• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selecting a disc basket for a new course

Kenny53691

Noodle Arm
I have been approached to design a disc golf course. I am gathering some pricing information for the guy before we meet. I am looking into picking out what baskets to price to give the guy a rough estimate before we go any farther. I am leaning toward the Innova DISCatcher because it's $325 and it includes the lock collar and installation tube. If you guys and send some of your basket selecting knowledge my way, I would greatly appreciate it. This won't be a pro caliber course, so I could probably get away with something not quite as nice as the DISCatcher. Could you guys help point me in the right direction? Thank you.

Consider all aspects of use, even those not related to price.
Two most common questions I would ask you when moving into consideration phase.

What is the current "standard" for your area? (players do like regional consistency)

And the second, which I hold as more important...

Is this location or course more likely to be beset by graffiti, stickers, or scribe marks? (maybe avoid yellow band tops)

Everything else beyond that is less important to me.

My two cents...

If you think there is a major concern for vandalism, expensive baskets may not be a good idea. Outside of that, the only other reason to not consider top-of-the-line baskets is money. If you have money for discatchers, that's probably an awesome choice. I've never been to a course and said, "I hate these damn Discatchers."

Consider all aspects of use, even those not related to price.
Two most common questions I would ask you when moving into consideration phase.

What is the current "standard" for your area? (players do like regional consistency)

And the second, which I hold as more important...

Is this location or course more likely to be beset by graffiti, stickers, or scribe marks? (maybe avoid yellow band tops)

Everything else beyond that is less important to me.

As for the "Standard", I would probably say that I see more DISCatchers more than anything else. The next closest course is about a 25 minute drive away, so there really isn't anything close that I would have to worry about keeping it similar with. As for vandalism, I wouldn't have too much of a concern. It's a "private community", but my wife's purse was stolen out of her car last year. Most people in my area have never even heard of disc golf (other than the people that I've got into it). The only thing that I may have to worry about is price (bang for the buck). That was why I came here and asked the experts.

Friend of mine makes baskets for under $200. They're PDGA approved up to B-Tier. He's got a facebook page for contact. His baskets are solid, and good-looking.

I may keep that in mind, thank you. I know that the Innova DISCatcher Sport basket for $199, but I'm not sure about it because it looks like it may come apart too easy, and I don't want to make vandalism easy in case it does happen.

We have the new pro 28 discatchers at the new course we are installing now. OMG These baskets are super nice!

We have the new pro 28 discatchers at the new course we are installing now. OMG These baskets are super nice!

Really? Where did you order them from and how much did they run? I saw them in the Innova catalog, but I didn't know if they were much different.

Really? Where did you order them from and how much did they run? I saw them in the Innova catalog, but I didn't know if they were much different.

We ordered 9 of them right from innova and I'm not exactly sure the final cost. I'd have to check with the club treasurer and look at the expense report. We got them back in November and the town we're installing the course paid for them we just made the order that's why the exact cost doesn't stick in my head. We have the old 24 chain basket at another of our local courses and the pro 28 seem to catch a few more of those outside putts and I have never seen the hard putt go straight in hit the pole and come right back out on the 28 chain model. Not saying i can't happen but I have seen it a few times on the 24 chain model.

Is the course wooded at all? If so, the discatchers are my top choice, they make it so much easier to see the pin from the tee.

I may keep that in mind, thank you. I know that the Innova DISCatcher Sport basket for $199, but I'm not sure about it because it looks like it may come apart too easy, and I don't want to make vandalism easy in case it does happen.

I'm under the impression that the Sport only comes as a portable. Though I'm too lazy to check.

You have to be concerned with durability, not just vandalism. How well it weathers over the years, how it will hold up if a tree falls on it or someone bumps it with a vehicle. Sports are great but I'm not sure I'd consider them for a permanent installation, and I'd question these factors on any basket significantly cheaper than Discatchers.

Is the course wooded at all? If so, the discatchers are my top choice, they make it so much easier to see the pin from the tee.

I would say about half of it will be wooded, but nothing too heavy. The yellow ban would still be nice and easy to see though.

You have to be concerned with durability, not just vandalism. How well it weathers over the years, how it will hold up if a tree falls on it or someone bumps it with a vehicle. Sports are great but I'm not sure I'd consider them for a permanent installation, and I'd question these factors on any basket significantly cheaper than Discatchers.

By my understanding, the Sport is make to be portable, that was my concern as well. There shouldn't be any way that a car would hit them, but vandalism would be my concern. kids will be kids, and I want this course to be around for a while with the least amount of cost so I can stay caught up with the upkeep.

I recently played a heavily wood course in Colorado that didn't use the DIScatchers specifically because of the yellow band at the top. The course is in a park and the park officials wanted the baskets to be as unobtrusive as possible. So, no yellow bands.

I understood their concern, but it certainly made it difficult to see the baskets on the heavily shaded course.

Mark

Last edited:
DISCatchers are Number One!

The INNOVA DISCatcher Pro is the most popular target in the World. As of May 28, 2013 there are more DISCatcher brand targets installed on courses than any other brand. According to DGCR, (as of 5/28/13) of the 5132 courses listed worldwide, 1644 had DISCatcher brand targets. The next closest brand was DGA Mach with 1462(all configurations).

More new courses are installed each year using DISCatchers than any other brand.

The DISCatcher target is top selling target for new course installations. According to DGCR database, (as of 6/6/13) of the 2620 courses installed between 2007 and 2013, 1064 or 40.6% used DISCatcher brand targets.

More annual course target data by year:
2012 473 courses, 190 DISCatcher (40.2% of all new courses)
2011 464 courses, 183 DISCatcher (39.4%)
2010 426 courses, 171 DISCatcher (40.1%)
2009 440 courses, 191 DISCatcher (43.4%)
2008 364 courses, 151 DISCatcher (41.5%)
2007 354 courses, 139 DISCatcher (39.3%)

I recently played a heavily wood course in Colorado that didn't use the DIScatchers specifically because of the yellow band at the top. The course is in a park and the park officials wanted the baskets to be as unobtrusive as possible. So, no yellow bands.

I understood their concern, but it certainly made it difficult to see the baskets on the heavily shaded course.

Mark

I've never heard of something like that before. but it does make sense. I'd rather have the yellow to catch people's attention so they may become interested in playing as well.

Latest posts