• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Shallow driving putters

wims

Double Eagle Member
I'm looking to pick up a putter or two that I can use for driving. I put with Wizards now, I enjoy them a lot for that. I don't like to throw them tho. They are way too deep for my hands and my ring finger often hook up to the rim, causing a wild shank. I got fairly small hands, definitely below average. I'm looking for a driving putter that will release cleanly. I'd prefer something stable that I can really crank on without it turning into a roller. Preferably not too grippy plastic, too grippy plastic also causes me to grip lock. In general, I grip lock a lot.
Any suggestions?

I think you would really like an envy. Shallower feel and it will go as far as you can throw it.

Envy. Soft Neutron is the most Overstable. N and P are plenty overstable, and no matter what it will have just stupid HSS, and reliable fade.

My hands are tiny, I drive putters with a power grip, and my experience is that if you're massively grip-locking way off target there are other issues with your form.

However, I always had problems getting a consistently clean release with deep putters, and a Latitude64 Pure works great for me. Feels pretty much like a mid in the hand, perfectly neutral flight especially in Opto plastic.

Best one ever for me was the DGA Breaker. It's over stable, but can fly and fall flat with some practice with it. Perfectly shallow.

The MVP Atom and Innova Colt are more neutral, point-and-shoot low profile driving putters. Really nice molds.

Man, so many choices...

Envy is a great driving putter for sure.
Pure is a great driving putter too. Especially if you like a shallow rim.
Chief is another shallow driving putter.
Colt seemed like it would be a good driving putter from my limited throws with it.

But as you being a Wizard thrower, you should REALLY check out the Fossil Fuel Lizards from Reptilian Disc Golf. Same mold as the Wizard, but the Fossil Fuel plastic molds up much tighter producing a definitively lower profile Wizard. With the lower profile and shoulder height, the disc is also a little faster than an average Wizard, which makes it an ideal driving putter. Can't recommend this disc enough for Wizard throwers that are looking for that similar feel in a putter that will have a little more speed and distance overall.

I have medium large hands, but I don't really like driving Wizards either. I used to think I really liked shallow putters as driving putters and that Wizards were too deep. However, I've found that it's actually more about the slope of the shoulder than the actual depth. Hence I have no problems driving with Scales despite the fact that they are actually deeper than Wizards because they don't have a sloped shoulder. However, I can't drive Whales at all because of the high, sloped shoulder.

At any rate, I think all the options presented here have been pretty good for smaller hands: Innova XT Colt, MVP Envy, MVP Atom, and Gateway Chief, all excellent options.

Envy. I don't bag one because I don't want too many different putters in my bag (that's what I tell myself...), but they feel so good and trustworthy every time I've thrown one. Shallow, good rim, great HSS.

Wizard is about as dep dish as it gets.

Most other putters will fit better in your hands.

Envy or Proxy or both. they are without question the best discs for what you are asking.

I'm leaning towards the Envy, but having read some up on it, some people are claiming that it's very overstable. Is this disc utility like overstable, or is it marginally overstable, or is it infact just straight stable? How does the soft Envy compare to the vanilla Proton Envy in regards to flight path?

The Proxy is also on my radar. How understable is it, is it Fuse type finesse understable or is it more like stable with a hint of turn?

I'm looking to pick up a putter or two that I can use for driving. I put with Wizards now, I enjoy them a lot for that. I don't like to throw them tho. They are way too deep for my hands and my ring finger often hook up to the rim, causing a wild shank. I got fairly small hands, definitely below average. I'm looking for a driving putter that will release cleanly. I'd prefer something stable that I can really crank on without it turning into a roller. Preferably not too grippy plastic, too grippy plastic also causes me to grip lock. In general, I grip lock a lot.
Any suggestions?

If you've only been playing for a short amount of time it is more likely an issue of how you are throwing (form & grip) more than the disc. You should do yourself a favor and learn how to do things like practice throwing with a fan grip and throw with cleaner form while you're new and impressionable. You'll benefit from it in much in the long than finding a specific disc. Good luck

If you've only been playing for a short amount of time it is more likely an issue of how you are throwing (form & grip) more than the disc. You should do yourself a favor and learn how to do things like practice throwing with a fan grip and throw with cleaner form while you're new and impressionable. You'll benefit from it in much in the long than finding a specific disc. Good luck

I'm for sure working on my form. I actually enjoy field work more than playing rounds. But if I'm going to play a round tomorrow I'll need a driving putter that I can use for short drives and upshots. I'm unable to fix my form in that short of a time. In fact, I don't see myself fixing my form this season at all. I'm not an athletic person and everything physical takes a lot of time for me to learn

the XT Colt is a great, shallow, straight flying w/ small fade driving putter...it's really a thing of beauty, and feels great in the hand...

Latest posts