• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Shallow driving putters

I'm leaning towards the Envy, but having read some up on it, some people are claiming that it's very overstable. Is this disc utility like overstable, or is it marginally overstable, or is it infact just straight stable? How does the soft Envy compare to the vanilla Proton Envy in regards to flight path?

The Proxy is also on my radar. How understable is it, is it Fuse type finesse understable or is it more like stable with a hint of turn?

Proxy is nothing like a Fuse. It's like a Buzzz/putter. You could say, it's butter.

Envys are not utility beefy. I've always felt like, they're kind of like a Rhyno, but with glide.

I find the soft Envys to have a bit less glide/more dumpy than the regular Ns.

A beat up N Envy around 170 is the correct answer to this thread.

To tell you about the Envy, let me describe a hole I always throw it on. It is 223 with woods running all the way down the left of the fairway( basket about 10 feet from woods), but basically open on the right. I generally aim 10 feet to the right of the basket. So this should tell you that it doesn't fade too much, but is certainly stable (doesn't turn) when I throw out to 250, which is about my max with the Envy. To be fair, my Envy is in proton, and I seem to remember reading that the neutron might be a tad more stable, but I don't have first hand experience.

Sorry dude have to disagree here get a nice Beat Pro D max weight Zone and it will change your life. hahaha :p

Before I threw an Envy, I used a beat to hell Zone for this shot. The one I have I got used, so no telling how long it took to get to that point. Any idea how long it does takes to break in Pro D Zone? It also flew a good deal farther for me than the Envy, but not so much that it really encroached on my mid territory. My problem was thrown full power, it would fly incredibly straight with no turn and almost no fade, but if I had to take something off of it for a shorter distance, the traditional Zone flight would rear its head a bit. It seemed really strange to me that about 30 feet difference in power would be the difference between no fade and a relatively hard fade.

Vibram Ridge --

Weights: 150-class through 180 g
Plastic: soft, medium and firm X-Link*
Features: shallow rim depth, micro-bead, flat-top, rounded nose
Offers: excellent range and control when approaching and driving. Handles a good deal of power but lacks glide when inside the circle. Lighter weights may compensate for lack of glide inside the circle.

*X-Link is a rubber-based elastomer, which is most similar to plastic in terms of feel and performance in the firm X-Link. Medium X-Link features excellent grip and durability. Soft X-Link features hit-and-stick/no-skips and minimal roll-aways. The X-Link compound doesn't skip like plastic does, however the soft X-Link has the least amount of skip, followed by medium and then firm, respectively.

I really enjoy the reliable driving putter slot. I've bagged Rhynos in past, which are good low profile driving putters, but the MVP/Axiom 10mm class (Atom, Proxy, Envy) are all in my bag now. FWIW, I have 11 Envy's in various plastics and the only ones I have found to be different stability wise are the Proton watermelon which seemed to have more LSS and a 163 Soft N, which seemed to have a little less HSS, likely due to weight. I've bagged heavy Ps, Ns and soft Ns and they all fly the same for me. I use the soft N now as it helps lessen tree hit bounces. Easily the most used disc in my bag.

Zone btw is also a must bag, but not as a primary driving putter. It is much too LSS for general use - which makes it essential when ultimate slow, heavy LSS is needed.

A question came up with concern for the envy being too overstable. And the type of envy to use.

My observations:

-At first my envy felt really overstable. I think partially due to the fact it is in a very rigid plastic. Great for durability but not for cooler weather.

-Now that it is warm(summer) that plastic is almost perfect. I have not thrown the soft envy but think I would yearn for a softer version of it come this fall.

-I don't think the envy is super beginner friendly. I would consider it a very high speed putter. If you could find one in low weights 150 range it might be perfect for slower arm speeds.

Don't get so stuck on one disc being the silver bullet. No such thing exists.

On this thread and others I'm hearing talk of a really good discraft putter to try. One that is super overstable utility. Need to check that one out.

Proton Soft Envy is a beautiful disc. Great feel in the hand, quite durable, decent distance on drives. However, it's not overly fast for a driving putter. You can definitely drive it well, but, other putters (Wizard, Prodigy) will go a good bit further.

In fact, a Prodigy PA3 has a slightly shorter rim height, but, slightly wider shoulder. The 350G plastic is beautifully gummy and semi-firm. Worth a look if you can find one in a local shop.

However, do not underestimate the fact that SO many people are saying Envy. It's truly a magnificent disc!

Cheers.

Before I threw an Envy, I used a beat to hell Zone for this shot. The one I have I got used, so no telling how long it took to get to that point. Any idea how long it does takes to break in Pro D Zone? It also flew a good deal farther for me than the Envy, but not so much that it really encroached on my mid territory. My problem was thrown full power, it would fly incredibly straight with no turn and almost no fade, but if I had to take something off of it for a shorter distance, the traditional Zone flight would rear its head a bit. It seemed really strange to me that about 30 feet difference in power would be the difference between no fade and a relatively hard fade.

It honestly takes no time at all to beat a Pro D Zone... Just throw it into a tree 50 times and try to bend the rim back to a flatish shape. It dosnt have to be prefect by any means I have even run one over a few times with a car hahah the things are almost indestructible. U can taco it and bend it back and im my experience they fly the same. Maybe try a lighter one if you want to take some power off the shot. I have noticed this issue somewhat but not to the extent that you described. I have to power down quite a bit before it becomes to overstable.

Man, so many choices...

Envy is a great driving putter for sure.
Pure is a great driving putter too. Especially if you like a shallow rim.
Chief is another shallow driving putter.
Colt seemed like it would be a good driving putter from my limited throws with it.

But as you being a Wizard thrower, you should REALLY check out the Fossil Fuel Lizards from Reptilian Disc Golf. Same mold as the Wizard, but the Fossil Fuel plastic molds up much tighter producing a definitively lower profile Wizard. With the lower profile and shoulder height, the disc is also a little faster than an average Wizard, which makes it an ideal driving putter. Can't recommend this disc enough for Wizard throwers that are looking for that similar feel in a putter that will have a little more speed and distance overall.

This, pretty much like says it all. Die-hard putter thrower and wizard user, just got my Fossil Flex Wizard in the mail, no flex, stiff as a board and low profile. I'm having to adjust to it because I like the deep rim of regular Wizard but the plastic is too nice not to throw it.

My line up is:

Zone (or Essential Discs Honey, which feels like a Gateway SS Zone to me!), Envy, Proxy.

The Proxy gets the most love and is my primary approach disc, and I use the Zone/Honey the least. Probably 50/50 with the Proxy and Envy on teeshots. I like the lack of a quick wear cycle, but I find myself acting frugally when faced with potentially losing them.

I bought an Envy today. It's 172, same as my Wizards. Throwing the Wizard is like riding a slightly too tall bike; I'm just slightly too short to get a full power step. The Wizard is slightly too deep for me to grip properly. The Envy on the other hand is like a perfectly adjusted bike. The depth is perfect, gripping the disc feels very natural, I get a snug grip that gives me a lot of confidence when throwing. I bought a Neutron, the plastic is slightly slick, but it's not too slick for throwing. I imagine that it would be too slick for regular putting, at least for my hands. Bringing a towel is a must tho, the plastic gets super slippery when wet.

I have only thrown it for about an hour, I threw it against my Wizards which are also 172g. It flies slightly more high speed stable than the Wizard, and it has just a little notch more fade. The differences are not huge tho. It has a bit more glide than the Wizard, when I put it on a hyzer it rides the hyzer to the ground, while the Wizard would drop out of the sky a bit more. Not cut fade, but it seems like the Wizard has more aerodynamic drag and less lift causing it to drop like a sack of potatoes. The glide of the Envy is not a hinder to it's ranging abilities, ranging in approach shots felt very natural, more so than the Wizard.

Seems like Axiom/MVP have a winner when it comes to a dedicated driving and approach putter. I love mine already!

Latest posts