• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Sheriff vs. Shryke

The G-star Shrykes are much more understable than Star or Champ. I have one in all 3 plastics and the G* is the only one that is what I'd call "flippy" out of the box for me. I have to throw it with lots of hyzer and it flips up and over, maybe fading a tiny bit at the end of its flight. I will say I've had my longest throws of the 3 plastics with the G* since it can crush on a big, high hyzer flip.

I won't throw any of them into a decent headwind, all a bit too understable for that. But both the Champ and Star fly nice straight lines when thrown with a little hyzer. They both flip to flat and cruise. I'll be doing some comparisons soon with my DDX's, which is my primary distance driver right now. Have to throw them head to head to see if the Shrykes can replace them. FWIW I get my DDX out to 425' consistently.

I've thrown Katanas with more stability than the Sheriff. I found the production lucid sheriff a bit of a disappointment vs the more stable proto version. The proto would turn in a tailwind on 400+ power which was a least useful in a tailwind:|

Anyway, I found a star Shryke and threw it on a big hyzer hole with a right to left cross wind. I was expecting it to at least go far but it just barrel rolled turn and burned. It's more understable than the vip Destiny I tested maybe close to my gold line Ballista aka roller.

edit: hey I'm 1000+ rated like SD8#

I think the Shryke falls into the same category as the DDX and Tern, being that all of them are very sensitive to torque. Not only that, but the Shrykes and Terns both vary stability from disc to disc.

With calm conditions or a tailwind I have zero issues throwing 170g+ Terns, Shrykes, or DDX's at full power. I give them a little bit of hyzer and let them flip up and ride. That's with 425' of power.

The competition is ovah...

Got some throws in on the course before weather moved in. Test conditions were prefect: it was windy! I threw the Sheriff into the wind on several holes and it did very well. The grip felt good, the release felt good, the flight was good. I didn't try any flex or turnover shots, just slight hyzers into the wind. Got distances as good as the Tern on calm days but with more stability.

The Sheriff is in the bag. The experiment with the Shryke is ovah.

Last edited:

Latest posts