• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoe deals?

ruby-slippers-wizard-of-oz.jpg

dont buy merrils. broke mine in about three months. they were a light weight one that had a lot of mesh, and the lace system just snapped on me.

after i have product failure i skip that company in the future.

dont buy merrils. broke mine in about three months. they were a light weight one that had a lot of mesh, and the lace system just snapped on me.

North Face is the same. I had the sole separate after three months of fairly light use. I could have gone through the hassle of a warranty return but I just took them to a shoe repair shop to glue back together. I only use them for casual use.

Funny thing is I bought some proper hiking boots for just a little bit more, that will last me for years.

I'm starting to hear this more and more about Merrills. They just don't seem to be making them as well as they used to, but they still cost an arm and a leg. They look good, but you could probably buy two pairs of a lesser-known shoe for the cost of one pair of Merrills.

I've had my Merrels for almost a year probably, 400+ rounds, still look amazing, FWIW.

You must be a ballerina on the tee pad. Congratulations twinkle toes. I'm obviously more of a clutz. I can kill any show in 6 months or less.

I think I have to be light on my feet because I am a ****ing huge. All that weight + dragging your feet = unstoppable doom.

You know they have a guarantee right? Ship them in and Merrell replaces them, no questions asked.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

I just spent $45 on three pairs of tennis shoes.

Can't argue with that deal, but can you re-post in a few months and let us know how they're holding up, although, for 15 bucks/pr. I guess it doesn't matter. ;)

REI all the way

go to REI and sign up to be a member (it does cost money)

buy a pair of shoes.

if you are a member they have a ridiculous shoe deal. Return them and pay 20 bucks and get an equal value brand new shoe back.

If the shoe is damaged in anyway you can return them and get an equal pair for free.

no questions asked and good for 10 years from the original purchase date. Can return shoes as many times as you want.

:clap: :thmbup:

Last edited:
I would suggest two different pairs of shoes. A dry pair, or hot, and dry days, and a waterproof pair, for wet, cold, and snow if you have any in your area

This is what I use, and I have found these to pairs to be very success full:

For dry, warm days, with no dew on the ground, I use the New Balance 573, all terrain shoe

WT573GB-2T.jpg

Very comfortable, made even more comfortable with some shoe inserts by Dr. Scholls . Gives great traction in all conditions. About $55 at Sports Authority

Now, for wet, cold, and dew on the ground, I prefer the New Balance Hiking Boot with Gore Tex

NewBalance1201.jpg

Great ankle support for slippery conditions, great traction, Vibram soles, very, very comfortable, and work great in rain, dew, water on the ground, and they keep your feet warm in the winter time as well. I love them. I have seen them online for as low as $70, but I found them at a New Balance Factory Outlet Store for $50.

I've had these since september of last year. I only wear them for DG but they're still going strong. They're advertised as water proof but I'd say they're more water resistant than water proof but they do pretty well in the rain/light snow. Vibram sole, it really doesn't show much wear at all.

Here are a couple pic's. For the price they've really held up well. Also, REI has awesome customer service so if you order the wrong size or something they're excellent with returns/exchanges.

I bought these 2 weeks ago off of your suggestion and am completely satisfied. For $60, this was a steal. they are totally water proof, light weight and durable. Great for playing DG in, at least thats my opinion.

:clap::hfive:
Glad you like them. I'm a big fan myself. Being that they held up so well I felt like I had to reccomend them as much as possible a. for the price and b. durability.

As I need quite a bit of ankle support, I play in Vasque Sundowners. About 15 minutes ago I just hooked up a new pair here for $135 instead of the usual $180.

Just got 'em today, and wow, am I happy.

vasques.jpg

They feel soooooo good, and aren't even broken in yet. :D

Just got 'em today, and wow, am I happy.

vasques.jpg

They feel soooooo good, and aren't even broken in yet. :D

Can't go wrong w/ vasques,my sundowners are going on 5 yrs,but I only wear them to disc in the winter. My summer disc shoes are releases from patagonia,great shoe,holding up great,and have vibram soles, but may be a little pricey,but well worth it.

Last edited:
Can't go wrong w/ vasques,my sundowners are going on 5 yrs,but I only wear them to disc in the winter. My summer disc shoes are releases from patagonia,great shoe,holding up great,and have vibram soles, but may be a little pricey,but well worth it.

I use them all year long. Great ankle support, not too heavy, and I don't need to worry about what the weather/course might bring my way.

I found my last pair of Vasques in my house after a party....in 1995. They just died this last February.

I expect a long fruitful relationship with these new ones....

Wow - didn't know Vasque Sundowners were still available. I bought my wife a pair of these 25+ years ago for backpacking. I guess the classics never go out of style.