• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

shoot one speed class lower than usual?

elmexdela

* Ace Member *
if this has been discussed please link it and well leave it at that...

but my question after playing today is- i am easily am to throw a smooth hyzer to the basket on this particular hole with my stalker. if i try throwing a wasp i usually end up a little under 50 ft shorter than the basket and hit this stupidly well placed tree to prevent my skip placement.

there are multiple holes on the course i typically play at where i feel i should be using a mid or something a speed class lower to reach the basket. its a pretty easy course so its about the same thing every time. it is def easier for me to use a faster disc and throw a big hyzer (basically no trees), but i do like the idea of throwing a slower disc to reach the target. mainly i want to improve my game so when i play at legit courses i can do better.

is pushing myself to throw something i wont typically be able to get to the basket with going to improve myself eventually? is it counter productive? i know my d isnt that big and i should post a video and have you all critique it. but for the time being im just interested in strategy

guess after i typed this all out its basically should i disc down to long term gain from this?

i dont throw anything above speed 9. max d is mids 300, stalker 330, saint 365

all shots i would throw with this change would something slower would be for example, i would use putters for my mid spot right now, mids for current fairways, and fairway for current distance, and distance like usual on the longest holes

What's the objective of golf again?

In a game situation, throw whatever disc is going to make that possible. There are no style points in disc golf for using a slower disc.

Now, practicing with your slower speed discs so you can expand your shot arsenal someday down the road? That's another matter.

Forehand? Fairway driver? Both options open up different flight planes and angles of approach. Let us know how it works out.

^^ what Scarp said. I'll often use a fairway for something I can reach with a mid, because I can use less power to get the same distance, which typically means more accuracy. Part of that is underpowering discs (particularly drivers) consistently yields a somewhat "overstable" flight line, with a hard fade and perhaps skip at the end. I may use overstable distance drivers to turn sharp, tight corners with low cielings where you can't throw up and over.

While discs are made with certain distance ranges and shots in mind, they're nothing more than tools for obtaining the lowest possible score. Haven't you ever used a screwdriver for something other than driving screws, or done something with a hammer besides drive a nail? That can work out pretty well, no?

Just because you can reach the pin with a slower disc doesn't mean that's necessarily the best disc for the shot. Do what works for you, and work on incorporating new shots techniques if you want to add some tools to your belt.

Last edited:
I'm a big advocate for just using what works best on the course. If throwing a driver powered down is more successful for you, stick to that.

If you want to get better at throwing mids, spend some time in the field trying to hit those same kinds of lines. Once you're more confident in that shot, put it to use on the course.

If you're talking about having a larger toolbelt of shots for playing wooded type courses, I'd say just hit the field and practice. Maybe I'm an odd duck, but when it's nice out, I enjoy an hour of field work just as much as a casual round...maybe more some days. For me, trying to use a regular round to learn new shots is counterproductive.

Throwing hyzers with faster discs is a pretty common way to increase consistency. It's just an easier shot. In practice, throwing those slower discs to see what you can do and to verify what the highest percentage shot is a good idea. If your score actually counts, stick with the hyzers and don't feel bad about it. It's what people who score well do.

i guess i just feel i plateau'd out, on my d and my total score. i throw both fh and bh but mostly bh. i only lose probably 30 ft of my fh compared to back hand.

the screwdriver analogy is a good one. i just want to up my toolbelt to be able to get some more d out of all my discs will still being accurate and push my discs out further than i currently am. maybe field work would be a better idea.

i am also talking about practice rounds. trying to push my current playing to get better.

For a long time I was focusing on discing down and would go play putter and mid only rounds. On a good day I could get a wiz out to 300 and mids out to the 330-340 range but that was when everything was clicking just right. I found that during actual golf rounds I was shooting worse because I was trying to force a lot of shots. If I walked up to a hole that was in the 320-330 range I was throwing a mid because I knew I could throw one that far, but realistically should have been throwing a fairway with nice smooth control instead.

Like others have said, if you want to get better at playing golf then play the shot that gives you the highest percentage of scoring the best. Forcing yourself to disc down doesn't necessarily do that.

^^ what Scarp said. I'll often use a fairway for something I can reach with a mid, because I can use less power to get the same distance, which typically means more accuracy. Part of that is underpowering discs (particularly drivers) consistently yields a somewhat "overstable" flight line, with a hard fade and perhaps skip at the end. I may use overstable distance drivers to turn sharp, tight corners with low cielings where you can't throw up and over.

While discs are made with certain distance ranges and shots in mind, they're nothing more than tools for obtaining the lowest possible score. Haven't you ever used a screwdriver for something other than driving screws, or done something with a hammer besides drive a nail? That can work out pretty well, no?

Just because you can reach the pin with a slower disc doesn't mean that's necessarily the best disc for the shot. Do what works for you, and work on incorporating new shots techniques if you want to add some tools to your belt.

This. I'm actually discing up more after a couple of extremely bad rounds in the wind and rain. Powering down a faster and/or more overstable disc in practice will, as stated above, (hopefully) give me the bad weather tool -- or at least some confidence is using it.

In a casual round I will often throw both. To get better with drivers you have to throw drivers and to get better with putters you have to throw putters. Both things help figure out overall form issues from oat to nose up and neither really benefit one or the other outside of cleaning up consistency in throwing the same line with every disc and building confidence through repetition.

guess my question is once you hit this plateau and you knew you were close to just needing like 25-50 more feet with your next slowest disc, how were you able to break it?

im just feeling stuck i suppose. maybe its cuz my course is pretty boring but i feel no matter what course it would be, i just plateau'd off. i need that next step for practicing

For me it's never been about the distance with slower discs but throwing them cleaner. I bagged a fuse when they came out foreverrrrrrrrr and got to the point where I could work it to oblivion. I suggest you find a disc and do the same. After that it was the ion and now tangent. I have thrown both these discs on holes and for shots most average/everyday players wouldn't even consider it but since doing so am very glad I did to see what they do and why. I throw putters off stupid inclines and for huge max D just like I throw crazy spike hyzers with a resistor at 225 down hill.

Its all about learning the hell out of your discs and perfecting the form. You will get more out of every disc by doing this. When you are stuck you know something isn't right or off and needs work. Whatever that is needs to be addressed but you cant gain distance just by throwing shots but rather understanding what is off with them.

Last edited:
If you are just trying to gain some more distance to be able to throw mids instead of fairway drivers the best solution is to watch videos then work on your form in the field.

However, I will say that I often suggest trying many different discs and lines then you would normally use during your casual rounds.

For me it's never been about the distance with slower discs but throwing them cleaner. I bagged a fuse when they came out foreverrrrrrrrr and got to the point where I could work it to oblivion. I suggest you find a disc and do the same. After that it was the ion and now tangent. I have thrown both these discs on holes and for shots most average/everyday players wouldn't even consider it but since doing so am very glad I did to see what they do and why. I throw putters off stupid inclines and for huge max D just like I throw crazy spike hyzers with a resistor at 225 down hill.

Its all about learning the hell out of your discs and perfecting the form. You will get more out of every disc by doing this. When you are stuck you know something isn't right or off and needs work. Whatever that is needs to be addressed but you cant gain distance just by throwing shots but rather understanding what is off with them.

interesting. maybe field work with different winds and throwing different lines would be best. ive had at least half my discs in my bag for 2+ years now. and almost all the molds despite two. i know them pretty well. sometimes regret switching the sw out of my bag cuz i knew that disc like it was my best friend (innova inconsistency drove me away)

maybe it is a form check that i need

Stalker is a buzz, just a little faster.

Throw what you think is going to work for you, at that moment. If your skills improve you may find a better option, but always trust what you think will work at that moment. So many factors affect any given shot its impossible to find hard and fast rules.

interesting. maybe field work with different winds and throwing different lines would be best. ive had at least half my discs in my bag for 2+ years now. and almost all the molds despite two. i know them pretty well. sometimes regret switching the sw out of my bag cuz i knew that disc like it was my best friend (innova inconsistency drove me away)

maybe it is a form check that i need

Form is something that always can be worked on as other mechanics improve and muscles get stronger etc. Sounds like you know your discs well so its easy to do work with them but also might even be TOO comfortable with the molds. For me I don't honesetly care about the name on the disc for how I need to throw I pretty much could throw anything given a few tosses with it and that's where you want to be. It only helps to have the discs you are comfortable with and confident in to make a consistent shots.

I love throwing un-conventional discs just to prove a point it doesn't matter what but more about HOW. People here think I love MVP or whatever but don't realize I've drive everything off a tee from birdies, bowflys, to grooves and soles with a garboid and medius thrown in the mix lol.

In the end, the number that matters is the one on the scorecard, not the speed rating assigned to the disc you used. Any opinion of what disc you threw is irrelevant except your own. Plateaus suck, and sometimes they are only broken through patient persistence.

If it is a practice round for a tournament, I will figure out what works consistently. If it is a casual round, I will push my slower discs to their max and see what I can do with them.