• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

short mid-range / Long putting style - GOOD or BAD

ChampionKirby

Par Member
So i have been playing for about a year now. 5 of those months i could not play because i tore my MCL back in december. i'm just now starting to get back into it. I've found that throwing a high slant for the basket from 50feet - 120feet really helps me. i know most people like to throw straight but i like to not really throw it high but put more of a high hyzer on my shot. i like this for a few reasons. 1. because i made 2 sick 70 foot putts today but also because if i do miss 90% of the time it leaves me in easy putting distance. Now i know this isn't quite PRO status play, but should i keep what i'm doing now or try and change it? Let me try and give a better example of what i'm talking about. most people from 70 feet out straight throw at probably 10 feet off the ground and only about 3-5 feet from the side of the basket depending on how much they hyzer or anhyzer. i like to throw mine about 30-40 feet off the ground and about 15 feet from the right side of the basket leaving the disc at a huge hyzer. i don't know how but i usually come VERY close to the basket. all my friends think this is a bad style.

I do the same thing, I don't really know if you should keep doing that or not. I would if you cannot putt from over 50 feet away. I like to throw the hyzer approach because it is more accurate for me, it is too hard for me to throw a perfectly flat throw at low power, I can do that driving a putter but not approaching. Plus I think this way of doing it is more reliable because the you know where the disc is going to end up almost all of the time, instead of throwing a flat one and having it turn over.

Everyone develops their own style over time, but one thing worth pointing out about this approach is that you are increasing the distance you have to throw by doing it. You could try throwing it 10 feet off the ground and 5 feet to the right with some hyzer, and the effect should be similar but it would be a shorter throw.

Sounds like you are talking about a hyzer putt?

I started doing this, not as extreme, back when I found that I seem to hit shots that are pretty long when there was a tree right in front of the basket but there does seem to be just a small block of distance from the basket where it cant be too short and cant be too long, but I have gotten better at it with shorter distances lately, which I noticed by having to putt around some trees again.

Its become more of just a tool that is in my arsenal as you will want to have the ability to do a straight shot as it seems they lik to put baskets between trees sometimes instead of behind them.

Nothing wrong with that approach, I use that shot myself when I'm outside putting distance. Now, putting distance is a relative term; it can be different for each of us. For me, about 80-90ft. Outside that, I'm going with the hyzer.

I have also developed a "go for it" putt, thrown on a slight anny with a touch of nose-up. THis allows me to throw at the basket, hold a straighter line, and the nose up helps to stall the disc out, dropping it close. This is also helpful if the hyzer line is blocked.

But 30-40 ft in the air is a bit higher then may be required, try bringing it down to 10-15. But you're on the right track of knowing how to leave it close.

I'm not sure I'd do it at 50', but I'll approach like that sometimes depending on the situation for the same reasons you listed. I'd learn other ways to approach, too, but what you're doing is a great skill to have.

what discs are you using for this type of shot? putters? I have friends who do it with drivers and think it is funny. I like to throw a putter with a level release about 6-8' off the ground about 5' out to the right and let it fade towards the basket at the end. If I'm going to try to lay-up, I'll sometimes use the hyzer route, but will keep it quite a bit lower than you do; trying to land at the base of the basket rather than make it.

Wind could be bad since the disc is getting higher up in the air. The landing zone could cause problems if it is uneven causing rolls with the disc's weight and gravity playing a bigger role.

I generally go at the basket from the hyzer side. Sounds like you have discovered that its easier to have the disc fading as the disc reaches the basket. But, that can be accomplished by throwing a little lower with more spin and a tad nose-up.

The hyzer air bounce shot where you dip your wrist down and up at the last moment gets the nose angle, spin and trajectory to run at the basket but if you miss you can still land within the circle. The anyhyzer shot with a little nose-up is a stall shot that should hover as it gets closer to the basket. Take those same concepts to the drivers and get more lines and more options.

Fun to air bounce a Sidewinder and out throw and out fade others throwing Wraiths and Destroyers. Great shot for a right shoulder tailwind, get the disc up in that tailwind and let the wind push the disc, and then bounce off the wind and get a huge fade. Some of the faster discs outrace the wind.

I put this way. I don't think its the best way to put, but its the way that I feel most comfortable. i have a friend that is way better than I am, and he seems to roll the putter off his palm, with a lot of snap for longer putts. I have another friend that straddle putts.
Putting sucks, do what gives you the best results.

I pretty much do that for most throws outside of where I can "turbo putt" I have made the most that way and like to leave it close after giving it a shot a going in.

If it is working for you, it isn't a bad style. The more shots you can use the better off you are.

If you're making your putts with that style then keep using it. The object of the game is to get it in the basket. Don't let peer pressure, or anything else, change what's comfortable and working for you.
But, you can't always get to the basket that way so you'll also have to learn to putt straight at the basket.
It's always good to be able to make different type of shots. One way will be easier for you then the other, but you still need to know how to do them both to compete.

Best way to learn how to putt straight is practicing down a hall way 30 ft long.

So i have been playing for about a year now. 5 of those months i could not play because i tore my MCL back in december. i'm just now starting to get back into it. I've found that throwing a high slant for the basket from 50feet - 120feet really helps me. i know most people like to throw straight but i like to not really throw it high but put more of a high hyzer on my shot. i like this for a few reasons. 1. because i made 2 sick 70 foot putts today but also because if i do miss 90% of the time it leaves me in easy putting distance. Now i know this isn't quite PRO status play, but should i keep what i'm doing now or try and change it? Let me try and give a better example of what i'm talking about. most people from 70 feet out straight throw at probably 10 feet off the ground and only about 3-5 feet from the side of the basket depending on how much they hyzer or anhyzer. i like to throw mine about 30-40 feet off the ground and about 15 feet from the right side of the basket leaving the disc at a huge hyzer. i don't know how but i usually come VERY close to the basket. all my friends think this is a bad style.

Wind can give you hard times doing this....you may want to try like a champion rhyno(putter) when making these shots....it wants to sink...and it is moving slow....so it won't want to skip on you

if you want more speed than maybe a innova pig or zone....

I use to do the same thing too...but now(in calm weather) i will throw like a discraft glide on a more shallow hyzer at the basket which holds a nice glide line

be sure when you shoot into the wind that the disc's belly is not exposed...so if you are throwing right handed, and the wind is going left to right....this is good....but if the wind is right to left....try to throw the disc flatter....expecting it is going to be pushed left by the wind...sinker discs like the zone and rhyno are great for approach and putt shots like this....gl

I have also developed a "go for it" putt, thrown on a slight anny with a touch of nose-up. THis allows me to throw at the basket, hold a straighter line, and the nose up helps to stall the disc out, dropping it close. This is also helpful if the hyzer line is blocked.

I'm glad you mentioned this I developed this same technique almost by accident. Missed a straight putt from about 50' just off the chains, so in frustration I threw my other putter hard and it came out slightly anny and flattened right out and I sank it. Dead on.

It's become the "go to" shot in my arsenal. I approach and even use mids this way. With this technique I'm continually pushing back my own long putt records (currently sitting at about 80' EDIT: I can't count on both hands how many 40-50' I've also sank not to mention the countless others that have just missed. Basically just go out and learn this technique!)

Hyzer putting on the other hand I think should be saved as more of a utility shot for getting around trees and other obstacles to make a run at the basket.

If the basket is 30' away you straight ahead should try and make the putter only have to travel 30' keep it simple.

Edit: I putt with a SSS Wiz and my Long Putt was actually made with a DX Roc but it was more of a putt toss than a true mid toss.

Last edited:
I'm sure you've already run into this, or thought of it, but a lot of courses have pin locations where overhanging branches/foliage will prevent you from using that style. But there will be a pin location every now and then that will prevent you from using your putting style, no matter how you putt.

Honestly, if you can get complete control of whatever style you use, and get consistent with it, you'll have a leg up. Having said that, I don't think that spike-hyzering every putt is the best one to use.

Latest posts