• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Short stride

These threads make me wish so badly that I had some sort of net to throw into indoors or in the yard.

That's exactly what I did this winter. I bought a net and PVC to build a frame (cost about $60 total). It is a much more efficient way to correct form and develop muscle memory... especially when combined with video/review. Not to mention how difficult it is to do field work in the winter... cold muscles and tight tendons, slippery surfaces, snow, wet discs, etc.

That's exactly what I did this winter. I bought a net and PVC to build a frame (cost about $60 total). It is a much more efficient way to correct form and develop muscle memory... especially when combined with video/review. Not to mention how difficult it is to do field work in the winter... cold muscles and tight tendons, slippery surfaces, snow, wet discs, etc.

I ended up getting a cheap set of flat sheets, a grommet kit, and a few screw in hooks- i think i spent about $30- used a couple little circles of canvas, covered them in hot glue and folded them in the top corners of the sheets for reinforcement, then grommeted those spots, put the hooks in a wide door frame, and hang up the sheets to throw into. 2 sheets about 4 inches apart catch even drives. folds up into the size of 2 bedsheets too- easy to put up and take down.

Having all the angles and everything specified helps me quite a bit. Thanks!

By99Peg.jpg

So maybe closer to 11:00.

And after watching SW's video again, I see that he does indeed hammer forward.

:D

By99Peg.jpg

So maybe closer to 11:00.

And after watching SW's video again, I see that he does indeed hammer forward.

:D
You aren't throwing straight there, your apex is more like 1 or 2 o'clock on a hyzer which would change the orientation of the clock.

Do you consciously pause your shoulders to let the arm unwind (between the 2nd and 3rd images on the top)?

This thread has gotten awesome, btw.
The pause happens from bracing against the front side, pauses the hips and shoulders, shoulders just follow the hips. You have to provide some resistance to generate torque and release the end levers. If you watch Jamie Sadlowski or Bubba Watson, you can see their hips stop well before impact and then continue to rotate, some people call it anti-rotation. You will see all the top dg throwers do this as well, but it happens closer to impact because a disc golf club is a much shorter lever than a ball golf club.

b3EYdZW.jpg

Like damn near every aspect of this thing, it's not that simple is it?!

So here's beato, if 12:00 is the line that you're disc is travelling on - it would be more like that I believe. This is because when you let go of the disc, the disc is not travelling the direction of target at that instant (like in a snap shot). You have to take into account the next frame to see what direction the disc was travelling.

Wasn't that a big old hyzer? So the disc was going to fly out to the right and back in. do the same with Mike C's top down they were straight putter shots.

yeh that works better the target is actually at the second line down (and what he is aimed up to ) but the disc is thrown on a hyzer along the top line.

2nd one is much better. I think it would be easiest to draw the clock relative to the teepad, but that only works on a straight flat shot.

I was thinking about the whole hammering thing yesterday a lot. I think it might be a good exercise to take a hammer, and just hammer into a post. You would be able to feel all the bracing, and also where you get the best leverage to hit the post with the hammer. In a real throw, things should be very similar, if not identicle (I haven't tested this exercise yet), except just imagine someone moved the post at the last second right before you made impact. Imagine the hammer has like a 3' rope attached around your wrist, and by missing the post, the hammer flies forward out of your hand. As the hammer is flying forward and the rope gets taught, your shoulders would catch and then tug the hammer to the side by rotating your torso and shoulders -- Now with this added force, the rope breaks, and the hammer goes flying 9999mph towards the target.

With a disc, instead of the hammer flying out of your hand, you get the palm ejection and disc pivot (the rope is already taught), now you pull sideways on the disc as it's rotating forward out of your hand to get the extra fling.

I totally get what you're saying, but I think that analogy might be a tad confusing - mostly because adding in a rope it becomes a bit too un-similar to a disc. At least for me.

It's a brutally complicated bit of trickery that happens in so little amount of time that most cameras can't do it any amount of justice.

I did drag a hammer out to the field a couple times, and the biggest issue is how different it is holding a hammer and holding a disc. I ended up trying to pinch the bottom of the handle like a thick disc - but the hammer weighs so much that is very hard to swing and hold.

Instead of a hammer would Brad's idea of throwing a stick or Blake's idea of throwing a pen be more helpful?

Maybe. I think the hammer into a post would be better though because you're going to brace against the impact (like SW was mentioning about the anti-spin) and the stick/pen is so light you might not really notice (or even be required) to brace. The stick and pen you would notice the leverage (where you leverage the outside of the stick/pen forward), but not necessarily the stuff that's happening with your body

I totally get what you're saying, but I think that analogy might be a tad confusing - mostly because adding in a rope it becomes a bit too un-similar to a disc. At least for me..

Yeah, just trying to add an explanation/analogy to the pot that may resonate with someone. I was hoping to help people understand how the disc's mass is moving forward despite you tugging it to the side. EG: the hammer leaving your hand, and then tugging the rope.

Maybe. I think the hammer into a post would be better though because you're going to brace against the impact (like SW was mentioning about the anti-spin) and the stick/pen is so light you might not really notice (or even be required) to brace. The stick and pen you would notice the leverage (where you leverage the outside of the stick/pen forward), but not necessarily the stuff that's happening with your body
I'd advise to do both. It's the same leverage/throwing mechanics, just different weighting at the end. With a hammer you really feel it through your body though and is what showed me how little wrist movement is needed.

Yeah, just trying to add an explanation/analogy to the pot that may resonate with someone. I was hoping to help people understand how the disc's mass is moving forward despite you tugging it to the side. EG: the hammer leaving your hand, and then tugging the rope.
The rope is basically the arm in the Reciprocating Dinglearm drill, you keep it taut to the weight of the hammer or disc and feel where you can accelerate to throw the momentum using your weight.

Maybe if you said the string was tied around your index finger, then the handle of the hammer slips out of your hand (pinky, ring, middle fingers blow off the rim) you're left with the index on the string that's pulling the string with the shoulder opening?

I'm liking where the concept is going.

Maybe if you said the string was tied around your index finger, then the handle of the hammer slips out of your hand (pinky, ring, middle fingers blow off the rim) you're left with the index on the string that's pulling the string with the shoulder opening?

I'm liking where the concept is going.

Yeah that works too.

I think Blake's yo-yo drill is the closest thing that actually relates to a disc for that part of the throw. I think most people won't get the palm ejection with the drill and just let the disc freely swing out and away from their palm though -- which won't help you in an actual throw.

Latest posts