• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Short stride

Careful what you ask for... I only publish about 1% of the video I shoot. Most of it's so I can take a look if I'm not hitting right or whatever. And most often I'm throwing fieldwork from 285-325' with putters and mids trying to develop accuracy and consistency more than just distance.

Exactly right :) but the thing is if you "go" for 12'oclock you'll never grip lock the disc ejects way before that and in the direction you want it to. I think that was what you were trying to say and I can't agree more. Seriously guys this is a game changer for me, feels like Christmas.

Gotta a question about the shoulders opening. Is the bulk of the acceleration for the hit happening between 11:00 and 12:30/1:00. I know the disc ejects with the shoulders open to around 1:00. The acceleration begins after the disc leaves the pocket and the arm is extending, so 11:00? Or as late as possible to allow the arm to work?

I read a comment by Walker about it being a very short burst with the shoulders and am trying to work that into my visualization.

This whole short stride thing gave me my single biggest breakthrough in a year or so, and I think I understand why it happened. The change I made was drastically slowing and shortening my x step in an attempt to engage the hips more.

Looking at my video you can see the difference between the acceleration of the disc between my long/fast x step and my shortened/slowed x step. I am bringing much less speed into the right pec position, but I'm noticeably accelerating out from there AND I'm able to bring all of that speed through the hit rather than having my hand blow off early.

Bad (about 315' with an FD):

Good (300' with an aviar! This is huge for me!):

Take a look at the acceleration difference. In the bad video look how much faster the disc gets to the right pec than in the good video. Obviously I still have lots of issues to work on but this was a huge breakthrough.

The "good" video cuts off just a little too much of the disc as it's coming out of my hand but look at that aviar! It's flexing coming around my hand and I'm holding it past 3:00. All of the speed I brought in got used, and resulted in the laziest 300' putter throws I've ever hard. Best feeling ever.

All of this is me trying to say that if you aren't taking advantage of the hit and making it past 3:00 then everything else is wasted. Doesn't matter how good you brace or use your hips or anything if you don't get the hammer effect and hold the disc to at least a bit past 3:00.

Hmm, perhaps it's a good time to find the links for all the vids getting referenced and put them all together in one place. That would be an organized thing for me to do, eh? Tracking them down in different places over and over is not a good use of my time, I'd say.

I've asked for this before - the technique sticky has some of them but it's from 2010 and doesn't have a lot of the more recent Blake, Beto, SW22, HUB and other videos, diagrams and tips. I'd put it together but I may not pick the right ones.

https://www.pinterest.com/heavydiscblog/disc-golf-backhand/

I've tried to remember to dump interesting videos in there. I know SW22 has a mega-load of videos bookmarked away somewhere!

Re: shoulder involvement. I've tried to describe it a few times, it's utterly impossible see minor changes - but Eagle falls on the "heavy" end of the spectrum in terms of using his shoulders to multiply the hit.

5lp6goh.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/5lp6goh.gifv

(not sure I can embed the new imgur gifv type)

Eagle and Simon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwuBQp_q2DY) both tend to have their shoulders more open at the hit than SW and AJ.

I don't think one or the other is necessarily better - I do think that it's easier for me to be more accurate with less - and easier to get a little more distance with more.

Last edited:
CLard - looking good. Love seeing that "effortless putter to 300" shot - keep up the good work.

I also hope everybody checks out Chris's new article at www.heavyDisc.com - thoroughly enjoyable reading! Can't wait for part 2

I've asked for this before - the technique sticky has some of them but it's from 2010 and doesn't have a lot of the more recent Blake, Beto, SW22, HUB and other videos, diagrams and tips. I'd put it together but I may not pick the right ones.

Actually, I think I found such a collection. I went looking after I posted about it to see what I could find:

http://ripsychotherapy.com/pdf/RightPecDrill.pdf

Contains links to videos and posts from discussions on the topics. The page title is "Disc Golf Drills from DiscGolfReview.com" though the link obviously references the right pec drill.

What I think I'm going to do is assemble a procedural that takes all of the drills and info in the order that I use them in my rebuilding process, with photos or illos of the pertinent positions and how the timing works.

So, a look at the Stage One throw, with full description of each element, photos or illos of it, and then videos of the drills associated with developing that stage. Then on to Stages Two and Three.

Gotta a question about the shoulders opening. Is the bulk of the acceleration for the hit happening between 11:00 and 12:30/1:00. I know the disc ejects with the shoulders open to around 1:00. The acceleration begins after the disc leaves the pocket and the arm is extending, so 11:00? Or as late as possible to allow the arm to work?

I read a comment by Walker about it being a very short burst with the shoulders and am trying to work that into my visualization.

With my limited experience I'd say you are right about it accelerating at 11.

This is hard because you're using 2 reference points/clocks (overall clock of where the "hit" happens, and another clock of where your shoulders are pointing) and also dependent on if you're using the hammer pound or the rail.

For me, with the hammer pound, the acceleration into the hit (the 11 o'clock reference point in HUB's screenshots/overlays), is much more relaxed (you're not really trying to go too fast just yet [and you can't afford to go fast either]) and then when the pound portion occurs (11 o'clock), you explode with your core and shoulders to tug the disc another inch or two until the disc slings out.

With the rail it feels more like your swinging a baseball bat from the right-pec position forward. It kind of feels like your elbow is your wrists, and your forearm/disc are the bat. But, even with the rail, you are still focusing the power towards the target -- which is 12 o'clock way off in the distance, not 12-o'clock directly in front of you. If we're using your spine as the center for the clock, would end up being the 11 o'clock from all these marked up photos

hopefully that makes sense!

With the rail it feels more like your swinging a baseball bat from the right-pec position forward. It kind of feels like your elbow is your wrists, and your forearm/disc are the bat. But, even with the rail, you are still focusing the power towards the target -- which is 12 o'clock way off in the distance, not 12-o'clock directly in front of you. If we're using your spine as the center for the clock, would end up being the 11 o'clock from all these marked up photos

I guess I forgot to answer some of your question on this part! Whether hammer or rail, you would begin accelerating at basically the right-pec position. From that point forward, the hammer would be a lazier acceleration into a violent pound, and the rail you ramp up in speed and force much sooner, but still "pound" towards the target. Please ask questions if that doesn't make sense, it's hard to describe!

First let me say thanks for all of the last 6 months journeys & trials. Read all the heavy disc info, thanks to the new guys too. Got a little perplexed on the power pocket excelleration piont? I wasn`t sure if it`s at the begining of this arch or the NOS point you meantioned at maybe more at 10:00-11:00. Still waiting on nice weather & my aahh-hhaa moment.

First let me say thanks for all of the last 6 months journeys & trials. Read all the heavy disc info, thanks to the new guys too. Got a little perplexed on the power pocket excelleration piont? I wasn`t sure if it`s at the begining of this arch or the NOS point you meantioned at maybe more at 10:00-11:00. Still waiting on nice weather & my aahh-hhaa moment.

It's really about leading with the elbow and getting the disc in to the right pec/mid chest position. Having a proper backswing and weight shift and then bracing will force your body to whip your arm out. Your arm can't be whipped out if it's not in that right pec position. Post some video in the form analysis forum, and we can get you squared away. Video is the best way to diagnose problems.

This is hammering toward the target specifically the bottom middle pic with the hammer hitting the nail flush to the target:
snaphammer.png

What is the difference between the pink and green hammers.
What is the lesson?
What are you trying to show?

What is the difference between the pink and green hammers.
What is the lesson?
What are you trying to show?

green is where the actual weight of the disc is, pink is where it feels like the weight is. Those drawings are wrong though. The top-right and bottom-left the pink hammer should be rotated 90 degrees to the right (head pointing towards the target), the bottom middle the entire image should be rotated 90 degrees to the right and the bottom-right one is all screwey.

I guess the lesson is how to throw/leverage the weight of the disc for mucho-grande snap.