• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Short stride

Those drawings are wrong though. The top-right and bottom-left the pink hammer should be rotated 90 degrees to the right (head pointing towards the target), the bottom middle the entire image should be rotated 90 degrees to the right and the bottom-right one is all screwey.
I disagree. The head of the hammer must be kept back if you want to leverage it. Once the head passes your hand, it's momentum is set.

Looking at that video, frame by frame, trying to sort out the sequence of events- I am still trying to get exactly what motion happens when- heres what I am seeing

1. Full reach back when right toe hits the ground

2. Hips turn from backwards to closed position as the right heel braces, still reaching back

3. Hips and shoulders start to open as the disc is guided to the left pec

4. Arm snaps forward, but not as much hip/shoulder rotation here

5. Arm follows through, lower body trails the arm.

Am I seeing that correctly?

I have been seeing lots of comments about keeping the shoulders closed until the disc is under the right pec, but from the looks of that McBeth video- he already starts rotating the hips and shoulders as he guides it in- so its in under the left pec instead-

Is there a benefit to either way? Is one method more efficient than the other?

I have been seeing lots of comments about keeping the shoulders closed until the disc is under the right pec, but from the looks of that McBeth video- he already starts rotating the hips and shoulders as he guides it in- so its in under the left pec instead-

Is there a benefit to either way? Is one method more efficient than the other?
You can be rotating, but still closed. I think of it as being braced still so you can leverage and release the arm. Jamie Sadlowski said his shoulder is still closed at impact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfIQgr1ojvg#t=3m15s

I disagree. The head of the hammer must be kept back if you want to leverage it. Once the head passes your hand, it's momentum is set.

It's a small distinction, but hammering to the right changes things for me at in the very last bit. Feeling like you're trying to hammer to the right doesn't mean I hold it to the right, but I think it helps get my extension out front.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it feels like I'm slinging it where I paused it when the disc is out front.

Forgive the sloppy form, this is from early days with the wide rail, but the disc WILL eject so hard, regardless of your grip strength and for me it promotes when to put the final "umph" into the disc. No grip lock, minimal body strain.

3wMAf6r.gif

It's a small distinction, but hammering to the right changes things for me at in the very last bit. Feeling like you're trying to hammer to the right doesn't mean I hold it to the right, but I think it helps get my extension out front.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it feels like I'm slinging it where I paused it when the disc is out front.

Forgive the sloppy form, this is from early days with the wide rail, but the disc WILL eject so hard, regardless of your grip strength and for me it promotes when to put the final "umph" into the disc. No grip lock, minimal body strain.

3wMAf6r.gif

you're NOT crazy, this is exactly what I feel. you pound the hammer head (pink) forward directly towards the target (I reference it by where my thumb is pointing), and then the momentum/mass of the disc starts going forward simultaneous to your shoulders tugging to the side/outward (bradley walker's outward pull) -- which makes it feel like you're slinging/flinging the crap out of the disc. this is the IN/OUT in the diagrams I made before. IN is the pound, OUT is the sling. Pounding it (IN) gets your pinch point to ~3 o'clock on the disc (right where you paused it), then the sling part is what gets you from 3 to 4-4:30

you're NOT crazy, this is exactly what I feel. you pound the hammer head (pink) forward directly towards the target (I reference it by where my thumb is pointing), and then the momentum/mass of the disc starts going forward simultaneous to your shoulders tugging to the side/outward (bradley walker's outward pull) -- which makes it feel like you're slinging/flinging the crap out of the disc. this is the IN/OUT in the diagrams I made before. IN is the pound, OUT is the sling. Pounding it (IN) gets your pinch point to ~3 o'clock on the disc (right where you paused it), then the sling part is what gets you from 3 to 4-4:30

Okay, then I completely understand what that diagram meant! It was a bit hazy before.

That's why I have said a few times, in posts and heavyDisc, that it's almost like I'm pulling back on the disc in the last bit. Or it's pulling me to the side.

My grip has changed to accommodate this slinging too, mainly in that my index finger is more like a hook, and the thump puts pressure on the 2nd knuckle to lock the hook into place as snug as possible.

I agree that you would keep it back, and then leverage it forward; but at the part of the throw referenced in that drawing, it should have already been leveraged forward. It's hard to reference this drawing because in order to get the pink hammer where it's supposed to be, you would have to redraw the hand/wrist/arm/shoulders for it to make sense.

I agree that you would keep it back, and then leverage it forward; but at the part of the throw referenced in that drawing, it should have already been leveraged forward. It's hard to reference this drawing because in order to get the pink hammer where it's supposed to be, you would have to redraw the hand/wrist/arm/shoulders for it to make sense.

pzdx4x2.jpg

Page 1, I was saying the same thing.

Okay, then I completely understand what that diagram meant! It was a bit hazy before.
Any ideas on what to add/change/remove/etc... in order to improve it? Ideally I would like to have it so that people referencing it can understand what's happening, and try to cut down on all the confusion of people trying to describe things through text.

My grip has changed to accommodate this slinging too, mainly in that my index finger is more like a hook, and the thump puts pressure on the 2nd knuckle to lock the hook into place as snug as possible.
Nice, that sounds like what I do as well! You can increase your lock finger pressure too so that it has to fight harder to eject and pivot out away from your palm -- Blake talks about that in the myth of disc pivot thread. You will get numb finger tips as if you were learning to play the guitar :(

Any ideas on what to add/change/remove/etc... in order to improve it? Ideally I would like to have it so that people referencing it can understand what's happening, and try to cut down on all the confusion of people trying to describe things through text.

Nice, that sounds like what I do as well! You can increase your lock finger pressure too so that it has to fight harder to eject and pivot out away from your palm -- Blake talks about that in the myth of disc pivot thread. You will get numb finger tips as if you were learning to play the guitar :(

It's not for a lack of trying, but I haven't had much luck in really getting past that last explanation in this thread: hammering to the right.

My index knuckle actually gets sore like back in my climbing days of crimping on small holds.

I decided to put my money where my mouth is and tried to throw left handed with just the hit. I've thrown left handed for about 4 shots previously. It's not smooth, but that motion still had me throwing about 270' with a truth.

My hand really hurt doing it due to the blood flowing into it.

I'll try to shoot a video once the snow chills out.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112863

Post 15.

SW, you throw like AJ. AJ doesn't really hammer to the right. He hammers forward. You guys barely get your shoulders involved in the hit, probably because you're getting plenty of momentum out of your bigger frames.

Simon / Eagle - smaller framed guys seem to have found that slinging the hit with the timing of the shoulders can get great results.

http://i.imgur.com/5lp6goh.gifv

BTW, I don't think anybody in Denver can throw as far as Eagle. Maybe a few, but very few. He probably weighs 130 pounds.

There's more than one way to skin this cat.

You guys are crazy.

0176f6fb28c3ba5933240cc6cbcb2f12.gif

My favorite drill to do in clinics is something that evolved from the bottle drills on DGR. I get some pvc pipe, 1ft or so. Put a cap or something of the sort on it. I hold the pvc pipe by the cap, and do my throw at high speed. I can leverage the pipe out of the cap and like 75ft down the fairway. Usually the cap shoots straight backwards out of my hand. I use it to help show the leverage you can create with proper technique. Its an eye popper.