• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoulder injury

Disc bro

Hey guys just wondering if any of you have suffered a shoulder injury,maybe throwing too much,not sure how i hurt mine unless it's from too many thumbers,but how long did it take to heal? what did you do to recover? Thanks:thmbup:

Hey guys just wondering if any of you have suffered a shoulder injury,maybe throwing too much,not sure how i hurt mine unless it's from too many thumbers,but how long did it take to heal? what did you do to recover? Thanks:thmbup:

I think you answered your own question. Go see a doctor. Good luck and heal up quick.

When in doubt, stop and take time off. Your shoulder will let you know when it's ready to throw again.

Hey guys just wondering if any of you have suffered a shoulder injury....how long did it take to heal? what did you do to recover? Thanks:thmbup:

No one else's experience is going to mean anything in your case.

My personal answer was 2 years down, then surgery, then about 6 months to get almost back to where I'd been before.

What's that mean to you? Nothing. You might need 10 days off. You might need surgery. You might do permanent damage by guessing.

The only answer that matters in your situation is going to come from a doctor.

Don't mess around with your shoulders, man. David has it right. Your shoulders are actually pretty fragile and any kind of injury to the joint and its surrounding tissues is very easily exacerbated and takes a long time to heal. I too dealt with shoulder issues for years and while I never had surgery it took a very long time and a lot of rehabilitative effort on my part to bring it back up to speed.

^all of that...

Throwing a lot of overhand messed up my shoulder... I did PT for a while and as long as I keep doing that the shoulder is really good... but if I slack on my exercises and go do some epic golf it will hurt like a mother and I'm taking advil and tylenol like they're tic tacs...

I went to a chiro for my shoulder... I'm not sure what your symptoms are so... maybe see your primary doctor first...

It's a bit of a sore spot to me, because I lost most of 2 years trying to self-diagnose and treat a shoulder injury. Rest, chiro, therapy, pain tolerance, pain killers.....Turned out it was a torn labrum, and none of that stuff was going to fix it.

On the other hand, I'm currently trying to self-diagnose and treat 2 knee injuries. Is hypocrisy a violation of website terms?

Go see a doctor. Good luck and heal up quick.

What's that mean to you? Nothing. You might need 10 days off. You might need surgery. You might do permanent damage by guessing.

The only answer that matters in your situation is going to come from a doctor.

If you don't know what your injury is you don't know how to treat it.
Please see a medical professional.

I can only add to this.

Please see a doctor.

I'm going to my chiropractor today I'm hoping it's just a sprain, only Hurt's when i try to lift my arm up over my head, maybe just a sprain

I fought shoulder pain for a long while when I got addicted. I figured it was from a combination of age(48) overuse, undeveloped muscle groups, and finally, poor technique. Injection did nothing. MRI revealed partial, but not full thickness, tears of the supraspinatus and long head of biceps. I think the latter has been my issue. I lost a lot of range of motion. PT got it back. Heck, even putting on antiperspirant was difficult.

What finally fixed me was 8 weeks of PT and aleve nightly. I am at least a full year removed from PT, and I have not had a recurrence of my pain. It did take me a while to get full driver distance back, but it's there even though I'm getting older by the second.

I'm going to my chiropractor today I'm hoping it's just a sprain, only Hurt's when i try to lift my arm up over my head, maybe just a sprain

Often, rotator cuff damage is revealed by pain lifting arm above shoulder level. And, depending on the severity, it can be healed by rest and therapy. Or worsened by overhand throws.

For what that's worth.

Broken Shoulder said:
If you don't know what your injury is you don't know how to treat it.
Please see a medical professional.

OP said:

Well, at least you're seeing some sort of medical professional.

I'm sure they'll be able to tell if you require a doctor visit or not, but that said, I too struggled with a bum shoulder for a bit. Saw the doc, got a 6 week PT program, did the exercises, and other than a few minor setbacks over the years have been good to go since.

Rule of thumb: if you have to ask internet strangers how to fix an injury, GO TO A DOCTOR!!!! ;)

Sounds like tendonitis to me from the little description that you have given. Probably need to be taking some NSAIDs if you can tolerate them. Could probably use a medrol dosepak. You need to see a doctor/PA/NP ... chiropractors can only do so much. They really aren't the type of doctor that you want to consult for these type of injuries. In a perfect world, you go to your primary care provider/UCC/ED first. If you need more care than that, you follow-up with orthopedic surgeon. If you need some type of long term care.... I guess that is where chiropractic care comes in.

*I'm a PA.

I fought shoulder pain for a long while when I got addicted. I figured it was from a combination of age(48) overuse, undeveloped muscle groups, and finally, poor technique. Injection did nothing. MRI revealed partial, but not full thickness, tears of the supraspinatus and long head of biceps. I think the latter has been my issue. I lost a lot of range of motion. PT got it back. Heck, even putting on antiperspirant was difficult.

What finally fixed me was 8 weeks of PT and aleve nightly. I am at least a full year removed from PT, and I have not had a recurrence of my pain. It did take me a while to get full driver distance back, but it's there even though I'm getting older by the second.

This.... PT is a great thing!

I have had some shoulder issues. Once I got about 50 or so, I started having some discomfort in the shoulder joint. For me, disc golf and weight lifting were the two primary "heavy uses" on my shoulder. My doctor's view was a conservative one. Mine was a cumulative "wear and tear" situation. Surgeons with "itchy trigger fingers" would operate but he'd seen a lot of mixed results and thus would only recommend surgery as a last result. I made some changes to my weight lifting routine -- eliminated shoulder presses, reduced using heavy weight for bench presses in lieu of more reps at lighter weight. In terms of disc golf, I use to have a pretty good overhand tomahawk throw which I have had to basically take out of my arsenal. I still use it on rare occasions, but now the distance isn't there that used to be and I can feel it not being a smart thing to do on the shoulder if a try a max effort tomahawk. No real problems with forehands, backhands, rollers or an adjusted weight lifting routine.

If you don't use right mechanics quit throwing thumbers or save them for special shots. I'm only good for one overhand shot a round anymore.

Only reason I'm going to my chiropractor today is because i had a appointment with him today anyway, i have a back issue to but it doesn't effect my disc golf game, just thought since I'm going to be there anyway i would let him look at it. Maybe I'm just getting old lol turn 40 in November

It's hard to predict the recovery time for shoulder injuries. It mostly depends on the type of type or depth of injury that you had on your shoulder. Most of the shoulder injuries can be self-diagnosed and then get treatments accordingly. Once you diagnose the injury, then I would advise you to consult a physio or an ortho to get some ideas regarding the treatment. I had a shoulder impingement once and I self-diagnosed it with the help of this blog( http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-self-diagnose-your-shoulder-pain ) and then consulted my physiotherapist in Mississauga and got treatments.

Latest posts