• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoulder pain throwing RHFH but not RHBH!

joshuajames

Double Eagle Member
So many years ago I injured my right should lifting weights, since then from time to time it gives me problems.

The most difficult movement for me with that shoulder is a military press (push ups and dips are fine).

Last week I played a lot of golf, and I believe that I overworked my shoulder using the RHFH throwing motion (45 holes one day, and 18 each day after for 2 days).

Last Friday I chose to play an all BH round (not my best part of my game, but this practice is helping)...I didn't have any pain at all.

So Monday a played a short course and mixed in a little FH and BH nothing. I could tell when throwing FH it was still a little off, but not too bad.

The pain is deep in the joint, kind of in the front center and center top of the shoulder.

This brings me to yesterday, I went out to Ashe Co. and was playing with some friends and feeling fine. I was taking it easy on FH shots up until #9. Honestly I forgot that it was a concern and out of instinct I tried to crush a FH drive.:doh: The pain was baaaaad!

Thought I was going to quite for the day, but I decided to throw BH easily with lower speed stuff.

Surprisingly I didn't have any problems throwing BH, in fact I could go to about 80% power and everything was still fine.

While all this was going on I could barely hold my arm up in a FH throwing motion.

Does anyone have any experience with this or insight into what might be going on?:confused:

Thanks

I am no Doctor, but I injured my shoulder throwing RHFH and playing darts early this spring. The only way to for it to get better was to avoid activities that caused it pain.

It sounds like some sort of rotator cuff injury, but I would see your Doctor.

Perhaps I will go to the VA....

It is just really surprising to only hurt when I throw FH or lift my arm like I'm about to throw FH.

is it a sharp pain, almost like a something is being pinched, but subsides once you lower your arm?

Probably injured the cartilage in your shoulder, and it never healed right. Or it's anything else. Who knows?
I partially dislocated my shoulder playing high school football nearly 15 years ago. Tore the labrum, if I recall. I still can't throw more than two or three overhand shots without severe pain. Forehand and backhand are all good. Well, pain free, anyway.

Same thing happened to me last year. I had tothrow back hand all summer. So far so good this year though. I just have to remember to warm my arm up before I start ripping forehand .

is it a sharp pain, almost like a something is being pinched, but subsides once you lower your arm?

Sharp is probably an accurate description...it subsides as soon as I drop my arm. There is no pain if my arm is at my side or during the RHBH throwing motion.

I'm thinking it's a cartilage issue. I tore my shoulder up diving for a ball in softball, and it's never been the same. I can't throw a disc overhand, or basically any strenuous activity that involves force straight down on my shoulder (like going across monkey bars).

Hopefully it's not ongoing for you. I throw a lot of forehand, and I sometimes try to snap too hard on my FH's and end up straining a lat muscle behind my shoulder. Painful stuff.

Step 1. Find out the problem- see your doc
Step 2. Find out how to fix the problem.

Ignoring the pain could result in further damage and a long layoff. Nobody wants that, man.

Sharp is probably an accurate description...it subsides as soon as I drop my arm. There is no pain if my arm is at my side or during the RHBH throwing motion.

def get to the doc to make sure but sounds like a bursitis. The bursa sack acts as a cushion between joints, and if you inflame it it will press between the deltoid head and get pinched on overhead movements. This is why overhead presses or incline benching probably kills it. VERY common weightlifting issue. For a bit of background, I went to school for kinesiology and was a personal trainer, and have battled this myself for years ( again, get a real dr's opinion over random internet guy ;) ).

Disc makes mine react the same way. IF it is bursitis you just have to get the inflammation down and it will slowly go away ( until agitated again). Terribly annoying but you learn what movements to avoid.

def get to the doc to make sure but sounds like a bursitis. The bursa sack acts as a cushion between joints, and if you inflame it it will press between the deltoid head and get pinched on overhead movements. This is why overhead presses or incline benching probably kills it. VERY common weightlifting issue. For a bit of background, I went to school for kinesiology and was a personal trainer, and have battled this myself for years ( again, get a real dr's opinion over random internet guy ;) ).

Disc makes mine react the same way. IF it is bursitis you just have to get the inflammation down and it will slowly go away ( until agitated again). Terribly annoying but you learn what movements to avoid.

This sounds exactly like what I have going on.

I'll look into the doctor's opinion.

It's been a long battle for about 18 years of off and on issues with it.

This is true. I've had trouble with both my shoulders and have dislocated them both multiple times tearing up a lot of stuff along the way. My right one (I'm a righty) was originally hurt while playing ultimate in college, diving for it and landing stiff arm on the ground. It popped out of the rear of the joint, which structurally is worse than coming out of the front, and I've never been the same, even after surgery.

You definitely want to take it easy and probably should consult an orthopedist, especially if it doesn't get better. Even though it seems like a natural motion, don't underestimate the amount of torque that throwing forehand puts on your elbow and shoulder. It's hella tough and don't even think about throwing anything overhand until you know you're good to go.

It's not unusual that throwing backhand wouldn't hurt, either. Pulling through and across your body is much easier on the shoulder than pushing hard away from your body, which is what a forehand is. Adduction v/s abduction and all. Just to illustrate it, you can stand in a doorway with your elbow close to your body and push against the frame with your arm bent away from you. You'll feel the stress on the inside of your elbow and front of the shoulder. That's what a forehand throw does and where it stresses your body. It can be tough, b/c that's where all the torque from a forehand is concentrated, even if your form is perfect and smooth. Add in anything off axis, or strongarming a throw, and it's easy to imagine how tough that is on those two joints.

I am a college baseball pitcher and disc golfer. I also had a similar experience while disc golfing. I could only throw the disc soft without any pain, anytime I would crank it up, it would hurt. It was a sharp pain and would only happen when throwing a disc or baseball hard. I got it checked out and it was a torn labrum. I am currently one week post op and have to wait over a year to play either sport again. One thing about the labrum is that it's not constant pain, sometimes it hurts other times it feels okay.

Latest posts