• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoulder "Pops"

Conect11

Par Member
Hello all,

I've been playing only for about two months, and have fallen in love with the sport. It's been awesome to see people in the group I throw with improve almost every time we play.
One thing that concerns me, however, is a tendency of my throwing shoulder to "pop" every 50 - 75 drives or so. I'll release the driver, hear and feel an audible (and quite painful) pop in my shoulder. After this is will go numb for about 2 minutes, then be completely fine; actually it usually throws better afterwards. The fear, of course, is that I'm going to do permanent damage to it due to how I'm throwing / etc. One good aspect is that when it's sore it has forced me to work on my sidearm, which is finally starting to come around. (I typically throw LHBH) Am wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and if so what the problem might be, and what you did to fix it. Thanks so much!

this has never happened to me, and i'm not a doctor or anything, but i do have a cousin who has had something similar happen to him. it may have something to do with your rotator cuff. He played basketball for years and this was happening to him and had it checked out and it required a surgery that he didn't take however anytime he does anything that involves quick rotation of his shoulder would tear at the tendons. So you may want to have it checked out if it is your rotator cuff so you don't completely tear it or hopefully find out its something else easier to deal with

at what point during the motion, exactly, does the popping occur? are you following through on your throws?

It seems to occur at the moment of release, or a millisecond after. Have considered my follow through to be the problem, but so far I have been pretty self - unaware during the release / follow through portion of my throw. Hoping to video my drives today or tomorrow and see if I can spot the problem.

Hello all,

I've been playing only for about two months, and have fallen in love with the sport. It's been awesome to see people in the group I throw with improve almost every time we play.
One thing that concerns me, however, is a tendency of my throwing shoulder to "pop" every 50 - 75 drives or so. I'll release the driver, hear and feel an audible (and quite painful) pop in my shoulder. After this is will go numb for about 2 minutes, then be completely fine; actually it usually throws better afterwards. The fear, of course, is that I'm going to do permanent damage to it due to how I'm throwing / etc. One good aspect is that when it's sore it has forced me to work on my sidearm, which is finally starting to come around. (I typically throw LHBH) Am wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and if so what the problem might be, and what you did to fix it. Thanks so much!

i'm not a doctor...
but it sounds like you have prior rotator cuff damage and every 50-70 throws either pop the ball back into the cuff or pull it out of the cuff.

it goes numb as your bones grind against the nerve.

my suggestion...
if you can find one of those fancy arm sleeves that wrap around your shoulder and go down your arm.

surgery

or....

really hone in your throw so that you dont "overthrow". <-i'd guess that if you really perfected your throw you could essentially eliminate this issue most of the time. It sounds like you are really using your shoulder in the throw and when you release you are "flinging" your arm (thus popping your shoulder out of socket).

Go to a field and really focus on proper throwing habits and not wildly releasing (and flinging the arm). Also, you might find that certain throws are better for you based on angle of release..(hyzer, roller, sidearm, etc.)
With each throw take a second to analyze your motion during and afterwards. (and "feel" if anything seems awkward, strange, unnatural, etc...)
proper warm up stretches and possibly "in between throws" wind mill circles cant hurt... and also analyze your other shots... the issue could be just as much your drive as your fairway approach shot as you try to overpower a disc without an x-step.

lighten up your discs. in your case, its better to flip with less power than try to overpower.

if you can afford it, go see a dr and get some advice. You could be making the situation worse. *usually rotator cuffs dont "degrade" (as from what i've seen) but you dont want to be a broken old man because of a game you played 30 years ago either.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I did have some motion issues in my shoulder about a year ago, perhaps there was some damage I never had checked out... A friend suggested that I might be displacing and replacing the shoulder joint in and out of the socket as well, hence why it feels better after "popping."
Am starting to be in total agreement about the overthrowing possibility. I read recently where a person found much more success throwing at 75 - 80% than at full strength. I DO often feel like I'm overthrowing my shoulder. I think this is due to my wanting to get distance on my drives. (I am the oldest of our group of players by a dozen years, but have easily the third weakest arm) Have been throwing in a nearby field lately every few days, mostly concentrating on how the disc holds in my hand (ie, nose down, tilted left or right, etc.) I think I will try to concentrate on form as opposed to power in my throws. Will also see the doctor; that's what insurance is for, right?
Another quick note: This only occurs during an x - step, which I finally got down about a week ago. I usually tone it down for my approach shots. Perhaps I AM flinging too hard during those throws.

My best advice to you is stop asking for advice on the internet and go see a doctor.

I'd start by pointing out everything wrong with the responses so far, but I don't want to type for 2 hours.

this is the first time I've seen someone experience something akin to what occassionally happens to my throwing shoulder. It usually occurs after a very lengthy field session, and definitely after the point of effective throwing. I tend to not focus on using good technique and any breakdown in form from footwork, hip / torso rotation, etc. can lead to one of these "pops" ...

I'm better at recognizing when I am approaching that point these days though. Additionally, trying an overly aggressive run-up has sometimes led to the "pop" ... where my arm pulls through the "hit" either too early or too late, so these days I am much more deliberate in my footwork, and try to focus on my acceleration and release.

I haven't had one in quite some time, so hard to say exactly what causes them.

Sorry, just a little sensitive since I saw one of my reviews put up as an example of "ratings abuse." My apologies to VictorB.

this is the first time I've seen someone experience something akin to what occassionally happens to my throwing shoulder. It usually occurs after a very lengthy field session, and definitely after the point of effective throwing. I tend to not focus on using good technique and any breakdown in form from footwork, hip / torso rotation, etc. can lead to one of these "pops" ...

I'm better at recognizing when I am approaching that point these days though. Additionally, trying an overly aggressive run-up has sometimes led to the "pop" ... where my arm pulls through the "hit" either too early or too late, so these days I am much more deliberate in my footwork, and try to focus on my acceleration and release.

I haven't had one in quite some time, so hard to say exactly what causes them.

thanks for the good advice. It does seem that this phenomena tends to happen later in a round, around hole 15 - 18 when I've been throwing for a couple of hours. I think the over aggression has something to do with it, for sure.

Sorry, just a little sensitive since I saw one of my reviews put up as an example of "ratings abuse." My apologies to VictorB.

Ahh, you are the guy that gave Roscoe Ewing a 5. I was defending your rating a bit in that thread as Roscoe Ewing is still my favorite course and I call it my home course even though its an hour away because I play it the most and its the one I started on.

Ahh, you are the guy that gave Roscoe Ewing a 5. I was defending your rating a bit in that thread as Roscoe Ewing is still my favorite course and I call it my home course even though its an hour away because I play it the most and its the one I started on.

Yep, that's me! Have been on a few forums where you have three types of people: A.) Reasonable, open minded posters. B.) People who grumble that new posters are changing things. ie, it "was so much better when..." and C.) Trolls. I cannot abide B or C, especially when it's over something as subjective as a review. I like Roscoe Ewing, fell for it immediately. I also gave Deis Hill a 5, though for very different reasons. My thing is, you have the option to tell the reviewer what was right / wrong with their review. So why not be constructive? I acknowledge that as a new player / member I have a long way to go in all areas of my game, (including reviews) but indirectly flaming me in a post does nothing for the community except drive new members away. If that's what people want, no problem. They can see how long this very nice site would last if that's the prevailing attitude.

I'm a baseball player so i know all about rotator cuff injuries and if your arm is going numb that is BAAAADDDD!!! Another thing is to put ice on your shoulder when u get home for 10 to 15 minutes on 10 to 15 off and then 10 to 15 back on. If anyone tries to say I do not know what I am talking about they are dumb, one thing that will help is stretching your arm before and after your round and find the release point where it doesnt hurt your arm because injury occurs when you perform a motion that is unnatural to what your arm is used to doing, also the change in these mechanics can cause someone to over throw which in turn causes your arm to hurt more, to me what it sounds like you are trying to do is throw the disc 1000 feet instead of 320, 320 is good distance and then you work your way up as your arm gets stronger and mechanics get more natural and then you will be throwing 500 to 550 unless your arm is already maxed out then which since you are just starting out i doubt it is, so my advice is to go to a pretty open course or just a huge flat field and just throw with a controlled and smooth motion instead of trying the barbarian or hulk smash throw, until you start to place the disc then try to increase distance slowly

I'm a baseball player so i know all about rotator cuff injuries and if your arm is going numb that is BAAAADDDD!!! Another thing is to put ice on your shoulder when u get home for 10 to 15 minutes on 10 to 15 off and then 10 to 15 back on. If anyone tries to say I do not know what I am talking about they are dumb, one thing that will help is stretching your arm before and after your round and find the release point where it doesnt hurt your arm because injury occurs when you perform a motion that is unnatural to what your arm is used to doing, also the change in these mechanics can cause someone to over throw which in turn causes your arm to hurt more, to me what it sounds like you are trying to do is throw the disc 1000 feet instead of 320, 320 is good distance and then you work your way up as your arm gets stronger and mechanics get more natural and then you will be throwing 500 to 550 unless your arm is already maxed out then which since you are just starting out i doubt it is, so my advice is to go to a pretty open course or just a huge flat field and just throw with a controlled and smooth motion instead of trying the barbarian or hulk smash throw, until you start to place the disc then try to increase distance slowly

Thanks for the advice. I keep intending to ice the shoulder, but never get around to it. I have been medicating with Tylenol or Motrin before / after games, but don't want to do that all the time. I called my doctor to check on the shoulder, have to call next week as he's on vacation. I agree with you and the other posters who have recommended easing up on the drives a bit. I suspect that I am trying to muscle my throws too much to compensate for my lack of arm strength.

afterthought....

the more i thought about it, i also realized that i'd recommend, in your case, lightening up your discs.

a lot of your throwing motion may be that you are trying too hard to throw plastic that is too heavy for you.

just a suggestion.....

i'd take an err of caution and experiment with discs 5g's lighter and really focus on form over power.

Latest posts