• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sidearm toss.

LeftyToss

Bogey Member
So today I went out and practiced my side arm. Whoever posted the tip about pretend you're drawing a gun then reverse it...you're a genius. The thing was, was that I was throwing it like 40 ft. further than I do LHBH, and my disc's flight was more controlled. I figured, well why not throw this way all the time. Has anyone experienced this? And do you throw sidearm more often than BH? All the videos of pro events i've watched everyone is throwing BH.

I have only been playing for less than a year and I have found that my FH and BH continue to improve so that at any given time one is a little better than the other. Then I read something or get a tip from a pro and the other becomes dominate again. As of right now I am getting a little more D with my FH but much more control and precision with my BH. Interesting to see that others go through this too.

Learning to throw both FH and BH will help you improve your overall game. Usually, throwing BH will generate more torque (because of the cross over step and longer 'pulling' motion of the stroke) and thus disatance. However, because a disc needs spin in order to fly, some people (especially beginers) are able to generate more distance with less movement by using a FH. They (beginners) also tend to be more accurate using the FH. Thus, the FH becomes the preffered method for drives - not just for you, but for many beginners. This is because:
A) Using the FH can generate a lot of 'snap' within a short motion... and
B) While throwing a FH you are looking at the target (or) your line of flight, and are less likely to throw wild and hit the first tree.
However, Don't give up on the BH. It is a skill that is required to master this game we all love.
DSCJNKY

Some players are FH dominant, but most of your higher rated players use predominatly a backhand. Backhand in theory will allow for greater distance, but FH seems to be more accurate, at least for me. You will benefit from having both, so I wouldnt give up or either.

Good to know guys! Yea I only use the FH off the tee. My shorter fairway and approach/putts I use backhand. I think what DSCJNKY said about more snap with shorter motion is definately true. I have the X step down but my problem is I haven't been able to put the rest together to generate that power. I guess I'll stick with whatever is working better for me at the time.

It may be beneficial to take your entire bag to a grass field that has no trees and just unload it several times to practice your cross-over approach for backhand drives. Not only will the repetition of practicing help your muscle memory for the cross-over technique, it will also give you more distance and consistency. The same can be said for your sidearm distance and approach. Whatever you do... make sure to practice both sides. Knowing how to throw BH and FH drives is crucial to lowering your scores and smoking the competition (especially when they cant throw both ways).
DSCJNKY

good call JNKY..my game improved many strokes when i learned a decent FH..imo, a turnover is more difficult to be accurate with than a nice smooth FH.

I throw LHBH and RHFH...same damn shot no matter which hand I throw with, everything fades to the right...bummer, but I've gotten really good at Anny's since I throw LHBH and most courses are designed for the righty's

I throw LHBH and RHFH...same damn shot no matter which hand I throw with, everything fades to the right...bummer, but I've gotten really good at Anny's since I throw LHBH and most courses are designed for the righty's

I have the same issue, LHBH and RHFH. Sigh.
So I started to teach myself the RHBH AND the LHFH. I'm a natural righty, so the RHBH is coming along nicely. Also learning to Tommy and Thumb.
I have a hole on my home course that is forcing me to adapt, so I'll adapt and conquer.
I love this game!

Latest posts