• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Signage and Marking a Mando

What is the best way to mark a mando shot? I have two mandos that must be marked off on a new course. One is to go left of a tree, the other is to go left of a light post. Please keep in mind, this is a city park and I'm sure many would not look kindly on orange spray paint on the tree.

I am also curious to see how mandos are marked on signs.

Finally, what is the best way to mark a drop zone at the mando?

Thanks.

colored arrows attached to trees/signs.. painted or marked artificial things on trees or poles/features etc.. bottom line is it doesn't matter what your city park mandos say people wont follow them.

A cinder block or paver sunk in the ground is fairly vandal proof as the drop zone marker.

Aim has it right for marking the tree...an arrow or something brightly colored that stands out well against the tree. Place it as high as is reasonable so it is easily seen but not so easily touched/messed with.

As for marking the sign, an arrow in the approximate place on the map with the word "mando" should be enough. Can't stress enough though, if you want it followed by more than 5% of players, put an explanation of what a mando is and how to play it on the tee sign. Highlight that throws must pass to the correct side, misses go to the drop zone, and that there is a penalty for missing. A good percentage of players that ignore mandos (and OB) do so for the simple fact that they don't know what it is or how to proceed. Sure some will still ignore it, but there are just as many who won't once they understand what it is.

The very best way to mark a mando is with a large net or section of tall chain link fence. ;)

More seriously, in addition to an arrow on the tree or post, it is really nice if you can mark the "perpendicular mando line" somehow (as per http://www.pdga.com/mandatories ) so that it is easy to decide close calls.

Last edited:
Only the "Missed Mando" line needs to be marked (besides an arrow). A "Made Mando" line is meaningless under the new rules.