• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Signage

wolito

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
Why is it that so many courses lack proper signs? Many courses no longer have maps to them and often I find myself wandering around searching for the next hole. This is very frustrating to me and therefore have to bring binoculars with me to the new courses that I go to. Many of the signs are old and vandalized or just missing. Why is there such lack of attention to this? Cost? Upkeep? I would like to know what you thought of this and ways to improve this problem.

It could be a number of things. As you mentioned, cost, would be my number one guess.

We are in the position at our course to have very poor signeage. There is many reasons for this...the first being we are a fairly new course, less than two years, the course has changed so much in two years that even if we tried, we couldn't keep up with the changes. The second reason is when we did have signs, they got vandalized. We are now on our way to a permanent course that will be signed out with heavy duty professional made signs. By heavy duty, I mean 6x8 post 2' in the ground, 2 bags of concrete per, with 6x8 metal signs with tamper proof screws!

Signs are easily overlooked by local players. Once you've played the course a couple of times, you know your way around and where the baskets are and rarely if ever look at the sign. With the probable exception of courses with multiple basket locations and an indicator on the sign as to which is in play.

Signs are importantly mainly to the first-timer. As someone who used to travel and visit lots of courses once, I found poor signage a major burden. But on my local course, a sign could be stolen and I might not notice for a couple of years.

And it is the local players, who aren't noticing, who would be the only people to remedy the problem.

Many places have a small number of volunteers who actually care for the course, with limited funds and even more limited time, and other needs always seem more pressing.

i see this as a huge problem on lotsa courses and its sad considering you can make a sign for 10 bucks or less...LANDSCAPE TIMBERS ARE LIKE 4 BUCKS?..they make excellent bag holders with dowel rods placed thru them also..lack of signage discourages newbs and old timers alike...at my local course the problem is the college...getting anything done is a lonnnng chain of beauracratic bs

With all the above reasons mentioned, I think a lot of local DG clubs may simply prefer doing their course info (signs, maps, etc.) online instead of having a physical sign at each hole.

You can also tell which DG clubs and Parks & Rec put in the time and effort, plus have the resources, to step up when a tee sign is stolen or defaced. You also notice what courses in a city/area get the most/least love by how often problems like that surface and how it's responded to.

I appreciate good tee signage. I like to know where I'm throwing (crazy, I know). There are many different levels of cost involved. I agree with DavidSauls in that once you know the course, you dont need signs (other than to show pin location). As a local, you're not thinking about signs as much as maybe new tee pads or some other improvements to the course. But they do help visitors so I think they are important. Good tee signs will get a better vote in my course review.
Nowadays, I rarely go to a course without a map and/or a local to throw with. No frustration or wasted time!

Agree with the points about signs are primarily for non-locals and first-timers.

Nowadays, I rarely go to a course without a map and/or a local to throw with. No frustration or wasted time!

Totally agree. Especially if I'm on a travel schedule trying to hit multiple courses in a day. I usually won't try a course without a map unless there's a review or two on DGCR that says "really easy to navigate".

This past Saturday I was on my fourth new course of the day and ended up at Bear Creek. Now there's a course that really needs an online map, or at least on posted on the info board so I can take a picture of it before I play. The #12 to #13 transition... come on! Do you really have to go all the way back through the parking lot?? I started at 6:15pm and barely made it done by dark. I'd been spoiled earlier in the day by all the awesome "Next Tee" sings at the two Lewisville courses.

cost issue

So it does seem as though cost is one of the issues that contribute to signs not being fix or replaced. What happened to the donation boxes that used to be located near hole one on courses? Vandals I presume have removed them but I would always give a few dollars to help maintain the course which would help with fixing/replacing signs. What are other ways to donate small amounts of money to courses to help with cost/upkeep issues? Too many courses are often neglected after they are put in the ground. I feel that a small donation ( 1-2 dollars each visit) is reasonable that would allow at least some funds help with signs and other costs.

So it does seem as though cost is one of the issues that contribute to signs not being fix or replaced. What happened to the donation boxes that used to be located near hole one on courses? Vandals I presume have removed them but I would always give a few dollars to help maintain the course which would help with fixing/replacing signs. What are other ways to donate small amounts of money to courses to help with cost/upkeep issues? Too many courses are often neglected after they are put in the ground. I feel that a small donation ( 1-2 dollars each visit) is reasonable that would allow at least some funds help with signs and other costs.

I agree, but there are also the issues of who is accountable for a donation box and the course for that matter. It's not a problem on a private course since one or two people have a great stake and passion into it, but how much can you depend on the parks and rec people?

in some parts of the country the parks and rec dept. do great things for golf...it is just in the not so golfer friendly areas where they couldn't care less about some "hippies throwing frisbees in the woods.."...in va beach, for instance, they sweep the pads and empty garbage cans...clear debris and cut dangerous limbs/trees...here in ny, golf hasn't really "caught on" and parks and rec. feel they have way more important things to do

Signage is great when playing a new course. It seems like most of the signs at our local courses get destroyed by vandals. Which really sucks! They tag the signs, rip them down,etc... I was thinking about this the other day and had an idea. Why not make the tee signs out of cement. When finishing the tee pad you could use concrete dye, or carve the actual concrete to make an indestructible tee sign. For courses with existing tee pads you could make a square form out of plywood and do basically the same thing. It wouldnt cost that much would be alot harder to damage than regular signage. Just an idea.

I would agree that cost is the number one and upkeep the second, but then third is what is the park willing to allow. My course is fairly new and the parks department has only allowed me to put things down that can be mowed over, so natural tees that are dug in, A sign next to that would be a bother for them to mow around. I have done most things I can to help with navigation, a great map available online and at the course if people don't take them all at once, But also a posted map on course board to look at before starting a round, and painting the bottom of the baskets to indicate next hole directions. My next step maybe more nex-t > signs and dug in 4x4's tee lines, but again money and time is an issue, i've personally funded the course minus the baskets, and done 99% of the labor to get it to it's current condition. I've have tried very hard to make the course easy to navigate and have defined fairways and paths to help get from hole to hole. Sadly I feel the map should get you through it the first time and you shouldn't need it the second, and i'll spend my time and money on the tees, and saving up for some more baskets.

As far as raising money the weekly or monthly if you have a good community/club is the time to collect, dollar or two a player out of whatever your probably charging, and use it for the course.

If your lucky enough to have cement tees then engraving or casting so to say a map or the info in the cement is a great idea, saw something like this at Goucher College DGC in baltimore.

I think signage is really important because I am often trying to get my friends or relatives to play for the first time. So even if I have played the course a bunch of times it is much easier to explain where the basket is if there is a decent sign at the tee or a map. Also since this is a growing sport I think it is a good idea to make it as accessible as possible to new players, signage certainly helps.

Signage is great when playing a new course. It seems like most of the signs at our local courses get destroyed by vandals. Which really sucks! They tag the signs, rip them down,etc... I was thinking about this the other day and had an idea. Why not make the tee signs out of cement. When finishing the tee pad you could use concrete dye, or carve the actual concrete to make an indestructible tee sign. For courses with existing tee pads you could make a square form out of plywood and do basically the same thing. It wouldnt cost that much would be alot harder to damage than regular signage. Just an idea.

These two in Colorado have done this. Very nice!

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=258&mode=gal
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=160&mode=gal

Hopefully you can see that.

Sorry hit post too soon....

I think it is important to remember that DG is one of the quickest growing sports. Having good signage when available can really help improve the experience of the newbie and increase the liklihood they will play again.

Those are some beautiful tee pads! Close to what I was thinking. I was thinking more along the lines of making the teepad like a sign, showing the hole layout, possible lines, distance, etc... Those are sweet though, nice looking course to.

i think the 4x4 posts with the info carved or burned in seem to work best because you can easily paint over graffiti and they are very cheap to replace and very hard for douchebags to break.

That is a good idea, and like was posted has been implemented in Denver. Relatively vandal-proof. Big downside is that if a basket moves for whatever reason it's very tough to change the posted distance.