• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Simon's Vlog

Bruschi is a lot more likeable when he isn't ruining football coverage with his Patriots homerism.

Hasn't surfaced on his video blog, but the wife showed me the Jomez Instagram of Simon and his lady opening their mystery box… announcing they're pregnant!!! Whoop! (Baby on the mind, as ours turns three months soon, so I'm pumped!).

He called it "crush baby" :D

Congrats, Daddy Crush!

I'd agree with that. Seeing them crush some shorter, more fun, technical holes is more relatable and true.

With the DGPT and DGN, I think the prospect of having open air to film, allow spectators, and maintain cell service for live streaming is appealing. So, I feel like this Disc golf on bolf courses is just going to continue. Maybe they'll find a happy medium eventually.

^^^ That, too :D

So, I feel like this Disc golf on bolf courses is just going to continue. Maybe they'll find a happy medium eventually.

I hope they find a happy medium.

Could a woods course could be designed or modified to enable the equivalent of "camera pits" at MLB parks? I am thinking of designed places the camera crews could set up and get good views of the player on the tee, the drive down the fairway, catch cams, etc. without interfering with the players.

I would not expect most public or private woods courses to have the funding or resources to pull this off. But perhaps wooded courses that regularly host major tour events (IDGC, Maple Hill, Smuggler's Notch, Idlewild, etc.) might have the resources, if the idea is viable.

Has anyone ever tried this successfully?

Could a woods course could be designed or modified to enable the equivalent of "camera pits" at MLB parks? I am thinking of designed places the camera crews could set up and get good views of the player on the tee, the drive down the fairway, catch cams, etc. without interfering with the players.

I would not expect most public or private woods courses to have the funding or resources to pull this off. But perhaps wooded courses that regularly host major tour events (IDGC, Maple Hill, Smuggler's Notch, Idlewild, etc.) might have the resources, if the idea is viable.

I don't think this is the problem. IMO, it's usually easier to track disc flight on camera on wooded courses. They don't disappear when the sky becomes the backdrop.

The problem comes in when you want a whole bunch of live spectators to be able to see disc flight. And follow a particular card. And park at the event. Add in DGN broadcasting using cell signals, and those are all advantages that more open courses tend to have over wooded courses, especially remote wooded courses designed for a small number of people using it at the same time.

But, the major championship that was added this year was on a wooded course (is it going to be there there permanently?). The DGPT championship remains at Hornet's Nest. So it's not as if all hope is lost.

... The problem comes in when you want a whole bunch of live spectators to be able to see disc flight. And follow a particular card. And park at the event. Add in DGN broadcasting using cell signals, and those are all advantages that more open courses tend to have over wooded courses, especially remote wooded courses designed for a small number of people using it at the same time.

Perhaps spectator areas and pathways could be built into wooded courses intended for major events. Sounds like a fun design challenge. :)

Temporary or permanent parking lots can be built, of course, if suitable land and resources are available. Dunno if there is a practicable way to improve cell signal in remote wooded areas.

But, the major championship that was added this year was on a wooded course (is it going to be there there permanently?). The DGPT championship remains at Hornet's Nest. So it's not as if all hope is lost.

Yes, the examples you cite are hopeful ones.

Last edited:
There are mobile cell sites, but I imagine they are way out of the price range of the DGPT at this point.

OTOH, it is absolutely possible to build a mesh network using WiFi. Outdoors--even with trees, I don't think it would pose a tremendous issue with range and bandwidth. The network could be private so it's only used by those providing the filming or other course related activities. It would require some equipment, DC power supplies and someone who knows a bit about network setup.

Somebody like this guy that understands how to make a network like this function (there is a video presentation).

https://www.usenix.org/conference/lisa12/technical-sessions/presentation/lang_david_wireless

Was it iron hill or Tx states where Jomez built some tree stands and filmed certain shots from up in the trees - maybe more of that for the wooded courses

I was at St Jude's, I remember hearing Jussi say he made the course "Simon Proof" (ultra long).....

So the whole Open division had to play an extremely long ball golf layout, I did not stay for the whole round.

I was at St Jude's, I remember hearing Jussi say he made the course "Simon Proof" (ultra long).....

So the whole Open division had to play an extremely long ball golf layout, I did not stay for the whole round.

not sure how a longer course becomes "simon proof".

Simon did make some interesting points on the latest Ultiworld podcast. .

The one about having to throw a standstill if you go OB . .but NOT get att stroke was an interesting one.

Simon did make some interesting points on the latest Ultiworld podcast. .

The one about having to throw a standstill if you go OB . .but NOT get att stroke was an interesting one.

Not sure what Simon's take was, but Jen Allen seems to have gone to throwing every fairway shot standstill, at least at OTB. It certainly would be a disadvantage, but I don't know how much it would actually separate the scores of people who went OB and those who didn't.

It would be great if we somehow could replicate the kind of challenge offered by a fairway bunker in ball golf via a rules based penalty area, but I'm not sure how possible that is.

Random bad idea, make everyone throw a Stego from this new "bunker area".

It would be great if we somehow could replicate the kind of challenge offered by a fairway bunker in ball golf via a rules based penalty area, but I'm not sure how possible that is.

I think this was the exakt thing he was after. . . . they talked about having LOTS of sand of fairway so runups would be hard. . but that would cost to much for Discgolf

Latest posts