• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Single throw" elbow/forearm

rkravitz

Yesterday I was throwing on the side of a hill facing up at an angle. I threw a Leopard3 hard and my back foot slipped, which caused my throwing arm to hyper-extend when I threw. The pain was immediate, but not excruciating and I was on hole 8 and just finished the round.

Last night it started hurting in bed and now it hurts quite a bit and is interfering with my daily activities. Going to try ice and have a surgery tomorrow on my throwing hand, so I'll be out for about 3 weeks. I'm going to ask the surgeon about my elbow and show her the motion that hurts it (arm out, palm up, twisting arm to the side brings pain), but she may be too busy with the procedure (trigger-finger release) to help me.

Most of the articles I see are on "over-use" injuries. Anybody ever had this happen, a "single throw" injury? I play everyday and never feel pain, just get tired if I play over 18 holes.

I'm 62, an amateur and 2 years into the sport. Any suggestions?

I threw about a 100' approach shot with a putter and hyper extended my arm and felt it instantly and fell to the ground. I tore my rotator cuff tore my bicep muscle and flipped my bicep muscle up side down. All in one throw. Its been 3 years and I am back to 100%. Been a long road!:thmbup:

I've never had this from disc golf, but when I was pitching in college I did. Throwing in a game I geared up for a little extra and felt a stab. Finished the inning but it still was painful.

It was a hyperextended UCL that I never let fully recover. I ended up with a partial rotator cuff tear because I didn't rest long enough. (None to be exact)

Your hand surgery lay-off may be exactly what you need to let the rest of the arm heal.

I blew my shoulder out trying to throw a giant hyzer FH out of a ravine in 2016. Kept playing that year and most of the next year but i started rolling my right ankle every couple months. The latest of those put me on the couch for 2 months and I lost all the muscle in my arm. The next time I tried to play, my shoulder popped real bad and I've only played a couple dozen rounds since.

Last edited:
I highly recommend finding a good physical therapist. I have a friend who used to be a PT for one of the local college football teams and now is in private practice. Many years ago he converted to being a true believer in PT by fixing a neck that i hadn't been able to turn in about 2 days. I slept on it wrong and things escalated. Took him about 20 minutes while were at the neighborhood pool.

Seriously, unless you need surgery, PTs are the ones to help you recover from mucle/ligament injuries and help prevent them in the first place.

Latest posts