• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slingshot! Illegal to carry?

Woodpecker

Birdie Member
I found an old style Y shaped slingshot at a convenience store and thought "Cool! Now I can knock down discs that get hung up way up in the top of trees." I stopped by Academy and bought some slingshot ammo (light weight marbles) and put them in my bag.

I've already used it three times to retrieve friends of mine's discs that were way up in the tops of disc eating trees.

A couple of days ago, a guy that I don't know, joins our group. He sees the slingshot in my bag and practically had a fit. He said it's illegal to carry a slingshot in the state of Texas as it is considered a primitive weapon. He went on to say that the only time a person can carry one is during a special hunting season for primitive weapons which include a slingshot, spear, knife, etc. and you must a hunting license.

Since this was the first I ever heard of this, on the way home, I stopped by Academy. I went to the gun section and talked to the guys that worked there. They said they'd never heard of anything like this before.

I went to the Texas Parks and Wildlife and couldn't find anything either.

I wouldn't worry about it but this guy seemed so adamant and knowledgable about it.

From any state, anyone else know anything about this?

Woodpecker

lol I've never heard anyone have a fit about a slingshot, especially in Texas. I actually keep a pretty good sized knife in my bag I bet he would wet himself if he saw it.

i think the guy was pulling your leg...primative hunting season? LOL
I've always thought of primative hunting season as a year long event. If I have a knife and something runs at me, it's time to go hunting.

That's hilarious. Slingshots are perfect disc recovery tools. I had one with me at all times as a kid and nobody ever said anything about a primitive hunting season, genius....

Go to wal-mart, do they sell them out in the open for anyone to buy? I think that will answer the question.

Well, with all the new anti-terrorist laws that have been put into effect lately, who knows?

I play a lot of pool tournaments around the country and it's illegal to carry a pool cue on an airplane as it could be used as a weapon.

A few months ago, I had to check my pool case into baggage, yet the UT tennis team was able to carry their tennis rackets onboard with no problems.

I know in the confines of an airline cabin, I could do a lot more damage with a carbon graphite tennis racket than I could ever do with an old wooden pool cue. Go figure!

Woodpecker

In some cities/townships in Michigan they are prohibited by local ordinance. But, hey, it's a felony here to POSSESS brass knuckles. Don't even need intent to use.

In many states, there are weapons that it is illegal to possess that might surprise you.

He said it's illegal to carry a slingshot in the state of Texas as it is considered a primitive weapon.
Does that mean I have to leave my giant club at home when I play in touraments there? How am I supposed to club the DG hotties and drag them home by their hair?

First off, its genius to use it to knock down stuck discs. I may have to go pick one up for this reason.

I really have no knowledge on the subject, but what the authorities don't know won't hurt them. If you keep it in your bag maybe wrapped up in a rag or towel I don't think anyone would to have a problem with it. I don't know about Texas police, but it seems the cops here in Illinois have better things to do then chase down a primitive disc golf hunter.

Does that mean I have to leave my giant club at home when I play in touraments there? How am I supposed to club the DG hotties and drag them home by their hair?

Ha, Ha! I can never get close enough to them. I think it has something to do with me dragging my knuckles on the ground when I stare at them. LOL

Woodpecker

I found this on a website for TX State Parks - not sure whether or not it applies to other public parks or not, but as regards State Parks - looks like dude may be correct. Has nothing to do with primitive hunting, but a general ban on carrying projectile weapons of any sort.

State Park Operational Rules
The succeeding regulations are adopted pursuant to authority granted by Sec. 13.101-13.112, Parks and Wildlife Code). Any person who violates these regulations will be subject to penalties prescribed by law.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

59.131 Definitions.
The following words and terms when used in this chapter, shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.

Arms and Firearms: Any device from which shot, a projectile, arrow, or bolt is fired by the force of an explosion, compressed air, gas or mechanical device. To include, but not limited to, rifle, shotgun, handgun, air rifle, pellet gun, longbow, cross bow, sling shot, blow gun, or dart gun.

A few years back, I got a visit from police at my home because I had been doing some pest control in the backyard with a BB gun. The cop warned me that firing a BB gun could get me charged with 'discharging a firearm within city limits', and he actually suggested that I use a slingshot, or blow gun instead. I went and got a slingshot, and that thing did considerably more damage to the aforementioned pests than the BB gun ever did.

I found this on a website for TX State Parks - not sure whether or not it applies to other public parks or not, but as regards State Parks - looks like dude may be correct. Has nothing to do with primitive hunting, but a general ban on carrying projectile weapons of any sort.

State Park Operational Rules
The succeeding regulations are adopted pursuant to authority granted by Sec. 13.101-13.112, Parks and Wildlife Code). Any person who violates these regulations will be subject to penalties prescribed by law.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

59.131 Definitions.
The following words and terms when used in this chapter, shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.

Arms and Firearms: Any device from which shot, a projectile, arrow, or bolt is fired by the force of an explosion, compressed air, gas or mechanical device. To include, but not limited to, rifle, shotgun, handgun, air rifle, pellet gun, longbow, cross bow, sling shot, blow gun, or dart gun.

Thanks for the info. As all the DG courses in this area are in city parks, I think I'll check with the city. Come to think of it, I've got some friends on the police force. I'll see what they say. Thanks, again.

Woodpecker

I carry my .45 ACP to get discs out of trees so that I don't have to deal with this. Since, I am have a concealed weapons license, it's perfectly legal. All my discs have quarter size holes in them now.

So do I and as the saying goes, "I don't leave home without it."

I'd hate to be out on the course carrying my Colt in my bag and have to go to jail because of the slingshot next to it in the bag. LOL

Woodpecker

Last edited:
here is what i found from a legal website. this does not cover slingshots with a wrist brace. those are in a seperate category and most states you must have a permit for them.

Slingshots, slingshot ammo and slingshot supplies cannot be shipped to the following states, or cities:

Delaware: Dover & Wilmington
Florida: St. Augustine
New Jersey
New York: Only wrist-braced slingshots are illegal.
Massachusetts
Minnesota: Duluth
Rhode Island
South Carolina: Charleston
Tennessee: Knoxville
Utah: Salt Lake County
Virginia: Falls Church

on a side note: here in michigan there is a law against any sort of silencer or suppressor on a firearm. some pellet guns and bb guns have built in suppressors or silencers and are therefore illegal to own in the state.

Most county/city parks in the state of GA ban any type of weapon. It's a great idea for getting your disc outta the tree, however, some people have a skewed sense of common sense.
I agree w/ colodiscgolfer, I have hunted squirrels and rabbits very effectively w/ a slingshot. Also very useful to scare away feral cats! You don't have to hit 'em, just put the shot close, and they jump @ 10' in the air!

I carry my .45 ACP to get discs out of trees so that I don't have to deal with this. Since, I am have a concealed weapons license, it's perfectly legal. All my discs have quarter size holes in them now.

Does that affect their glide at all?

the PDGA clearly states that discs with a perforated flight plate are illegal. You sir, are a freaking cheater. May God have mercy on your soul. :|

Latest posts