• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slippery Teepads: The Solution?

Safe tee pads as defined by Whom???

Uli? On bookface???

It awful easy for professionals and a tour making million to make demands off the backs of a bunch of volunteers. While rarely if ever making the same types of contributions.

So the pros should responsible for maintaining and safekeeping the course and its equipment? Or are you just here to piss in the Cheerios of a group of people chasing their dream?

It is absolutely on TDs and the DGPT to provide safe teeing surfaces, whatever they may be, and however safe is viewed.

Hot Take - People who dont slip on teepads probably dont throw over 300' and probably dont generate enough force to force the act of slipping.

Yes this is sarcasm

Teepad size should be something we could agree on, maybe not an precise number but a reasonable range so we can adjust a couple inches to terrain. Teepad angle maybe as well. Also the surrounding of the teepad should be considered from a safety standpoint, I wonder sometimes how one builds those concrete teepads with sharp sticking up corners.

Maybe we could also agree on a selection of say three good surfaces for teepads and the tools to clean them that should be available at the tournaments.

Other than that, mud is mud and ice is ice, as a player we have to adjust to the conditions.

Teepad size should be something we could agree on, maybe not an precise number but a reasonable range so we can adjust a couple inches to terrain. Teepad angle maybe as well. Also the surrounding of the teepad should be considered from a safety standpoint, I wonder sometimes how one builds those concrete teepads with sharp sticking up corners.

Maybe we could also agree on a selection of say three good surfaces for teepads and the tools to clean them that should be available at the tournaments.

Other than that, mud is mud and ice is ice, as a player we have to adjust to the conditions.

I would rather just eliminate teepads, if people are truly this concerned about it.
You throw 18 shots from a teepad per round. If you can't deal with awkward terrain, your whole round is going to be difficult.

Pros (ULI): Get better shoes, use a towel, control your own body. You still have to throw 30+ more shots that aren't on a teepad.

Pull yourself up by the bootstraps!

Unless you nail your boots to the ceiling, there's no way you can pull yourself up by your bootstraps. :|

...and if you actually did bolt your boots to the ceiling so could pull yourself up, that's really an awfully silly way to do pull-ups. :\

Hot Take - People who dont slip on teepads probably dont throw over 300' and probably dont generate enough force to force the act of slipping.

Yes this is sarcasm

I object. I generally do not throw over 300' and I am fully capable of slipping on a teepad!

I thought slippery teepads were the key to acing 530' shots. :confused:

What the dgpt can control, they should control ,when the game gets big enough.

I can def see teepad uniformity and basket uniformity down the road.

It's obvious that your footing can be suspect after you throw from the pad, but why should you start with bad footing? Especially when the holes are just getting longer with more o.b.

What the dgpt can control, they should control ,when the game gets big enough.

I can def see teepad uniformity and basket uniformity down the road.

It's obvious that your footing can be suspect after you throw from the pad, but why should you start with bad footing? Especially when the holes are just getting longer with more o.b.

Agreed. The starting line shouldn't be sketchy to the extent possible.

It looks like turf teepads were installed on some holes for the Match Play Championships (they are playing from the regular ball golf tee box on some holes). I'm not sure if the turf pads were installed specifically for this event or if they are always on this course.

I'm not saying these are the gold standard of tees that the PDGA wants at every event, but I would think something like these could be built, transported and installed at events.

What I've noticed so far with these tees is that they all dont seem to be level and they seem to have some bounce and flex to them.

In all seriousness, I do wonder what is the best surface for teepads in terms of rain/wetness.

Asphalt maybe?

Concrete probably?

Bricks/stones?

Artificial turf?

It looks like turf teepads were installed on some holes for the Match Play Championships (they are playing from the regular ball golf tee box on some holes). I'm not sure if the turf pads were installed specifically for this event or if they are always on this course.

I'm not saying these are the gold standard of tees that the PDGA wants at every event, but I would think something like these could be built, transported and installed at events.

They could have at least made them full size. There is a hole in the thinking at DGPT.