• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slippery Teepads: The Solution?

Uli and perkins were complaining about the teepads in the skins match video. I wonder if they let Jeff Spring or any other organizers know about their concerns before the first tournament round

The "best" tee pad would be one that is made of non-slip, lasting materials and, either have the top level with the top of the ground, or have the ground slightly sloped up to the pad. The issue with run-ups doesn't just happen from the end of the pad, some run up from the sides and the majority of tee pads are raised above the ground, which then creates a tripping hazard. I forget which tournament it was in....but there was one tee pad where James Conrad had to run and jump up to the tee pad. Yeah, it wasn't a high jump, but still....it wasn't level. A tee pad with the run-up end and the sides level with the ground or sloped to the ground would be the best as there would be less of a tripping hazard. At the far end, there shouldn't be a big drop off, if any.

Anyone tried diatomaceous earth or silicon carbide grit sprinkled on a slick hard surface pad? Both are reasonably priced and a little goes a long way.

Being 50's and out of shape, I'm more susceptible to injury though I don't always know it.

It was this spring, dew on the ground, I stepped on to #4 teepad and let'r rip. It's a max distance hole. My right foot slipped a few inches. My subconscious response resulted in a strained groin. It sucked.

It would be wonderful if there was a teepad that would prevent slipping like that ever again.

There is no realistic solution to that IMO.

Hopefully we can find better solutions but ultimately players are going to have to own this issue and make choices to minimize the risk.

Asphalt and bricks/pavers are 2 of the worst. Rubber is awful.

Good concrete and knitted nylon turf are the best.

This. While I loved Maple Hill I played there after a big rain and those teepads blow. And I don't care how good they are installed after a few years they get uneven and lumpy. They just aren't a good option. And rubber pads are an even bigger joke.

Hopefully we can find better solutions but ultimately players are going to have to own this issue and make choices to minimize the risk.

Agreed, that we need to be ultimately responsible but I just think there needs to be a standard set forth by the PDGA with players safety in mind.