• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slippery Teepads: The Solution?

Lol, maybe for some. Ive played on a similar surface once and it was more annoying than anything else but you could probably get used to it and it would be a non-issue

I can play on almost any kind of tee pad. I just don't want it to be dangerous. If it is slippery, let me have the option to tee off beside the pad. Also, make all the tee pads the same. I play a course that has a mix of rubber pads, concrete pads, and one paving stone pad. There's no consistent footing.

I want consistent and safe tee pads. I don't want to be afraid to throw.

I can play on almost any kind of tee pad. I just don't want it to be dangerous. If it is slippery, let me have the option to tee off beside the pad. Also, make all the tee pads the same. I play a course that has a mix of rubber pads, concrete pads, and one paving stone pad. There's no consistent footing.

I want consistent and safe tee pads. I don't want to be afraid to throw.

This.

A friend of mine slipped backwards and smacked his head pretty hard trying to tee off after it had just rained. Luckily it was mud he hit his head on but we were definitely worried when he was telling us he was seeing stars for a good 15 seconds. Laughed about it after cuz he got absolutely covered it what looked like poo mud but still scary considering if that was cement he would've definitely had to go to the hospital.

In all seriousness, I do wonder what is the best surface for teepads in terms of rain/wetness.

Asphalt maybe?

Concrete probably?

Bricks/stones?

Artificial turf?

Asphalt and bricks/pavers are 2 of the worst. Rubber is awful.

Good concrete and knitted nylon turf are the best.

This has been my experience...

In all seriousness, I do wonder what is the best surface for teepads in terms of rain/wetness.

Asphalt maybe?

Works great but doesn't seem to last very long and in a disc golf situation is prone to cracking and settling because it needs to be placed on a very well compacted surface. Gravel would be the ideal surface.

Concrete probably?

Concrete is probably the best assuming it is placed on a well compacted surface and finished correctly. Unfortunately, concrete is still prone to being slick in wet weather or when dirt/sand/mud is tracked on to it.

Bricks/stones?

No. Just no.

Artificial turf?

These are not bad but I am concerned about longevity. They have to be installed on a well compacted gravel base. The huge advantage is these can be moved much easier than any other material here and I feel like in most situations have about as good as grip as concrete. I like the idea of using these the best on the DGPT as portable tee pads from one event to others as sort of a standard surface. The challenge would be making them level or figuring out how best to angle the surface to match the existing ground. I foresee tripping hazards at the tee pad edge for the giant James Conrad run-ups of the world.

What the dgpt can control, they should control ,when the game gets big enough.

I can def see teepad uniformity and basket uniformity down the road.

Those qualifiers are the important part. Currently, disc golf relies on locals to provide courses and host tournaments, and there's a limit to how strict the standards can be set.

Anyway, it's a high bar to ask that tees not be slippery when wet (not to mention, when mud is tracked on them). "Least bad" is about all we can hope for.

Sidebar: We built a wood deck for a tee, and put some sort of turf with a rubber backing on it on top of the deck. As it turns out, we were too diligent in making the deck level, so the tee holds water like the Everglades. But we meant well.

At what length does that become a player problem rather than a tee problem?

I would say that the Conrad runup is a bit much to be expected on every course. But maybe a few feet behind the tee. As a tall player, most teepads are too short for me to even do a comfortable throw, so I always have to start from behind the pad. But I'm no Conrad. Super long teepads would be awesome but thats a bit over the top.

I would say that the Conrad runup is a bit much to be expected on every course. But maybe a few feet behind the tee. As a tall player, most teepads are too short for me to even do a comfortable throw, so I always have to start from behind the pad. But I'm no Conrad. Super long teepads would be awesome but thats a bit over the top.

Can't remember which course it was but I played a course with super long tee pads. I'm guessing they were fifteen maybe even twenty feet long. It was almost comical how much tee pad was behind me because my footwork and run up is short and compact so I only needed the front third of the pads.

Can't remember which course it was but I played a course with super long tee pads. I'm guessing they were fifteen maybe even twenty feet long. It was almost comical how much tee pad was behind me because my footwork and run up is short and compact so I only needed the front third of the pads.

I've played a course or two as well that had like 15' long teepads, they were just unnecessary. But I will say that I didn't hate it.

At what length does that become a player problem rather than a tee problem?

The majority of teepads on courses in my area are turf tees built on slightly raised wooden platforms (minimum 4" from the ground) and usually capped at 10' in length.

It absolutely works, but it means that pretty much everyone has learned to have a 3-4 step runup at most, add a 5th step and you're flying off the tee if you're 5' or taller.

With that in mind I'd love if the standard was like 13', after that you start getting severely diminishing returns.

Interesting to contrast Conrad's and Nathan Queen's forms off the tee in the recent Gatekeeper Media skins match at Brantwood. James with a full-body hurl and Nathan with a slow, smooth 3-step on the same tee shots. It goes without saying though that James is a world champion; it's working for him.

Textured or brushed concrete seems to be the best I've played on in just about any situation. I think they broom the concrete while it's setting, which provides small grooves that give your shoes something to grip, even when wet.

That said, some of them are better than others. I think the key is to use a pretty stiff, coarse broom, and maybe even be a bit "heavy handed," so as to create decent ridges. A finer broom and/or lighter hand may result in a smoother finish... which might be nice if you're barefoot, but that's not what we're discussing here.

I think it's hole 8 at Bryant Lake in the twin cities has like a 15' concrete teepad. It's absurd.

Latest posts