• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Slower Buzzz?

Mad Scientist

Eagle Member
Basically I'm looking for a disc that has the features I like in the Buzzz (straight flight, no bead, similar grip/profile, best in premium plastic), but a touch on the slower side. Suggestions?

I just got a Z Hawk from a guy here on DGCR, hoping for the same exact thing. Premium plastic, workable, all around great disc. Can't wait to get out on the course with it more!

Dart is a great disc for turnovers and straight approaches, but is best in DX plastic. I love them, carry two at all times (straight and flippy), and are great for approaches and getting out of trouble.

I've also heard the Opto Pure is like a slower Buzzz. I have not thrown one yet but I have one on the way as I type this.

I'm gonna guess a Pure as well. It has a straight flight and feels pretty shallow. Anodes are also really straight and feel shallow in the hand. Most putters are deeper feeling, and have beads to get their stability, but those two don't (at least I don't remember the Pure having a bead).

They are on the fast side of putters like the Buzzz is on the fast side of mids. They all like low lines.

i reach for a putter for those shots but beadless might get flippy on you.

i wonder if you can't just slow down the buzzz it is more workable esp if paired with a comet. since the comet can really be thrown at 30% for short upshots with great control.

The buzzz and comet combo is pretty good, buzzz for more powerful shots just short of fairway driver distance, and the comet for more finesse shots that require less power. You barley have to throw that thing and the glide just does the work for you.

The reason I suggested putters is because the mids that are slower are typically more finesse type mids and are not really like a slower Buzzz. They also are typically better in lower end plastics. The putters mentioned handle power just like the Buzzz does and are great in premium plastics.

I throw newer heavy(175+) Z Comets for most shots in between my Wizards and Buzzz's. It's an excellent long approach and finesse mid. Flies straight when thrown flat and still fades out.

If the Comet isn't what you're looking for, try a lighter, domier, D, X or ESP Buzzz. I like 177 Buzzz's but also carry a 170 ESP that's thrashed but holds excellent lines at slower speeds that my newer heavier Buzzz's can't. I suggest D, X or ESP because in my experience those are generally the more understable Buzzz's, also they get soft and floppy when beat so you can drop accurate shots in the putting circle without a skip.

Last but not least the Zone is like a mini-Buzzz but only in the way the rim feels, it flies much, MUCH more overstable, however I had success beating a Pro D Zone into a pretty darn straight flyer with some good seasoning.

Last edited:
Last but not least the Zone is like a mini-Buzzz but only in the way the rim feels, it flies much, MUCH more overstable, however I had success beating a Pro D Zone into a pretty darn straight flyer with some good seasoning.

Same here. I don't carry a buzzz because I have a beat D Zone. 1 flies like a Z Buzzz, one flies like an ESP.

You are asking for a QMS. Slower, also a bit shorter, but that's what it flies like. Rim is just a touch deeper but not like a putter. Current ones are gummy and flexy, very nice and buzz-stable. SMS and MMS might turn just a touch or will beat in that way.

Anode and Lycan would fit the bill, too, but of course they don't feel like a Buzz in the hand at all.

Basically I'm looking for a disc that has the features I like in the Buzzz (straight flight, no bead, similar grip/profile, best in premium plastic), but a touch on the slower side. Suggestions?

If you want a slower Buzzz, to dumb it down, make it watch Jersey Shore.

Just get a max weight Buzzz, or get a Roc.

I haven't thrown one, but the super stingray has a somewhat similar feel, comes in premium plastic, and has similar flight ratings (-1,1). It is also rated as a speed 4 whereas the Buzzz is speed 5.

But I'm going to have to suggest a comet as well. I love it in ESP plastic. It may feel nothing like a buzz but it certainly fills the gap of a slower straight flying disc.

I know you said no bead but I would have to say Classic Roc. To me it is a very close buzz