• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Small Diameter Discs

The 21cm minimum had somewhat to do with safety but mostly due to the size of the gaps on the Mach I basket.

The 21cm minimum had somewhat to do with safety but mostly due to the size of the gaps on the Mach I basket.

If that is the case, then could they scale it back to 20.00 cm? Or less? I'm sure no manufacturer would want a putter that could slip through chains, but having a small, compact driver might be worth it. Plus, by shaving off one cm, you could get lighter weights, making them, in theory, just as safe.

Comet is a large diameter. Or it just has a thin rim. Either way, feels completely different in the hands than a buzzz or roc.

There has been a proposal along those lines (20cm) but no momentum in that direction - safety being the biggest concern. If a lower diameter were ever allowed, there would likely be other restrictions that might include weight, flex, height and/or edge sharpness.

That's good that they're looking at making smaller diameters, even if it doesn't have much steam at this point. We're reaching the point of super saturation as far as mold variables, within the existing parameters. They will have to change the specs, or manufacturers won't be able to produce unique molds. (There may be copies at this point already, since the PDGA has approved nearly 600 molds)

So why not a 23cm disc with a destoyer wing? Fast, with a lot of glide. Just as long as you can keep the flight plate thin and move most of the weight to the wing...

That's good that they're looking at making smaller diameters, even if it doesn't have much steam at this point. We're reaching the point of super saturation as far as mold variables, within the existing parameters. They will have to change the specs, or manufacturers won't be able to produce unique molds. (There may be copies at this point already, since the PDGA has approved nearly 600 molds)

Best argument for more plastic development I've seen for while!

So why not a 23cm disc with a destoyer wing? Fast, with a lot of glide. Just as long as you can keep the flight plate thin and move most of the weight to the wing...

It would be too heavy, unless it was Blizzard, then it would be crazy hard to control.

If DG is ever going to be taken seriously as a sport, if anything, the specs and what's allowed should be tighter not made broader. We don't need more disc variety than we already have to execute the shots required for the sport. Ideally, the breakthru needed IMO is for manufacturers learning how to consistently reproduce each disc model every production run.

Well, where's the fun in that, Chuck? You mean to say that there aren't 600 different sizes of major league baseballs? :p

Last edited:
Nothing is stopping manufacturers from making smaller discs for rec play. Those discs don't have to be PDGA Approved. The next frontier which I think will be interesting is the development of PDGA Approvable discs for night play that include built-in lights, buzzers, sensors and batteries along with discs molded where the night play/locating gear can just be snapped or slid into tabs molded in the bottom of the disc so the night gear doesn't have to be attached during the day. We're getting started developing the parameters for new specs to be discussed with manufacturers.

^^Nice!

I would never use them, but those sound pretty awesome for those who love night golf.

I think the technology is coming along nicely such that players may eventually attach it or buy it already built-in to simply help find their discs even in broad daylight.

(8 years later) Would love to see smaller diameter discs approved for PDGA play. Speaking of "there may be copies at this point" in 2020? nah.... lol...

The next frontier which I think will be interesting is the development of PDGA Approvable discs for night play that include built-in lights, buzzers, sensors and batteries along with discs molded where the night play/locating gear can just be snapped or slid into tabs molded in the bottom of the disc so the night gear doesn't have to be attached during the day. We're getting started developing the parameters for new specs to be discussed with manufacturers.

I think the technology is coming along nicely such that players may eventually attach it or buy it already built-in to simply help find their discs even in broad daylight.

(8 years later), still surprised there is no PDGA approved light you can just tape on to the bottom of your disc. Guessing the additional weight that might push it over 180g is the issue? Or maybe it changes the flight too much?

(8 years later) Would love to see smaller diameter discs approved for PDGA play.

why? to reduce the functionality of baskets?

(8 years later), still surprised there is no PDGA approved light you can just tape on to the bottom of your disc. Guessing the additional weight that might push it over 180g is the issue? Or maybe it changes the flight too much?

Pretty much any LED light or glow stick you can tape on there is legal for play at night or when there is snow. Ridiculous IMO.

In regards to smaller diameter discs, I think their usefulness would benefit the drive more than the putt.

Pretty much any LED light or glow stick you can tape on there is
legal for play at night or when there is snow. Ridiculous IMO.

When was this rule put in play? I was out the entire 2019 season, but I'm guessing it was approved before that. I couldn't find the year it was put in play.

"A glow stick or LED light may be attached/taped to any PDGA Approved disc for use in sanctioned events where play occurs after sunset in that time zone.

In addition, these lights, ribbons, or chalk dust may be used with PDGA Approved discs for use during sanctioned play in daylight, specifically when there is sufficient snow cover on the course where the lights, ribbons, or chalk might make discs easier to locate. Non-PDGA Approved discs such as those with built-in LED lights cannot be used at any time during sanctioned play."

In regards to smaller diameter discs, I think their usefulness would benefit the drive more than the putt.

How so? Allow for more distance? If that is the case I would be even more opposed than I already am. IMO disc tech should have been limited well prior to when it was. I can see some sort of argument to be made for smaller discs for kids I suppose.

When was this rule put in play? I was out the entire 2019 season, but I'm guessing it was approved before that. I couldn't find the year it was put in play.

Don't know off the top of my head... has been a few years though.