• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snakes on the course!

My first thought was cottonmouth but like Dave said, many snakes have markings that make them look like more dangerous snakes as a defense against predation.

Cottonmouths contribute to the problem by being so variable in color, themselves.

I've learned a little bit of snake identification since moving to a rural area 11 years ago, but luckily for me, with enough uncertainty to hedge my bets, and keep my distance, even when I ID them as safe.

I'm going with Common/Northern,

We have a lot of northern water snakes, and they tend to have brighter colors. Though, of course, some variability in that.

I was thinking maybe a banded water snake, too. But regardless, I'd think you were on the right track with water snake, regardless of which variety.

To me, cotton mouths have such a distinctive look to them that there is no mistaking them if I can see the whole snake. The head, body thickness and pattern(if you can see it) are all so different than the water snakes we have. Not unlike knowing a spotted bass from a largemouth on first sight. Just an overall look that is distinctive and different.

Problem for me is, my area has so few species of water snake, I just don't see the variety that many do. I'd say 99% of the watersnakes seen in my area are either diamondback(by far the most common) or broad-banded. That's despite maps showing a few other species here.

Stepped on a black snake on Saturday at Holly Ridge. He went one way and I went the other, both at extreme speed. Scared the hell out of me. I was definitely high-stepping to get away from him and it took two holes for my heart rate to slow down.

I had a 5 1/2 foot black racer in my house on Saturday. The result of a tactical error, in which I'd tried to run him off my porch, forgetting that I'd left the door open.

Which only qualifies for this discussion by the fact that once I got him out, and off the porch, he was on a disc golf course, where he was supposed to be.

Im grateful i disc in northern wi. Odds of encountering anything venomous is unlikley at best. Still, i just avoid them. Not "afraid" just dont see the need to play with them lol

To me, cotton mouths have such a distinctive look to them that there is no mistaking them if I can see the whole snake. The head, body thickness and pattern(if you can see it) are all so different than the water snakes we have. Not unlike knowing a spotted bass from a largemouth on first sight. Just an overall look that is distinctive and different.

Problem for me is, my area has so few species of water snake, I just don't see the variety that many do. I'd say 99% of the watersnakes seen in my area are either diamondback(by far the most common) or broad-banded. That's despite maps showing a few other species here.

I have the exact opposite problem. We've identified at least a dozen species of snakes at our place---none venomous. So I only have pictures of cottomouths to go by. Not even sure if we have them---most of the range maps stop about 30 miles away, but I'm not putting stock in that. Lots of red-bellied water snakes and northern water snakes and, as I said before, perhaps banded water snakes too.

I'm sure we have copperheads, though I haven't seen them in our woods---just on city courses. Then again, we have king snakes, which kill copperheads, so perhaps we don't have many. To me, inexpert that I am, the copperheads are like your cottonmouths---when I see them, I'm certain what they are; when I see something that resembles them, I'm a little uncertain.

#15 short tee at Elon Eager yesterday. Can anybody ID the type? Sorry no head....it was gone when we got there.

Uv2i30HBnPAmBkrMWMkrZqvO2avm58WS9izM3FstLf1xecBvNT9BOY_7Kb0XIi4oBkG9AWkOqNp7SFO2X6Fg4KzHBihdVci_iRmn174ouRJBlDPRjZ8jMoSBmt2JcqQTjB1mo0Imp--fiYa5vqC_tGrWdfIvGyX3m1vQ8gffK0kbImDRTVWfZLUWTqnggcbeQyFThwrzN6wFXGcVt0T4jRa-gBSyZIVu4p-IC0FJPBmwkyS5Mdi0lmoQ4kHAtbyUmXcZFIo5uR2wQbfNa4a1_teIAMRa-UrXN6ah0Br0eFAa9wwUG7n8cBQvxnNX4BXXXg3NrU4bWvwspri4GeK-nx39vpHxsnI1K8x7VFZbTp8dEykMbu9zjkyid-XR0oqmR0afj3j78bvSUHyubdkOpRzsQiCpfabJwDuAKx2v54IIEOY5WDvMZ25K6BBfS435ripKrCugRerOYUP53O1EOuEuoeV2PrH3in90j4FRyhjoRbKhLnlh0f8nW6_kB0ayOJ3RYXoHjsIEy4H0HPkFHN2hLCrOJu6jk1dwBs4LzLWBom9MzA0-pXegCiTe0IqbkIEGlqnRURVWyiO5_P2yNCJR4oH2N4vxAxEL6loC=w1677-h943-no-temp.jpg

100% Common/Northern Watersnake (Nerodia sipedon). The only other Nerodia species in Charlotte is the Brown Watersnake (Nerodia taxispilota) and it has larger blotches on the sides than Northern Watersnakes. It's also worth noting that despite common misidentification making people believe they are, Cottonmouths are not found in Charlotte.

This is a great website for the snakes (and other reptiles/amphibians) of NC.

http://herpsofnc.org/snakes/

Poisonous snakes are not common in my state, and I am thankful for that, as I hate all of them, poisonous or not.:(

Poisonous snakes are not common in my state, and I am thankful for that, as I hate all of them, poisonous or not.:(

Poisonous snakes aren't common anywhere, unless you eat them, because poison must be swallowed or rubbed on the skin. Venomous snakes however...

(does it show I used to teach herpetology?) [insert nerd emoji]

Pretty easy to identify the venomous snakes here in MT.

Does it have a rattle on the tail?

YES --> Venomous!
NO --> Not venomous.

Poisonous snakes aren't common anywhere, unless you eat them, because poison must be swallowed or rubbed on the skin. Venomous snakes however...

I just had this conversation with some kids yesterday.

It's an important distinction, but only once you're out of striking range. When closer, either---or the succincter "deadly"---will work.

Well to make a long story short, it sucked! Anybody else have any snake stories out on the course?

Bit of an over reaction it sounds to me.:p Good chance the snake was non poisonous. You guys have Cotton mouth/Water moccasin's but they typically won't run and can be very aggressive. Maybe a copperhead? The only poisonous snakes you guys should have are water moccasins, Copperhead's and Timber Rattle snakes, which are very rare. I used to do a TON of backpacking and I have seen 1 in my entire life and possibly a few hundred thousand copperheads?? lol. More than likely it was a simple Garter Snake or black/rat snake. Rattle snake sand Copperheads are pit vipers which mean they typically freeze and try and blend into their surroundings because they sense body heat and know that whatever is approaching them is either a potential meal or something that could eat them. But since they detect heat, they work beat at night or when its cooling off. Easy trick to tell if a snake is poisonous is by the shape of their heads. Almost all poisonous snakes in the US will have a diamond shaped head with cat like eyes, and obviously if a rattle follows then run like hell! Almost all non poisonous snakes have a rounded "thumb" shaped head. Some Black snakes that live near copperheads can actually start to resemble them over time. Ive caught black snakes that had similar patterns on their scales to that of a copperhead but were definitely black snakes but the barn they were in had at least 20 copper heads in it so we were thinking its almost like evolution before our eyes??? Ive seen black snakes that were almost completely black but these had a slight diamond pattern but had the rounded head and some were slightly longer. But anyways the head shape tricdk isn;t a 100% fool proof way to know but it works for the majority of the US. I think FL has a few poisonous water snakes that dont fit that pattern but for 99% of the rest of the US its pretty reliable. I used to spend so much time in the woods from either riding or backpacking that i educated myself on what to look for and its come in handy multiple times.

Giles Run

Saw a 4-5 foot black snake on the first hole at Giles Run in Lorton. Always a comforting way to start out your round. Non-venomous for sure but still a little disconcerting.

I stand corrected.:eek: However, doesn't change my statement that I don't like any of them. :(

Saw a 4-5 foot black snake on the first hole at Giles Run in Lorton. Always a comforting way to start out your round. Non-venomous for sure but still a little disconcerting.

I have seen them around that location quite often. When they built the bridge over Giles Run for the cross county trail they filled the stream bed with sharp rocks. I think the snakes crossing over from the ball golf area to the wooded area below hole 4 use the level area near tee 1 as a sunning spot before reentering the woods.

I love those snakes, they eat the small rodents that allow the ticks to have a first meal before moving on to deer and us.

Americans talking about deadly snakes they might encounter on the course :D:D:D

Although, those rattlers are bloody aggressive, ours seem to run away so long as you make enough noise...but dont suprise them.