• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snakes on the course!

Well yes obviously ha ha! I paid a hell of a lot more attention to where I was walking after that point!

Just wish I knew for sure so I know how epic the story is. And how lucky I was!

Well that's easy, you go with Epic, "Damn biggest Moccasin I've ever seen! Almost bit my head off! That disc, it ate it, whole!"

Its a moccasin. After looking at the UF page, I can only say that its Florida. "Thick, blocky" does not preclude triangular.

I posted a pic in the Critters Pics thread of the well-over 6 foot snake at Alexander Park in Lawrenceville, GA. When I first saw him, I was about 4 feet from him and he was crossing my path. I got out the iPhone and started taking his mug shot.

I've seen a ton of snakes on hiking trips, camping trips, and the like. I've seen coiled timber rattlers on my path, and a pygmy rattler in the high grass near my path. I flicked dirt into the timber rattler's face, and he decided getting his snake butt out of there was preferable to more dirt in his face. The pygmy just stayed where he was as I got on by.

Basically, snakes do not care to mix it up with hu-mons (as the Ferengi say). Treat 'em with cautious respect, but no need to be overly fearful. This goes for water moccasins, too. The legends of their aggressivness are far, far over-embellished. They'd prefer to get away from you than attack you, provided you let them get away and don't **** with them.

Basically, snakes do not care to mix it up with hu-mons (as the Ferengi say). Treat 'em with cautious respect, but no need to be overly fearful. This goes for water moccasins, too. The legends of their aggressivness are far, far over-embellished. They'd prefer to get away from you than attack you, provided you let them get away and don't **** with them.

This. Its also not the snakes fault that you're screwing around in THEIR habitat. They were there first and their is no good reason to think you somehow as a human have a right not to encounter potentially dangerous wildlife when you are out in a natural environment.

All sweet and good, but it's hard explaining to a snake that you stepped on him by ACCIDENT, and he should just accept your apology and slither away.

Here's a a snake I found last year, he tried to shed his skin by squeezing through the ring on an old pop can, got stuck halfway and that was that.

Attachments

• DSC00036.jpg
    DSC00036.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC00037.jpg
    DSC00037.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 91
What's your point exactly?

I may not be overly fearful, but I'll remain a little fearful. The "if you don't bother them they won't bother you" defense has a few loopholes.

Also, I'm tired of all the non-venomous snakes getting a free pass, when the ligament damage that follows spotting one between your feet is real.

Don't get me wrong. Snakes are cool. So far at Stoney Hill we've identified about at least a dozen species, none venomous. But I'd feel better if they'd wear cowbells around their necks, so I don't stumble upon them when neither of us is expecting it.

On the other hand, if they're going to swim in the pond while I'm swimming, they need to be more discreet. I don't mind assuming they're there, but seeing them is disconcerting.

Snakes have finite quantities of venom, so they tend to prefer to save that stuff for potential meals. It takes time to produce more, time they might not have. So yeah, just avoid the buggers hahaha. They usually do the same to us.

129ld7.jpg

If you play disc golf in the south you are eventually going to have an encounter with a snake you can count on it. I just assume there are snakes on the courses where I play and try to be alert so that there are no surprise encounters. I always try to respect their personal space and so far they have always afforded me the same courtesy. I average about 3 or 4 snake sightings a year and believe in the live and let live principal.

#15 short tee at Elon Eager yesterday. Can anybody ID the type? Sorry no head....it was gone when we got there.

Uv2i30HBnPAmBkrMWMkrZqvO2avm58WS9izM3FstLf1xecBvNT9BOY_7Kb0XIi4oBkG9AWkOqNp7SFO2X6Fg4KzHBihdVci_iRmn174ouRJBlDPRjZ8jMoSBmt2JcqQTjB1mo0Imp--fiYa5vqC_tGrWdfIvGyX3m1vQ8gffK0kbImDRTVWfZLUWTqnggcbeQyFThwrzN6wFXGcVt0T4jRa-gBSyZIVu4p-IC0FJPBmwkyS5Mdi0lmoQ4kHAtbyUmXcZFIo5uR2wQbfNa4a1_teIAMRa-UrXN6ah0Br0eFAa9wwUG7n8cBQvxnNX4BXXXg3NrU4bWvwspri4GeK-nx39vpHxsnI1K8x7VFZbTp8dEykMbu9zjkyid-XR0oqmR0afj3j78bvSUHyubdkOpRzsQiCpfabJwDuAKx2v54IIEOY5WDvMZ25K6BBfS435ripKrCugRerOYUP53O1EOuEuoeV2PrH3in90j4FRyhjoRbKhLnlh0f8nW6_kB0ayOJ3RYXoHjsIEy4H0HPkFHN2hLCrOJu6jk1dwBs4LzLWBom9MzA0-pXegCiTe0IqbkIEGlqnRURVWyiO5_P2yNCJR4oH2N4vxAxEL6loC=w1677-h943-no-temp.jpg

Yes, that would be my guess to. And probably a brown water snake:

https://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/nertax.htm

We have lots of water snakes at our place, of various species, and they all have the annoying tendency to somewhat resemble venomous snakes, at least to our inexpert eyes.

My first thought was cottonmouth but like Dave said, many snakes have markings that make them look like more dangerous snakes as a defense against predation.

Stepped on a black snake on Saturday at Holly Ridge. He went one way and I went the other, both at extreme speed. Scared the hell out of me. I was definitely high-stepping to get away from him and it took two holes for my heart rate to slow down.

Latest posts