• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Socially Positive Discs

Would You pay extra money for a higher donation to a charity?

• Yes

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 35 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Of course! I'd buy most fundraiser discs for local courses and clubs to help fund tourneys and pay outs. I would get behind charities too, if I knew it was going to the right places and people.

As far as the stock stamp vs. special stamp I guess it'd depend on the "special" stamp. Typically tourney stamps are lack luster in my opinion... But if it was done professionally I would prefer to not only donate extra cash but to visually represent too!

I am a cynic, so no. I think this kind of stuff is usually just marketing crap. I would compare the idea to all the pink stuff we are forced to see, buy and hear about. Christ, if all that money went to breast cancer research, it would have been cured years ago. I understand there are legit charities, but as far as I am concerned they are in my neighborhood, and the best thing I can donate is my time and compassion. Sorry to come off as a deek, but I think this is similar to the recent "green" disc golf bag thread.

This is even better than giving money. You give time and compassion. Locally as well, awesome. There are lots of people that will throw a couple bucks at a charity/cause but few that will get their hands dirty. Your time and personal involvement far outweigh a couple bucks. Your mindset is the thing that gets a charity started and keeps it going........:thmbup:

I'd probably be more inclined to enter a tournament held specifically for the purpose of raising funds for the charity... don't ask me why, I just would.
I too would play in a tournament to benefit Alzheimer's research, one of the local animal shelters, or some other cause I care about. However I doubt I would pay extra for discs that are not likely to be molds I throw in colors/weights I want.

Discs are such a personal thing that you're likely to be left with a bunch of undesirable colors and/or weights. Combine that with the fact that you've already reduced your consumer base by marking up discs to support a cause that you care about, but the consumer may/may not. The only way to have this be effective would be to not mark up your price and take the hit in your profit margin. Given that there is a 100% markup on most discs there should be room to do this, but not if you're concerned about making a profit on top of contributing to your cause. When you look at it this way it seems like a tournament would be the way to go. I'd play in a tourney for a cause I didn't care much about if I liked the format, but I probably wouldn't pay extra for a disc, regardless of the stamp if I didn't support the cause.

I'd probably be more inclined to enter a tournament held specifically for the purpose of raising funds for the charity... don't ask me why, I just would.

My only PDGA win (in Am 1) was at a charity event last year. The proceeds all went to the American Heart Association.

And of course, Ice Bowls all benefit local food banks.

I think the entire profit on the disc should go to the charity.

Otherwise, the charity gets $1 and the seller gets $8?

I have bought a few discs, where the entire profit goes to a charity or cause. But I'm with the others that a fundraiser tournament is much better; a tournament with custom-stamped, fundraising discs is the best.

Of course! I'd buy most fundraiser discs for local courses and clubs to help fund tourneys and pay outs. I would get behind charities too, if I knew it was going to the right places and people.

As far as the stock stamp vs. special stamp I guess it'd depend on the "special" stamp. Typically tourney stamps are lack luster in my opinion... But if it was done professionally I would prefer to not only donate extra cash but to visually represent too!

I agree with you completely!

At a tournament - yes. I'd choose the custom stamp to support the cause.
At an online reseller - probably not. I'd purchase the stock stamp to save money.

With Bogey on this one, give me a charity event anytime over a percentage of a disc sale. I rarely buy any item that claims to send a portion of the sale to a charity as usually in the fine print its like $.10 for every $10.00 donated goes to the actual charity. A lot of scam charities have soured me on these type of donations.

Give me an event were cash raised and canned goods and food go directly to a local charity. Or let me participate in a walk/run for charity or do some hands on donating of my time and efforts instead. Like to see a more direct impact than I do some tiny % going towards a cause.

Latest posts