• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Something between SW and LEO

chazman07

Par Member
I'm between a sidewinder and a leopard and really only want one or the other in my bag. I like the sidewinder because of the distance, but it doesn't have the touch of the leopard. I've thought of a DX Sidewinder, but I'm not sure if that would work. Is there anything that is a happy mix of the leopard and sidewinder?

First disc that came to my mind was a River... or maybe an XS or an Underworld.

Last edited:
First disc that came to my mind was a River... or maybe an XS or an Underworld.

I thought the River, too. It'll certainly give you the distance of your Sidewinder, and I find it to be very controllable. Awesome disc.

Diamond? Just a tick faster and a tick more u/s than the Leo.

Last edited:
The Icon Patriot would be a great choice. It doesn't have quite the turn of the Leopard, but it will hold an anhyzer release without much fuss. It's faster than the Leopard but not fast enough that it doesn't power down well.

I like the river recommendation, but also thought I'd throw Star TL out there.
IMHO the seems to have a just a bit more stability than a Leo or SW. My TL didn't turnover as much (or hold the line for as long when it did turn), at least not at the speed I throw.
Fine disc, just not quite as flippy as those listed in the OP.

The OP might wanna check out Marshall Street's Flight Guide for some quick, easy recommendations, or maybe even Joe's Flight Guide.

Kaiser, I used to throw FDs and liked them, but like the flat ones. Do you know if there's a way to find those?

Kaiser, I used to throw FDs and liked them, but like the flat ones. Do you know if there's a way to find those?

flat c-lines are easy to find, i believe they are the current stock in most online stores. however the flat s-lines are a different story, i've bought 4 s-line fds and only one of them was relatively flatfish. you'd have to call around. i suppose i could chime in here and say that i've been enjoying my s-line fds in the slot you mentioned.

Or what are people's thoughts about XLs?

XL's have greater stability than any of the discs I mentioned... not OS by any means, they are pretty straight flyers for most people, and season into slightly understable... but not as US as Leos or Sidewinders, and certainly greater stability than it's stablemate, the XS. Kinda like a TL, maybe a bit faster.

Hope that helps. I'll say it again: check out Marshall Street's Flight guide for instant basics on most discs. Not saying it's perfect or all encompassing, but if you're looking for easy to digest info about the speed and stability of different discs, it's hard to beat.

XL's have greater stability than any of the discs I mentioned... not OS by any means, they are pretty straight flyers for most people, and season into slightly understable... but not as US as Leos or Sidewinders, and certainly greater stability than it's stablemate, the XS. Kinda like a TL, maybe a bit faster.

Hope that helps. I'll say it again: check out Marshall Street's Flight guide for instant basics on most discs. Not saying it's perfect or all encompassing, but if you're looking for easy to digest info about the speed and stability of different discs, it's hard to beat.

you could get a beat in Elite pro XL and it would be pretty understable. I had one that was beat up. Flew much like an Eagle L, maybe more US and less speed.

Break in a star Valkyrie a little bit. I really wish I could get my seasoned one back. Speed of a SW, about the stability of a Leo. H-flips all day or a line holding machine depending on how you throw it. Or if you have the power it's nice for turnovers too

Latest posts