• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spectating at USDGC

KenanFlagler01

Par Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I'm planning a trip with my 11-year old son to watch the final day of USDGC (driving down Friday, driving home Sunday after, hopefully, playing the course).

Does anyone have any recommendations for making the trip memorable? My son is really into DG and would love to get some autographs. Also, Is playing Winthrop an option for the general public on Sunday? If so, how early does it open? Any fan tips for getting the most out of Saturday (e.g. When does the first card tee off? Lead card? Suggest following a card, focusing on certain holes, mix of each strategy?)

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

I'm planning a trip with my 11-year old son to watch the final day of USDGC (driving down Friday, driving home Sunday after, hopefully, playing the course).

Does anyone have any recommendations for making the trip memorable? My son is really into DG and would love to get some autographs. Also, Is playing Winthrop an option for the general public on Sunday? If so, how early does it open? Any fan tips for getting the most out of Saturday (e.g. When does the first card tee off? Lead card? Suggest following a card, focusing on certain holes, mix of each strategy?)

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

The onsite Pro shop usually has a special limited release when they open Saturday morning. People are always lined up and waiting for that. I think they announce this type of stuff on Facebook. Otherwise, the onsite pro shop will have plenty of USDGC shirts, discs and souvenirs for sale.

The clubhouse is right there at the tee for 1 and the target for 18. Hang out on the covered porch and you can watch groups teeing on both holes. The best time to get autographs is after the players leave scoring tent by 18. Please don't ask for autographs during the round.

Here is the link to buy passes: http://usdgc.com/?page_id=80 It says you have to sign up for Sunday play in the ProShop.

If I was going to be a spectator other than at clubhouse, I would:

Watch on road between Holes 1 and 2. You can watch tee for 1, 2, 17 and 18.

Next would be watching near the VIP parking area to watch 5 target, and the action on 6 & 7.

Also, on the road between 7 and 8 you get view of 7, 8 and 16.

Or you can follow your favorite pro around the course.

$10 to play on Sunday. Sign up for a tee time in the pro shop on Saturday (or earlier, I presume, if you can).

It's Spectator Day.
The $10 goes to Throw Pink.

How would you use a bicycle? I am not understanding something?

The nominal course length (tee-to-basket) typically comes in around 9800'/3000m. Throw in transitions between holes, and you're probably adding another 5000'/1500m. Additionally, there's a fair amount of up-and-down. If you're following a group, moving around to catch action on different parts of the course, the mileage can add up quickly, so a bike will definitely save wear and tear on the body. Also useful if you want to watch a card hole out and get to the vantage point down the fairway on the next hole to watch throws coming in before the card tees off.

Bring bicycles! When I spectated there years ago I was super jealous of the people with bicycles.

Agreed. I have been bringing my bike for several years and it makes a more enjoyable experience (888 is a good hike from the Shack). Most all of the pros are around the Shack/#1 tee before and after rounds for autographs or over at the Catering area near #2 basket and #3 tee pad/fairway. I have seen a couple of children ask for autographs during rounds and the pros (I think it was Barry Schultz once and Des Reading another time) did sign discs but I would not think that is acceptable.

How would you use a bicycle? I am not understanding something?

There are paved roads and walkways that lace the property, and much of the play can be viewed from them.

I've never thought of bicycles, but that's a great idea.

Bring bicycles! When I spectated there years ago I was super jealous of the people with bicycles.

I have never used a bike at USDGC. That is why I suggested those viewing areas. They are all an easy walk from the clubhouse or VIP parking lot.

Not being averse to walking, when I've had a chance I walked around in the morning of the final day, walking the course against the flow (which allows you to see a lot more action), trying to arrive back at the clubhouse in time for the chase and lead cards to tee off.

With that, I see every hole played twice, at least in part, and join the mob for whatever drama occurs. Plus, as many have attested, from many vantage points along the way you can see multiple holes being played.

Not being averse to walking, when I've had a chance I walked around in the morning of the final day, walking the course against the flow (which allows you to see a lot more action), trying to arrive back at the clubhouse in time for the chase and lead cards to tee off.

With that, I see every hole played twice, at least in part, and join the mob for whatever drama occurs. Plus, as many have attested, from many vantage points along the way you can see multiple holes being played.

Yup, this is great advice. Keep up with the live scoring so you know whether to pay attention to one of the chase cards or not. The roads/sidewalks do make being in the gallery easy to do. Printing or getting a caddy book is always helpful, especially if you are unfamiliar with the rules of the course.

What about tee times and activities on Saturday at the USDGC? My son is 11, so he may get bored being there from the gate opening until the final ceremony. I'm thinking we might play some DG ourselves in the morning, then go to Winthrop for most of the day. The lead card usually tees off in the afternoon, right? Are spectators allowed to buy tix, come in for a while, leave, and come back?

Latest posts