• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Speed 10 Overstable Drivers

aajpity

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I am a RHBH player that throws 350'-400' max depending on disc. I am by no means a power thrower. I currently bag a Volt as my go-to driver and love it for most shots. I also have an Insanity which is a nice faster understable compliment.

I was using the Fission Photon but I'm not pushing it much further than a Volt (I have my best throws with the Volt) and it's not working as a good wind fighter. So I am in need of some recommendations for a Speed 10 that can fight the wind and still give me some nice distance. I am not married to a specific company so anything is fine.

I was looking at getting an Orc. It seems to be what I want but not sure. I have tried the Predator in the past but I didn't click with it.

I've been really enjoying my Discraft Machete as a control/utility driver. Shallow, flat, beefy wind fighter. After a few rounds of spike hyzers it wound up being fairly workable. My arm might be a tick faster but sounds similar. Bonus, it's a great overhand disc as well.

I am a RHBH player that throws 350'-400' max depending on disc. I am by no means a power thrower. I currently bag a Volt as my go-to driver and love it for most shots. I also have an Insanity which is a nice faster understable compliment.

I was using the Fission Photon but I'm not pushing it much further than a Volt (I have my best throws with the Volt) and it's not working as a good wind fighter. So I am in need of some recommendations for a Speed 10 that can fight the wind and still give me some nice distance. I am not married to a specific company so anything is fine.

I was looking at getting an Orc. It seems to be what I want but not sure. I have tried the Predator in the past but I didn't click with it.

Orc, Starfire, Avenger, PD...

Orc can't be wrong; after all, it's in USDGC Champion Nate Sexton's bag.

pd from discmania

I will check this out and feel it.

Tesla. 1 speed faster, same HSS with a bit more dump in the fade.

Wrath. 1 speed faster. Slightly less HSS, sameish LSS

Ive used every Pre 2016 Speed 12 and under MVP/Axiom disc. Wasn't into those discs. Volt just isn't that great of a wind fighter. Its not bad but would like something better.

I am not married to a specific company so anything is fine.

You're thinking clearly.

If it needs to be a speed 10 then, like others have said, the PD sounds like a good option. I've never used one but the word has been around long enough that it's a great mold. It will fight the wind, get distance and be at the right speed.

I will check this out and feel it.

Ive used every Pre 2016 Speed 12 and under MVP/Axiom disc. Wasn't into those discs. Volt just isn't that great of a wind fighter. Its not bad but would like something better.

This is why it is so hard to give tips....for me, my Plasma Volt is not wind sensitive at all. If I suspect that there is hidden wind on a hole, I always reach for it.

I have no idea what to tell you other than good luck

Could be a difference in speed or spin. Is Morristown in the mountains? If so, it could be elevation difference. Some people just use more torque than others...

...or it could be all of those things.

I am excited to see someone else thinking about the Orc. I really like them but it doesn't feel like a popular mold these days. That said, if you are looking for a wind-fighter, it probably isn't the right disc. They can a little squirrelly if you get them turned over in the wind. PD is probably going to be more consistent for you.

Another vote for the S-PD. That disc is so great.

The Orc is great, too, but a little harder to find.

Also, just in the interest of spreading the gospel that is the Alpha, you seriously want to give the Alpha a look. (the one and only disc made by Mint discs) Mint only makes one disc right now, but it's a gem, and although I've been a PD thrower for several years now, I've been reaching for my Alpha instead more and more. I highly recommend a first or second run if you can get one. Third runs seem to be more beefy.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128632

I also agree with PD. It's very wind resistant but generally not crazy overstable. Holds line drive ropes into most wind. Keep in mind I find it is aptly named as a "power driver", it needs to be thrown pretty hard especially if you are 350-400 range max distance. You likely won't be powering it down much, but it is great for confident line drives.

This is why it is so hard to give tips....for me, my Plasma Volt is not wind sensitive at all. If I suspect that there is hidden wind on a hole, I always reach for it.

I have no idea what to tell you other than good luck

I never liked Proton or Eclipse Proton for Volt. I bag a Neutron mostly as a utility disc, two fissions because it holds up well in wind and gives me great distance. I carry a plasma as well but haven't thrown it much. Tends to turn more than my other volts. I like the disc as it's my go-to. This search is for a compliment disc because I want to add speed.

Volt has been my go-to since it was first released. That Neutron is beat to hell lol.

Latest posts