• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spin Painting

I can't speak to the fan users, but offcenter rings are totally do-able with the record player.

Rigged an old box fan up tonight.

Just want to thank Dan & Rayne. :thmbup:

Hopefully I'll be producing some fine flying art on it soon.

just wanted to ask a question. I have wired in a dimmer switch to my box fan and now im too scared to plug it up. I've weird it the same way the pictures on here have shown but I dont want to harm myself or any of the wires in my house. Guess I'm just asking what's the safest way to try this out without getting electrocuted?

Plug it in to a power strip with a breaker. If you are really nervous you can have the power strip unplugged, plug in the fan and turn it on to low speed, then plug in the power strip. If you did anything wrong the breaker should trip before any damage is done.

Plug it in to a power strip with a breaker. If you are really nervous you can have the power strip unplugged, plug in the fan and turn it on to low speed, then plug in the power strip. If you did anything wrong the breaker should trip before any damage is done.

Than you Dan. Finally just decided to plug it in and run with it. I'm curious though about this so called "dish soap" mixture. Does this mixture allow for thicker and cleaner lines like less "throw out"? I want to do vivid spirals from the center to the edge and it seems like the acetone mix just runs out and dulls too quick

How's everyone 'washing' their disc post-spin? If I don't wash the disc the ink smears / bleeds, but if I try to wash the disc (water/soap, alcohol) the ink smears / bleeds... Any advice?

Cold running water. No alcohol or acetone, that can definitely cause smudging. After a good cold water rinse use soap to finish it off. I suppose you could fill the sink up with cold water and submerge the disc if running water is causing streaking.

Cold running water. No alcohol or acetone, that can definitely cause smudging. After a good cold water rinse use soap to finish it off. I suppose you could fill the sink up with cold water and submerge the disc if running water is causing streaking.

Thanks! I've tried that but the water doesn't seem to do anything. I've left a disc to soak in even water for 30m+ and the ink still smeared when I put my thumb on it. Any other solutions out there?

Playing with the spin painting. So far not totally happy. But I do like them. I need more practice discs.
9suhcx.jpg

24mvz38.jpg

2vcj7th.jpg

Definitely like the golfer/tree combo. I find I get sharper lines by wiping the excess ink off of my brush before applying. It takes a few more strokes but ends up a bit cleaner. Excess ink is good for doing the edges of a disc, it'll splay out a little and provide for a splatter pattern.

How's everyone 'washing' their disc post-spin? If I don't wash the disc the ink smears / bleeds, but if I try to wash the disc (water/soap, alcohol) the ink smears / bleeds... Any advice?
I let mine sit for a few days, then wipe with Goo Gone- getting as much as possible as fast as possible, then a cold water rinse.

Playing with the spin painting. So far not totally happy. But I do like them. I need more practice discs.
9suhcx.jpg

24mvz38.jpg

2vcj7th.jpg

These look pretty damn cool to me.

Is anybody using a mix without acetone? I'm fundamentally opposed to messing with certan stamps.

Here is the spin box I made a few years ago. I haven't used it in a while, I may have to bust it back out sometime. I built it using a fan motor and a dresser drawer.

tiedye3.jpg

I think the acetone (or rubbing alcohol) will give some deeper/brighter colors. But I actually really like the "water color"-esqe look of this Buzzz I did with just Punky Color hair dye:

CircleBuzzz_zps0ae9956d.jpg

The colors actually really pop - that's just a lousy cell phone pic on a cloudy day...

Latest posts