• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spin Painting

What are you using for your dye mix?

I used a whole packet of iDye poly dissolved in 1/4 cup acetone. Seriously blingin' colors, but smearing / cleanup is a biiitch. Picked up some Goo Gone, hopefully that'll help. Thanks for the tip, Rayne!

am I missing something? I mixed my idye poly w/ like 30oz of water per color. Seems super concentrated but when I spray/paint/drop the dye on the disc on the spinner the dye is super watery and just comes right off.... what'd I do wrong?

Should I have mixed the dye packs with acetone rather than water?

am I missing something? I mixed my idye poly w/ like 30oz of water per color. Seems super concentrated but when I spray/paint/drop the dye on the disc on the spinner the dye is super watery and just comes right off.... what'd I do wrong?

Should I have mixed the dye packs with acetone rather than water?
There are a few different things you can use for spin painting, but yup, typically people use an acetone based mix for it. The concentration you're using is good for regular dyeing or as part of a marbling setup, but won't work too well on spin dyes.

to expand on Rayne's comments - you can also mix w/laundry detergent (clear all is what I use). Thickens up the dye so "adheres" a bit better & should slow down the "spin-off" effect.

I use an old record player, so not sure how helpful this will be to the fan users, but I also use a hair dryer after each application while the disc is still spinning - helps to set the dye in my opinion.

There are a few different things you can use for spin painting, but yup, typically people use an acetone based mix for it. The concentration you're using is good for regular dyeing or as part of a marbling setup, but won't work too well on spin dyes.

Thank you :thmbup:

old school bucs, spin dyed, spin bled, latitude 64 XXX

This disc was dyed in a bath originally to give it the old school bucs logo then spin dyed/bled to give it the rim.

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 248
Hey guys so I ordered more idye poly and squirt bottles. Bought clear detergant and put it in a bottle to test and its consistancy was perfect. I added water disolved ink and it immediately too thin, color and consistancy. This was a test with my watered dissolved dye.
My question is how much detergent per pack, or other unit of measurement, of undissolved idye poly? Thanks a lot! Want to use this batch properly!

Mixed a solid ratio of detergent and idye poly dry mix. Still too thin it seems. Also the detergent bubbles. Put some corn starch in there and it helped a bit but I want it thicker so it stays on the disc when I spin it. Maybe I am over spinning? Using a pottery wheel.

So tried spinning acetone and ink and damn it set immediately.

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 232
I PM'd Dan, and haven't heard back yet. I'm looking to buy an MVP disc for my father for father's day and wanted something unique. I was going to buy through marshall street, but then some some of the gorgeous dyes Dan has completed. Dan are you watching this thread... any MVP discs dyed right now that I could see pics of? Anyone else that does similar style vibrant color spin and multicolored dyes?

Been reading up on this thread a lot and it's helped a ton. I found an old record player at a thrift shop for $10 (pretty sweet deal). So now I have a couple questions. This is my first attempt on a yellow mini. http://i.imgur.com/bBG0ARJ.jpg

Will the red and green be brighter after it dries and I run it under water?

Also, how can I get this gradient effect? This is my favorite style of spin dyes and I'd really like to learn how to do it. http://i.imgur.com/pa1RCyB.jpg

Been reading up on this thread a lot and it's helped a ton. I found an old record player at a thrift shop for $10 (pretty sweet deal). So now I have a couple questions. This is my first attempt on a yellow mini. http://i.imgur.com/bBG0ARJ.jpg

Assuming the mini takes color you should have a much lighter and brighter color after it dries. Depending on the type of dye you used.

Also, how can I get this gradient effect? This is my favorite style of spin dyes and I'd really like to learn how to do it. http://i.imgur.com/pa1RCyB.jpg
This is dye mixed with acetone more than likely. The darker colors have more layers of dye. Probably also multiple colors used to go from yellow to green.

Assuming the mini takes color you should have a much lighter and brighter color after it dries. Depending on the type of dye you used.

This is dye mixed with acetone more than likely. The darker colors have more layers of dye. Probably also multiple colors used to go from yellow to green.

Everything he said + Worm dye also works really well for these spin dyes and doing gradual gradient color changes. I haven't mastered it myself yet but the worm dyes are very adjustable (on the fly) for achieving darker results the more dye you use and/or mixing colors to achieve gradient effects. Have fun!!!

Thanks fellas! I'll keep playing around with different mixtures. I'm using iDye Poly, clear All detergent an acetone. So far the only mix I've tried is about 1/2 tsp of dye, 2 tbsp of detergent and a little bit of acetone. The record player spins pretty slow so I'm not really worried about splatter. Should I try just using dye and acetone? Or would that be too watery/thin?

^Acetone and powder dye work great but it sets really quick. It can be too runny and 'spin out' on a box fan but works well on a turntable. Always have a small cup of clean acetone and some cotton balls/qtips handy also.

Thanks guys I wouldn't have been able to do these without you!!

FrKZ9dRl.jpg

aEZ0K84l.jpg

Everything he said + Worm dye also works really well for these spin dyes and doing gradual gradient color changes. I haven't mastered it myself yet but the worm dyes are very adjustable (on the fly) for achieving darker results the more dye you use and/or mixing colors to achieve gradient effects. Have fun!!!

How do you adjust the worm dye? Are you mixing it with something? I've got some decent, at best, results but I don't see a path forward to improve.

Latest posts