• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spit-outs. Flaw, or part of the game?

Are spit-outs a flaw in basket design, or just part of the game?

• Flaw in basket design

Votes: 80 39.8%
  • Part of the game that should be accepted

Votes: 121 60.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This topic really gets me going. I believe 100% that baskets could and should be designed more consistently to catch good putts. A good putt should not be penalized by poor basket design! Nobody wants to lose on a good putt that was spit out and nobody wants to win when their opponent was spit out.

I've seen a top pro miss on purpose in a playoff for first place in a tournament to counteract a bad spitout that their opponent had...because he didn't want to win that way. Shouldn't be a part of the game. We at least need consistent basket design...that would be a start.

No, I'm not saying I'm a perfect putter or even that putt was perfect. I'm just saying that a basket that is designed to stop a disc's momentum enough to corral it into the basket shouldn't have a low power, dead center putt from 4' or less bounce off the pole and out of the basket. For perspective, I'd aced on these same baskets on the course from 250'+ out, twice. Doesn't it seem preposterous that a basket can catch a driver on an ace run but reject a 4' putt?

You are right. It is absolutely preposterous!

Only someone that cannot win on their skill alone would vote that this should be accepted as part of the game. Good players don't want to get screwed out of a win or out of money by poor basket design.

I've seen a top pro miss on purpose in a playoff for first place in a tournament to counteract a bad spitout that their opponent had...because he didn't want to win that way. Shouldn't be a part of the game.

That is the dumbest thing i've been hearing all day!!! Not calling you dumb, just saying whoever misses on purpose because their opponent missed has to be the lamest person ever:doh:

Nothing and I mean Nothing is Guaranteed a Perfect Shot in any Sport.
When will people Understand that?

I can't believe this is 21 pages
I stopped reading at 17 or 18

spit outs may very well be a part of the game but that does not mean it is not a design flaw and that flaw should be corrected

why on earth would you just "accept" a random spit out of a good putt just because it has always been that way

technology and equipment advances

composite hockey sticks bend more allowing for greater whip
but they break more at seemingly random times
accept it as part of the game or should manufacturers continue to improve the product such that the sticks break less?

edit: it is part of the game
but it's a part I'd like to see minimized or eliminated if at all possible

all that would remain, hopefully, is that your putt didn't stick because you were too high, too low, too left, or too right

Last edited:
why on earth would you just "accept" a random spit out of a good putt just because it has always been that way

Because there is no proof it was a perfect putt or throw when it spit out:|
If you missed it was for reason, Also everyone that plays on a tourney or casual game have the same chance of missing a putt AKA Spit out.

So whats the problem?

There are some baskets that have bigger weak spots and some that catch quite well. So, let me as the "Flaw in basket design" voters this: Do you make decisions on which courses to play based on basket type? If you can name a tournament you bypassed due to the unfairness of the bad baskets, then you are being consistent.....and that is worthy of respect.

If you can point to none......well then this is really not a big deal.

I think if u fix the issue of the perfect throw spitting, u also will have more bad putts stick by default.

What im saying is, if u make a bucket that makes the "perfect putt" stick every time, u will also have a basket that makes bad putts stick more often.

I'll just let the poll do the talking:)
Here is the last video im posting in here, Kobe agrees with the one's crying about spit-outs.
Anyways I had fun Peace out!

Don't we all play the same baskets?

I'm not a fan of standardization of baskets in Disc Golf. I love going to play something like a home made basket or a unique tone poll or even hula hoops; for me it's all about the creativity of the sport and I think the way we are heading is away from this and it makes me sad.

I think a 'true' spit out is much more rare than people realize, let me explain. Most of these pros are putting very hard/fast at the basket and hitting the chains a little left, right or high and the disc is falling out. What MNcyclone said was true:

We have even more putters on the market and putt speeds have increased every year. Newer putters are designed to handle more speed. Players have shifted towards heavier putters. So now these new disc, preferences, and styles have made people think the pole holes need more modifications.

Guess what in Golf (ball) if you hit your putter a little hard and get too much speed on the ball it will hit the cup (chains) and cup out (spit out) and possibly roll away. If you manage your disc speed a little more carefully you can narrow your possibility if being spit out. These pros that make a "perfect putt" are usually throwing the disc very hard and/or hitting the chains high which SHOULDN'T count.

That being said there are times when you do control the speed of the disc and hit in the sweet spot and it spits out but this is much more rare than the "pro spit out".

I'll just let the poll do the talking:)
Here is the last video im posting in here, Kobe agrees with the one's crying about spit-outs.
Anyways I had fun Peace out!

LOL that might be the most irrelevant post on this thread.

Dave242, I don't "not play" courses or tourneys where baskets don't catch as well, but I certainly adjust my putting style on many of these courses. It's a little bit annoying at times, but rarely affects things.

True spitouts, however rare they may be, have to be one of the most aggravating parts of a game that I love because it is so relaxing. It usually isn't difficult however, to move on because there's no reason to let it affect the rest of your round. Sucks, but life goes on.

If they go to a ball golf hole with 12 uniform scallops around it then I would agree our current target might be good enough. But there's no chain pattern that will ever provide a consistent and radially symmetrical target area as Discspeed points out. The chain pattern repeats every 30 degrees as you move around it and every degree moved is a different pattern. No one can see the changes from 30 feet away even if they were able to adjust their shot based on their knowledge of how the chains might respond at 42 degrees versus 54 degrees to their putt.

The poll results aren't surprising because park and rec surveys have indicated the lower the skill level the more luck or flukiness a person prefers or at least finds acceptable in a game. That's because if no luck was involved, the better player would always win. With fluky baskets and pinball alley fairways, the lower skilled player has a better chance.

Should we all go to tone polls then? Can't be spit out of a tone poll.

If they go to a ball golf hole with 12 uniform scallops around it then I would agree our current target might be good enough. But there's no chain pattern that will ever provide a consistent and radially symmetrical target area as Discspeed points out. The chain pattern repeats every 30 degrees as you move around it and every degree moved is a different pattern. No one can see the changes from 30 feet away even if they were able to adjust their shot based on their knowledge of how the chains might respond at 42 degrees versus 54 degrees to their putt.

The poll results aren't surprising because park and rec surveys have indicated the lower the skill level the more luck or flukiness a person prefers or at least finds acceptable in a game. That's because if no luck was involved, the better player would always win. With fluky baskets and pinball alley fairways, the lower skilled player has a better chance.

AHA! This proves that everyone that voted "accept it as part of the game" is an inferior golfer to myself, and those that voted with me. Case closed!

I have only had one spit out ever. It was a 10 foot putt that I shot too hard and it hole the pole and spit back out. I know that if I wouldn't have putted it as hard, it would have stayed in. I should note though that I am a poopy putter. I'm sure I'd have more spit outs if I could actually hit the sweet spot consistently. Hah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts