• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sprained / Swollen Throwing Hand (RHBH)

zrxchris

Birdie Member
So I took a fall off a Zipline 3wks ago and must have put out my RH to break the fall.
Doc said it wasn't broken at ER, swelling has gone down quite a bit in knuckles/top of hand, but still swollen & tight around my proximal & middle phalanges (big knuckle & middle knuckle).

Yeah I know, don't play...but our local state series championship is next week, so just been playing 1x week. So I can play in that tourney.

Ice, elevation etc....ibuprofen
Anyone know any good hand exercises that might help? Feel like I need to pop my knuckles but can't. I can make a fist fine, but not tight,

I've had a sprained (the doctor thinks) right middle finger knuckle for the past month. I played a few rounds after it began hurting (didn't seem like anything at all at the time) and now I'm out for a month and need 6 weeks of hand therapy. Don't play!
I start Tuesday maybe I can share what they have me do for therapy.
Learn to play opposite hand meantime. It is actually fun.

Ill mirror what was said and tell you not to play. If you HAVE to play, I recommend throwing understable stuff. Don't have to give as much snap and can throw in headwinds with less effort

This spring I sprained my ankle 5 days before the state championship. I was the stubborn mf that said f it, I'm playing no matter what. I pushed through some serious pain, finished both rounds, threw some of the worst golf of my career, and probably extended my recovery time by months. It wasn't worth it - you will not do well, it will hurt, it will suck, and recovery will take that much longer if it doesn't make things even worse. Take the time to rest, volunteer, spot, count scores - there's much better ways to be involved without hurting yourself more.

Now, back to the start - fell off a zipline? that's the story I tell to how I sprained my ankle because it sounds so much cooler than "I was taking out the trash..." So, seriously, were you harnessed in? Something broke? Fill me in on some more of this story - or does it end with "actually, I was taking out the trash..."?

I was just talking to a guy the other day his story was "I broke my tib/fib when I was getting chased by a bear through the woods... actually I was taking out the trash..." No Way! I fell off a zip line the other day...

Swollen Hand Too

Yeah , I seem to have bruised a bone or something in my right hand . :doh:
Went and saw my physio that has been looking after me for 20 years of hockey injuries , back tweaks , Mtn. Bike damage , skiing pains and she did everything to comfort me that nothing serious was in there .
Missed last months tourney , no field work but I seem to be able to putt with my index finger on the rim . Played a miserable tourney last weekend , and my hand is fat again ... Damn ....
Hopefully another month will settle it down , or I'll buy stocks on Aleve :thmbdown:

Disc golf puts considerable stress on your hand and fingers. All the advice below is sound, OR you could ask a doctor?

Feel like I need to pop my knuckles but can't. I can make a fist fine, but not tight,

You can try to pop your knuckles, instead of the usual 'press down on them', by gripping something round and squeezing. It should be just large enough so your fingers barely contact your palm, like a large broom handle.

Last edited:
I have swollen throwing hand, it gets/got so bad that I sought out a Rheumatologist and also second advice from a sports med dr. DX is a weird form or arthritis in my throwing hand (almost no gaps in the knuckles where there should be some) I explained to the dr that I am an avid disc golfer and had been for almost 20 years and they assume that along with a past family history is the issue. I have taken to taping my throwing hand (middle finger only) much like you see other sports peoples and drummer do. This seems to help out with the pain during the round. Also, after you talk to a real dr I am sure that they are going to put you on some form of naproxen (aleve). My non-pro advise would be to take 2 and call me in the morning, also tape the problem fingers and see a dr.

you will not do well, it will hurt, it will suck, and recovery will take that much longer if it doesn't make things even worse. Take the time to rest, volunteer, spot, count scores - there's much better ways to be involved without hurting yourself more.

Nothing to add to this

Zipline at the inlaws had spot off the bank before you hit the water.
It was just a T-bar. I had done it Agee times no problem, I'm a big guy so the was a bit of a dip when you come off the platform, one time I just couldn't hold on. Landed on my side, pretty sore for a few days...but the hand wasn't really bugging me till a few data after.

Going to the doc and see if I can get a topical anti-inflammatory.
Then take a break...

Thanks

Shut it down. You may not play as well in the tourney but you will save yourself a few weeks of down time in the future if you push your luck.

Old sage on the mountain says...

Your hands and feet are more precious than diamonds and gold.

What do you value?

Latest posts