• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stable Mid Range Disc For Drives

Riley

Bogey Member
I would like to hear what others are using as far as an OVERSTABLE mid range disc for drives. Right now I use a Full Color Roc(flat top) and a San Marino Roc. The reason for the post is I tend to flip them when I put a lot of snap into the drive. Sometimes I will throw a Teerex or a Wraith softly on a short hole(250FT) that I need to come back to the left on a RHBH throw.

I use a Millenium EXP1 that I found. On the disc is printed SUPER FAST SUPER FADE. It is not really super fast but it does super fade.

i use Z or FLX Buzzz - can get a good 250 - these go very straight with little fade at the end -great discs

even though they are out of print you can still pick these up...

Innova Wolf DX

straight as an arrow all the way through. I have a woods one, and one I try and not to hit wood with.

Rocs can go 400'+ without flipping. My first recommendation is to fix your form so that your Rocs aren't flipping.

If you really want something more overstable you can try the Z Wasp, though.

I personally use a 178 E Element-X and when it starts getting to straight throw a new one in the bag. I've been working more and more with the E-Elements but the Element-X's just feel better in my hand

If you want an overstable mid range. I don't think that there is anything more stable than a champion gator. It turns over less than my destroyer.

The cro is very stable IMO (I have two that are star plastic). Currently I use a max weight FLX Drone. I can't get much more than about 250 out of it because this thing turns left hard. Perfect for those situations where I am afraid to "accidentally" turn over my star rancho roc. It's also great for the wind for this reason (a stiff headwind still won't flip it) as well as aproach shots that you don't want to glide past the hole.

I would like to hear what others are using as far as an OVERSTABLE mid range disc for drives. Right now I use a Full Color Roc(flat top) and a San Marino Roc. The reason for the post is I tend to flip them when I put a lot of snap into the drive. Sometimes I will throw a Teerex or a Wraith softly on a short hole(250FT) that I need to come back to the left on a RHBH throw.
If you are flipping a Ching Roc, either it is beat and you need a new one OR you are torquing it over and need to work on your form a little. A flat top Roc should be plenty stable.

If you want to try a more stable mid range, the Q Sentinel from Millennium should be mentioned.

Garublador and Three Putt have a good point. Form looks like an issue. After reading what Garublador wrote yesterday I went out this morning and focused more on form and less on raw power. It worked. I Have been more concerned with power behind my throw then form. Although I didn't get the distance I needed, the disc did exactly what I wanted. It went straight for about 180-200 feet then fell gracefully to the left. I have also looked online at some of the other discs you guys(and gals perhaps) have suggested and am leaning towards the Star Gator. It Sounds like something I can work with. Right now the only mid range discs in my bag are 3 ching rocs and one Champ sanny Roc. I have tried others, but the roc feels best in my hand. Would it be wise to look at other mid range discs or stick with one and master it. Any thoughts?

I already wrote one long and involved "love for the Roc" post on this board somewhere, so I'll try to be brief. DX Rocs will beat in to cover the whole spectrum of midrange shots. I'd suggest just sticking with them. If you feel like you want to keep a piggish disc like a Gator in the bag for a really stiff headwind that is an option, but I'd bet that in the end you don't use it very much.

i know this isnt a midrange but i can get my esp banger to 250' on a good throw, it is difficult to turn over.

the weird thing is is that i can throw a max drive 300' and a max accurate approach 250 feet lol. the banger is my driver on courses i need to have accuracy as well as distance

i know this isnt a midrange but i can get my esp banger to 250' on a good throw, it is difficult to turn over.

the weird thing is is that i can throw a max drive 300' and a max accurate approach 250 feet lol. the banger is my driver on courses i need to have accuracy as well as distance
I agree, I think the Banger is marketed incorrectly. I've always thought the Banger made a better overstable mid than it did a putter.

As far as the gator and the cro isssue...it really depends on what type of courses you play...I had a cro in my bag for a while, but it flew so much similar to my spider that I didn't think I needed both. It is a very good backhand midrange. As far as the Gator....personally I use it as a pinpoint midrange forehand disc, and if I am in question as to my upshot as to what to throw, it is my "go-to" disc. It is a little too stable for me as a backhand disc, I guess because I just go to my spider so much. You will NOT get the distance you do as any type of roc with either the cro or gator, but you do gain accuracy with them. So if you play dense wooded courses...may help your game...if you play wide open...probably won't help you too much.

Another option for an overstable mid-range is the DGA shockwave. If you need something a little more stable the DGA squall is a good choice.

brand new roc is working good for me now. but i would try the wasp. it flies similarly to a new roc but the in ESP plastic it last for a long long time