• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Standing on Top of the World!

Might as well get pictures of each, especially if you want people to provide pics of others.

Whistlers Bend 14
6c113f0d.jpg

Delaveaga 27
1c77d012.jpg

Stafford 6
651d793f.jpg

Walnut Creek 17
71e0ac0c.jpg

Diamond 18
f59948d9.jpg

Road trip

I have got to schedule a business trip to Oregon so I can play those course's. And visit some local brew pubs.

Hole 16 at Ventura is pretty good. Probably even better than DeLa... but not Stafford or Whistlers. (close though). Hard to tell from this photograph... but the basket is down there quite a ways. Plus with tons of vegetation around the basket it's a tough birdie. It's definitely the best TOW shot in So-Cal (then again... maybe tied with wrightwood #11).
DSCJNKY

I've played three of the five ...

... and I think I have to order them:
Stafford
Walnut Creek (mid-Oct thru mid-Nov for the colourful foliage)
DeLa

Rockburn #15 isn't as dramatic, but has the advantage of being only five minutes away! :)

Which high rise hole would you like to throw!
Whistlers Bend 14
Delaveaga 27
Stafford 6
Walnut Creek 17
Diamond X 18
Other provide details/pics

Here's a short and unfortunately not great video of Jeff Faes throwing hole 1 at Tarwater (a temp course in the santa cruz mountains) in some heavy wind. The basket is down at the bottom 500ft away and at least 150 downhill...you can kind of make out where it is...in front of the tree line to the right of the brush lining the fairway on the left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shdas-M0ZpE&feature=related

That is one extraordinarily cool day...I never played in Cali but that sounds awesome! I think the consensus is that Stafford beats Dela based on what I'm hearing from people who have played both holes.

Yeah, I've done days like that too, but never all three in a single day (too much driving, I'd rather play multiple rounds).

There is no use comparing Stafford and DeLa, they are completely different types of courses. Stafford is a rough-hewn country course, whereas DeLa is a well-kempt course in a park on the edge of a city. DeLa has loads of big trees, tunnels, and lots of DG culture. Stafford has loads of elevation, open shots, and you'll rarely see another player out on the course. Napa is a fantastic course too, still wild but very nicely kept up.

Top of the world at DeLa...Nate Doss, Josh Anthon, Nikko Locastro, and Greg Barsby:

Doss_Anthon_Locastro_Barsby.jpg

Josh doesn't like posing for "The Man"... They're lucky he didn't turn around and face the other direction.
DSCJNKY

I've played the first 3 and I have to give it up for Whistlers 14. When I played it, the basket was in a realy long alternate position that made for quite a pull to get it close. DeLa was a fun hole, but a little too packed in the space, my first drive went over the road and hit the port-a-potty in the parking lot:eek:.

I've played the first 3 and I have to give it up for Whistlers 14. When I played it, the basket was in a realy long alternate position that made for quite a pull to get it close. DeLa was a fun hole, but a little too packed in the space, my first drive went over the road and hit the port-a-potty in the parking lot:eek:.

Hitting the cars in the parking lot is a regular occurance at Dela. Last time I played, I apparently hit some woman's tire with a leopard.

Yea, but that shouldn't be. I don't like that much risk with my reward.:)

Well they shouldn't have 4 crossing fairways at DeLa either but folks deal with it. Your secret gem of a spot looks suspiciously like a certain place up in Humboldt that I've been lucky enough to play.

Well they shouldn't have 4 crossing fairways at DeLa either but folks deal with it. Your secret gem of a spot looks suspiciously like a certain place up in Humboldt that I've been lucky enough to play.

Hmmmm... It might be...

It's fun to see other people that have played that course, due to it's location and secretivity (is that a word??). How did you like it?

Hmmmm... It might be...

It's fun to see other people that have played that course, due to it's location and secretivity (is that a word??). How did you like it?

It was excellent. Though I am partial to Pescadero in terms of rough wilderness courses go.

It was excellent. Though I am partial to Pescadero in terms of rough wilderness courses go.

Still haven't gotten the chance to play that one. Isn't it near Santa Cruz?

p.s. I watched a friend throw off that hole and land within 5' of the pin, posibly aced it, but no one was close enough to see. Easy eagle on a par 4 is still a good score.

Latest posts