• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Standing on Top of the World!

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Which high rise hole would you like to throw!
Whistlers Bend 14
Delaveaga 27
Stafford 6
Walnut Creek 17
Diamond X 18
Other provide details/pics

Last edited:
Is there an all option? I haven't played any of them, but I've looked at pictures of all those holes and they look like a ton of fun.

where the hell is the poll I wanted to add to this thread
I am a poll cat and wanted you cats to do another poll...Damn anti poll cat conspiracy!

Whistler's bend hole 14 looks amazing I would love to shoot that hole. The others looked cool but that one takes the cake.

Well, I've played DeLaveaga #27 and Whistler's Bend #14, so if I had to pick one of those it'd be Diamond X #18.

Last time I was at Whistler's, I threw 3 discs from the top, and this was my best attempt:

whistlers_bend_14_best_shot.jpg

(My "real" shot wasn't nearly so nice, but still a solid 3.)

Last edited:
I've plyed 3 of them (whistlers, stafford, and santa cruz) and it's not close - Stafford 6 is the best top of the world shot I have ever played. More elevation, equal distance, equal scenery, and MORE punishment for a bad throw. Whistler's 14 is simply too wide open... there is zero trouble near the pin, and not much trouble off the tee either. And, Santa Cruz 27 is just too regular... it's just down the hill... and the scenery there loses to whistlers and stafford.

Stafford 6... (has to be the high tee-pad... follow the trail up the hill to the right just after hole 5's pin)... is money. The basket is sitting on top of a large knoll with tons of trouble short, left, right, and long. If you don't land on the knoll, you're screwed. If you go deep (40' past the basket) you done. There is another thread where MikeShoys posted the picture of this shot... The picture tries, but doesn't exactly do it justice. Still, it's bad ass.

Stafford 6.
DSCJNKY

Ive done DeLa and Stafford. I think Stafford is farther and uglier if you really boof it up.
Both really nice!

Walnut Creek?? Where is that?
Def. not walnut creek Ca. thats what caught my attention.

walnut creek is just outside of charlottesville virginia. i suspect whistlers bend to be the best of the bunch but given a poll i'd vote for walnut 17 since i designed the hole. :D

home boy bias- what can i say?;)

DSC_0654.jpg

hole 6 at stafford lake in california. the basket is on the saddle of the hill, left of center. its just really satisfying to watch discs fly off this hole, and the scenery is awesome too. it can be a bitch to hike up there on hot days though.

Found the picture MikeShoys had posted. Wonderful scenery.

I remember playing Dela one day and by the time me and my bros made it to top of the world there was a single who came up via the 2nd hole. We let him fire away. He had 4-5 brand new Innova discs, He threw the 5 shots with a smile on his face, went down and "played out the hole".

I think he may of been heading to jail or something, sort of a "Point Break" thing. It was a trip.

Anyway, fantastic hole with spectacular view and many different routes to the basket. I have skipped at it before and it takes your breath away. Anyway, try to get out to play it if you can.

I've played Stafford Lake, Whistler's Bend and DeLaveaga...It's a hard call...but I will say I have birdied Whistler's Bend once and parred DLV...and bogied Stafford... so maybe WB wins :)

Last edited:
I have only played Whistler's since it is an hour away from me and I haven'y had the oppurtunity to travel to some of the courses in other states yet. I absolutely love hole 14. Especially if you walk up to the tee that is further up the hill. Just incredible scenery with the Umpqua River right there. I vote for it by default but I can't wait to go on a road trip next summer and play some of the amazing courses that are sprinkled across the country.

P.S. DSCJNKY, You always seem to have something against our Oregon courses, that they aren't good enough for you.

Just kidding brother, to each their own. That is the great thing about this sport and country, everyone is different and has unique tastes :)

I have only played Whistler's since it is an hour away from me and I haven'y had the oppurtunity to travel to some of the courses in other states yet. I absolutely love hole 14. Especially if you walk up to the tee that is further up the hill. Just incredible scenery with the Umpqua River right there. I vote for it by default but I can't wait to go on a road trip next summer and play some of the amazing courses that are sprinkled across the country.

P.S. DSCJNKY, You always seem to have something against our Oregon courses, that they aren't good enough for you.

Just kidding brother, to each their own. That is the great thing about this sport and country, everyone is different and has unique tastes :)

The Oregon courses are very nice...have you played Horning's Hideout yet?

We just discovered those last month...the are a blast and they are building a 3rd on the property right now :)

You know that hole at Whisler's right on the cliff, maybe 12 or so? One time I let my approach shot go and it was like super charged and sailed straight as an arrow and went sailing over the cliff right to the edge of the river...what a crazy hike down to get it

I saw you said JK but I still have to respond.

Check my courses played list... I have played 12 courses in Oregon. Oregon is the Bomb! In another Forum, I voted for Oregon as being the best disc golf state. I think Milo is the best course I ever played. I drove five hours one way to play Whistler's, played it, then turned around and drove five hours back home... (stopped at the wild river brewery and Lake Selmac too - which, by the way, is another Oregon DG course I like). No bad feelings for Oregon here. I'm saying it here... If anyone wants to go on a DG vacation... go to Oregon!

But, this was about the best Top of the World shot. That belongs to Stafford.
DSCJNKY

The best elevated hole I have played is in Jefferson, NC. I would say it is a good 500-600ft above the basket. When you have a good throw you can easily get it over the road.

**Basket is to the left of that bush. Also the hole now had a concrete teepad.

f13f06a1_m.jpg

Latest posts