• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Starter Course vs Current Course

Shipley

Birdie Member
On what course did you learn to play Disc Golf?
What course do you currently play?
Which do you prefer?

I learned to play Disc Golf at McClure Park, in Tulsa, OK. in 2005.
I now play at Cameron Park in Waco, TX.

Cameron Park is more challenging and a better course, IMO.

I learned to play on every course in the country. I currently play on the course I built in my back yard. Can't say which I prefer - I definitely miss life on the road. Being "settled down" and constructing my own course to my preferences has it's advantages.

I learned to play on every course in the country. I currently play on the course I built in my back yard. Can't say which I prefer - I definitely miss life on the road. Being "settled down" and constructing my own course to my preferences has it's advantages.

Sick brag martin.

Starr-Jaycee in Royal Oak Michigan is where I learned the game. I play everywhere now, I prefer this.

I first played at Carter Park in Bowling Green Ohio. Years ago it was a good course and provided a decent challenge. Now they have cut down many trees and the course is boring.

I learned to play on Blendon Woods here in Columbus. Again, the course was fun until many trees were cut down to deal with Emerald Ash Borer.

I currently play Brent Hambrick Memorial in Columbus most often, but Deerfield in Mt. Pleasant Michigan is my favorite place to play. Both are superior courses to the ones I learned on. Even if Carter Park and Blendon Woods hadn't been scalped the longer, tighter and more interesting holes on Hambrick and the two Deerfield courses would hold my interest for much longer.

Started playing at Evergreen Open Space in Goleta, CA. Now, I mostly play at Turtle Rock in Markleeville, CA and mix in all the other Tahoe courses. It's a vast improvement.

Played my very first game at Arrowhead Park, but learned an appreciation for the game (and it's various physics, mechanics, and idiosyncrasies) at Castle Hayne, which is the course I currently call home.

The Castle is definitely preferable, but Arrowhead has its perks being five-minutes from the job.

I played my first round of DG at Knock Knolls in Naperville, IL in 2002 or 2003. I'd never heard of the game before and had no idea where to buy discs. I had fun, but didn't take dg very seriously. I didn't play again or even think of the game until 2006 when we saw discs at a local sporting goods store.

We picked up 3 discs each and started playing regularly at Central Park in Oakbrook, IL in the summer of 2006. I loved the course and the game. It was a very tight wooded course that forced you to shape shots. At this early stage I had no idea how to go about that, but it was a blast when a lucky shot made it down most of the fairway.

Nowadays, I play the most at the Commons and Madison Meadows (both in Lombard, IL). Not the best or most challenging courses, but they are convenient and stroller friendly.

I learned to play at Earlewood some 18 years ago, and for the first year played it exclusively. It is still one of my most-frequently played courses.

Though I do have an affection for my current course, which is a bit more challenging.

Which do you prefer?

Hey I also learned to play at McClure! You didn't like it? Its one of my favorites in T-town.

Well, I started way back in 1990 playing with my dad and his friends at the old Rattlesnake course in Missoula, MT. It was kind of a secret course; you really had to know where the teepads were and what the targets were. There weren't any maps, and no baskets. Just threw on trees. They had different colors for the short and long positions. I'd love to go back and actually set up a course with baskets and teepads out there, but it's on federal land so I doubt it would ever happen.

The course I really learned on was Blue Mountain in Missoula. It was the first local course with baskets, and by the time I was in high school I was way too "cool" to be playing with my dad, so me and my buddies would go up to Blue. I actually got some real golf discs instead of the Wham-Os I used at Rattlesnake and actually figured out the game at Blue. The old layout was super tough.

Right now the closest course to me is the Dragons Lair, which starts right outside my barracks. But when I go back to Colorado, my house is equidistant to Cumberland Green and Widefield.

I prefer Blue Mountain over just about any course out there. Great views, great level of challenge, great mix of holes. Nostalgia factor helps a lot too.

I started playing back in 2002 at Lucy Park in Wichita Falls. I played off and on for 10 years and started to look into playing tournaments in 2012. Last year I got the chance to help design a course in my home town of Iowa Park, Tx and I play the majority of my rounds either there or at Lucy Park. Both are mostly short open holes. I enjoy going down the DFW and playing some of the courses there (Bicentenial, Veterans, and Lester Lorch) to challenge myself on longer, more difficult courses.

Have played McClure in Tulsa and thought it was one of the better courses in Tulsa.

One of my favorite pictures of McClure.

otela0.jpg

The 1st course with baskets that I played was West Park in Joliet IL in 1979. I'm still learning how to play. West Park is ok, but I have played better courses.

Which do you prefer?

McClure is a fun one, I didn't play it enough when I lived there.

I learned on Chandler Park - Original in Tulsa.

Now I mostly play Abendschein in Oak Creek, WI and Valley View in New Berlin.

Overall I like the Milwaukee area courses better than the Tulsa courses, even though I do think that the Tulsa courses are a bit underrated. Chandler still holds a special place in my heart, but I like Abby and VV. At least Abby has a decent mix of shots. Chandler was a good starter course for me though. VV is similar, when I want to introduce someone to the game I will take them to VV. Abby is not a bad choice for that either, but I fear that new players will get intimidated by 500+ ft holes.

I learned at the 2 courses in Hudson mills metro park(Milford,MI). My current home course is "the farm" in Farmington hills,MI. I'd much prefer to still play the other two courses.

Latest posts