• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Starter FH disc

GoobyPls

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
My wife is interested in playing casually. She has back issues and probably won't throw backhand much. That's a challenge for me; I know lots of great starter discs for backhanders, but what's a good forehand starter disc?

I know you said she has back problems, but how athletic is she? That will make a difference. But I would recommend something like a Star TL, or based on the discs you carry, a Thief or River. If it is an Opto Thief, that is enough stability but not too much that she cant get some distance from the throw (Bio may be too understable but it really depends on how hard she throws and what how good her form is).

So let her throw a couple of the discs you have and go from there. Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of giving her something too stable. Maybe a tad more than you would start off with backhand, but don't encourage bad form by giving her a disc she is not ready for.

Depends on how you're gonna teach her to throw. If you're gonna have her flex the discs then a star Tbird/Crave type of disc. If you're gonna try to have her throw more straight or flip shots, then a Leo3 or DX Tbird or Axiom Inspire might work. Take her over to Hazy Shade and let her pick one that is comfy in her hand.

Depends on what you want, the cheapest good answer is a DX Teebird. I also like the Jade, Champ Leo and the View. For a new player those are all fairly neutral and will take some oat without killing the shot.

Fizz volt. I use it when Im being lazy or my back hurts.

Versatile af. Pair with an ion and shell be good to go on any course.

For something in a midrange, I recommend a Panther, and no I'm not kidding. It's a great disc for learning forehands, and gets good distance (I know this from overthrowing the basket several times...).

Is she looking to improve? Is she looking to greatly increase her skill level? Or is she just looking for a do it all disc so you stfu and she can spend time with you?

Also, any disc you bh you can/should be able to fh.

Slow and stable-understable. Champ or Star Leopard. If she has back issues, the less effort she has to put into getting distance, BH or FH, the better. Mongoose or Mamba when/if she's ready/wants to move up.

Depends on what you want, the cheapest good answer is a DX Teebird. I also like the Jade, Champ Leo and the View. For a new player those are all fairly neutral and will take some oat without killing the shot.

What is a view?

Anyways, honestly a good forehand disc for beginners varies for everybody. Big rim, small rim, flex or flat, depends on a lot of things, with comfort being important. Understable to straight 7-11 speeds are good depending on hand size, so the river, teebird, escape, stuff like that is what I learned to love throwing forehand.

My brother actually started forehanding with a DX Archangel and now he curshes all stabilities of discs on a variety of angles. I wouldn't necessarily go that understable, but something nice and neutral wouldn't be bad. Stalker or Teebird are great. Also the Crave would be a good choice.

What is a view?

Anyways, honestly a good forehand disc for beginners varies for everybody. Big rim, small rim, flex or flat, depends on a lot of things, with comfort being important. Understable to straight 7-11 speeds are good depending on hand size, so the river, teebird, escape, stuff like that is what I learned to love throwing forehand.

Yikuns stable fairway, it's like a baby Teebird with less fade.

Is she looking to improve? Is she looking to greatly increase her skill level? Or is she just looking for a do it all disc so you stfu and she can spend time with you?

Also, any disc you bh you can/should be able to fh.

She got a Gummy Champ Tern as a door prize at our club's end-of-year party this past weekend. She likes the way it looks/feels and was saying it's too bad she can't throw with her back all jacked up. Then one of the guys at our table suggested she try throwing forehand primarily. That got her interest. From my experience, FH is much easier on the back muscles than backhand is. I doubt she'll ever play competitively, but it would be cool if she could play casually once in a while.

I had my second shoulder surgery two years ago and only throw FH now. I started out at a whopping 40 feet or so wrist flicking during my rehab. Then I tore my rear deltoid and started over. Yay.

Some of what I used to throw isn't all that comfortable in a FH grip anymore. But as I was rehabbing and coming back, I primarily threw a Plasma Proxy, DX Stingray, Neutron Relay, and DX Valkyrie. Funny, as I've inched my way towards 300', and occasionally beyond, I still bag all those discs and have slotted some others around them.

I'd honestly say the Relay has been the most comfortable disc to FH, for me.

A fairway driver that has a good stability while not being overly overstable and its flat/easy to grip : Axiom Crave (like 7/4/-1/2 ) - I don't bag it anymore but one thing that kept it around was how comfortable it felt for forehands. I like it for that.

Faster disc / more distance - MVP Proton INERTIA (10/5/-2/2) or Axiom Wrath (10/4/0/2) - Inertia is more understable - really anything should be fine, there are a ton of options for what you're looking for

I used the Valkyrie a lot when I started throwing sidearm. It feels great in the hand and it has some carry yet still have some fade at the end. A chucker buddy of mine is using the Beast a lot for forehands, I guess it's very similar to the Valk

Champ Leo is a good call.

Light GL River, or as mentioned before, the Jade, would be good discs to grow into as well.