• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Steady" Ed Originals

We definitely have them too at Winton Woods and Woodland Mound to a lesser degree. Miami Whitewater and Embschoff seem to have fared a little better. Embschoff doesn't get a whole lot of traffic though.

GREAT thread. I've played 21 of the listed courses and now have another thing to add to my bucket list.

Long Live Steady Ed----------------- - +

GREAT thread. I've played 21 of the listed courses and now have another thing to add to my bucket list.

Long Live Steady Ed----------------- - +

Hi Dan, was fun playing with you at the Ohio Masters...Your course bucket list ought to insure a LONG life, man! Like you said, just wanting to get to 100% of Ohio's courses might be an impossibility. I'm not halfway yet, and they keep putting new ones in the ground. Steady Ed should be pleased with what he started! :clap:

Winton Woods is such a fun course. Do you know why he would put Asphalt by the baskets thought?

^Maybe something added after the fact?

Winton is a ton of fun. It's a wonderful form improvement course since every hole is reachable by a putter.

I don't know what he was thinking with the asphalt, but all five of the courses he installed that I've played have them.

That asphalt was a terrible idea. I've never seen it anywhere other than Cincy.

It's fascinating that Steady Ed designed Winton, that disc golf history is so close to my home. Also explains why it's the most fun course to play for the fun of the game. The asphalt gets me too, maybe he knew someday people would want to season putters and midrange (he also knew someday it would become a great short game course) and so the asphalt was put in to help the discs "naturally" season. That's what I'm going with from now on at least..

I just saw the first review go up today for the re-designed Johnny Roberts course in Arvada, Colorado. Good to see it open again. Although it was sad to see the original "Steady" Ed designed layout get scrapped, it was rather inevitable due to the increased amount of non disc golf related traffic that park has seen over the years. It looks like the new layout was designed by John Bird, a respected (far as I know) long-time Denver area TD, player, and disc golf advocate. That leaves Ken Caryl as the only "Steady" Ed course left in the Denver area.

Johnny will always hold a warm spot in my heart, as I believe it was the first DG course I had ever played that had actual baskets. I've been hooked ever since I played it. :thmbup:

Last edited:
Steady Ed designed one of my favorite holes I've ever played. Hole #4 at Roscoe Ewing DGC is the oldest hole in Ohio. You throw a completely blind shot around a grove of trees to the right down hill. It remains a favorite of disc Golfers from around Ohio to this day!

I just saw the first review go up today for the re-designed Johnny Roberts course in Arvada, Colorado. Good to see it open again. Although it was sad to see the original "Steady" Ed designed layout get scrapped, it was rather inevitable due to the increased amount of non disc golf related traffic that park has seen over the years. It looks like the new layout was designed by John Bird, a respected (far as I know) long-time Denver area TD, player, and disc golf advocate. That leaves Ken Caryl as the only "Steady" Ed course left in the Denver area.

Johnny will always hold a warm spot in my heart, as I believe it was the first DG course I had ever played that had actual baskets. I've been hooked ever since I played it. :thmbup:

Weren't there a lot of changes to Johnny Roberts since the Steady Ed design? I thought I'd heard that one of the big problems there was that a lot of holes got modified to be longer/more difficult and that increased the amount of conflict with other park users.

Weren't there a lot of changes to Johnny Roberts since the Steady Ed design? I thought I'd heard that one of the big problems there was that a lot of holes got modified to be longer/more difficult and that increased the amount of conflict with other park users.

That's quite possible, i'm not very up on the history of changes made between the original design up to the most recent one, as i've not lived in that area for 11 years now. That course was a minefield of other casual park users, and I have to think that quite a few people we're probably hit by discs out there over the years. Sounds like the new design, albeit shorter, will make it a lot safer, maybe ensuring a solid future for the course.