• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Steady" Ed Originals

Disc Fiend

* Ace Member *
I love playing courses designed by the Father of Disc Golf, "Steady" Ed Headrick. These historical courses showcase our game's roots, and are a ton of fun! I feel that the spirit of "Steady" Ed can be channeled through these courses, and that we can pick up his good vibes and positive energies from them, and spread them to other courses and disc golfers throughout the world.

Let this thread be used to discuss all things involving courses designed by the Father of Disc Golf. Here is a list of all the "Steady Ed" courses. I have played three so far: Sedgley Woods, Leonard Park, and Cape Henlopen, and I can't wait until I have a chance to play some more!

Last edited:
I thought perhaps he did Maconaquah in Peru? I know Monroe and I tried to channel Steady Ed when doing the Red tees on his course at the IDGC.

you missed the most important course he designed - the first! on the OG page he is listed as Steady Ed. i've got 5 of his courses on my played list.

I've played 11, plus he was a mentor designer for my first course, North Valley, when he came to visit after the Iowa Worlds in 1989.

I've played Madelin Bertrand in Niles, MI numerous times and while it is short it is a ton of fun. The fairways are MUCH wider than what they used to be according to some of the old timers but even so, it's still a blast.

Now how it's being run on the other hand...don't really care for that.

Ed used to talk to me when I worked at White Birch becasue he came out and designed the course on site. He had an attachment to the course. He didn't have the same attachment to Oak Grove in Springfield because he designed that from a park map; he didn't actually go to the site and design the course. When we tried to clear up the issue of which course went in first, he had no idea becasue he really didn't even remember Oak Grove.

Neither course today is what is was in 1979. Tons and tons of trees have been cut down at both sites; huge amounts of erosion at White Birch. It's hard really to get a feel for what he was going for at either site.

I didn't even know he designed Albert Oakland.

Last edited:
Green Lakes State Park in Fayetteville, NY is the only "Steady" Ed designed course I've played. It was my 100th course played as well as the oldest course I've played. While it was fun, and neat to play a "Steady" Ed course, it was nothing special as far as the actual course itself. I also wondered how much, if any it had changed over the years.

Hamilton County Park District Courses

Woodland Mound in Cincinnati.[/QUOTE

I believe he designed all of the Courses for Hamilton County Park Districts. I don't know if he walked all of the properties firsthand or sketched the designs on a topographic map. Woodland Mound has been redesigned and retains 70% of the original layout. Miami Whitewater has went through a redesign but I haven't played there in 3 decades. Winton Woods and Embshoff Woods retain much of there original design but the emerald ash tree borer has devastated Winton Woods and Woodland Mound. I hear the trees at Embschoff have matured nicely.

Also heard he may have been an advisor on Boone County KY original layout.

I do remember the year or two when they were putting the courses in. I was camping with pops at Miami Whitewater in August of 81 and saw the baskets and found out a course was going in at Winton Woods which was great because Winton was 15 minutes from my house. Started playing with Whamo Guts frisbee and found my first disc , a phantom plus, in the long forgotten rough on # 4 Winton and recall my mind was blown to smithereens.

I've played 5 of the listed courses; I thought Ed also designed 2 (maybe 3) northern VA courses in 1979--Burke Lake and Pohick Bay.

I've played Arboretum, Roscoe Ewing, and all four of the Hamilton County Parks, so I'd love to have been able to thank Steady Ed for having spent so much time helping get Disc Golf going in Ohio! :clap:

I have played Oak Grove in Pasadena (not sure why this is not showing on the link to the courses especially since it was the first course) and Leonard Park.

I'm sure he had a hand in a lot of courses, but it's a data sorting thing. If someone is absolutely certain he did, maybe they could edit to read 'Steady Ed Headrick', so that it could be searched more consistently? :confused:

I am pretty sure he designed Highland Springs Reservoir. I believe he also did low gap in ukiah.

Almost 100% certain he did Highland Springs as I've played with a few old-timers who told many a story about Ed.

No idea about Low Gap though.