• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Steady" Ed Originals

I count 13 from your list that I have played, M Bertrand being my 1st in 1986...yes I"m old. I'll agree that Maconaquah in Peru, IN definitely has a Hendrick feel to it.

There's more in OK that he put in, or helped put in. At least 2-3 more in Tulsa.

I've played 2 - Honey Bear & Otter Creek. I agree that Maconaquah definately has that "steady Ed" feel to it. i should ask the Peru guys and see if he had anything to do with it.

Was he involved with the original layout at Iroquois Park in Louisville? For some reason it seems like I've heard that before.

White Birch is the only one I have played, and I liked it, though it was about 10 years ago. Very cozy as I remember. I also played Veterans Memorial DGC in Florence, AL. It is old school, and has Headrick style baskets. I think he could have definitely influenced the creation of that one, as well. The course named for him at the IDGC is wonderful, and I feel fortunate to have met Mrs. Headrick at the IDGC ribbon cutting ceremony. Ed sadly didn't live to see the day. I hope to see more of his work soon. "Tee off and fly freely!"

Joseph Davis State Park in Lewiston, NY too. Started plYing there in 1986. Mach 1 baskets that never caught anything!

While no designer is listed, I have been told by many that Hunt's Mean 18 in Rindge, NH is a Steady Ed course.

I've played four of these. I was under the impression that he did more designing than that list would indicate, but I'm sure that impression is incorrect. :)

I love me some Steady Ed courses. Honeybear, Bertrand, Oak Grove, Huntington Beach....:thmbup:

I've played 3 on that list, Bertrand, Winton Woods and Tourist Park. Probably played on more courses that he designed, or had a hand in designing though.

Great Thread!

Was reading through and came up with this question: Is there a "signature" of a Steady Ed design? Do these courses have any common defining features?

Great Thread!

Was reading through and came up with this question: Is there a "signature" of a Steady Ed design? Do these courses have any common defining features?

I know Ed liked to lay his courses in a Figure 8 pattern. Also, trees. Trees everywhere.

Was he involved with the original layout at Iroquois Park in Louisville? For some reason it seems like I've heard that before.

From everything I had every heard he did design the original layout.

I know Ed liked to lay his courses in a Figure 8 pattern.

I can confirm this on the four I've played. :)

More than trees, though (Huntington Beach and Oak Grove are fairly openish), I'd say elevation is a trademark of the Steady Ed "touch."

It appears to my eye that he likes to find tasty seams of elevation and follows them to great effect, creating a lot of rollaway, drop off, and blow-by potential. Trees are definitely used to good effect in the heavier wooded designs I've played (Honeybear and Bertrand), but the way he picked out and followed the best bits of elevation seemed the one constant among all four.

I count 13 from your list that I have played, M Bertrand being my 1st in 1986...yes I"m old. I'll agree that Maconaquah in Peru, IN definitely has a Hendrick feel to it.
just got a message from the Peru Disc golf Club. the club designed and built Maconaquah. "steady Ed" was not involved in the design.

Nothing in weekend driving range of south Florida:doh:

Some more for the wish list.

A buddy was playing Stafford Lake over the weekend and ran into Ed's nephew. He was telling a story about being a kid, walking the layout for Highland Springs with Ed when he was designing it. I guess the family had a place nearby. That seems to verify what I had heard from the old-timer locals when I played Highland Springs regularly.

I can confirm this on the four I've played. :)

More than trees, though (Huntington Beach and Oak Grove are fairly openish), I'd say elevation is a trademark of the Steady Ed "touch."

It appears to my eye that he likes to find tasty seams of elevation and follows them to great effect, creating a lot of rollaway, drop off, and blow-by potential. Trees are definitely used to good effect in the heavier wooded designs I've played (Honeybear and Bertrand), but the way he picked out and followed the best bits of elevation seemed the one constant among all four.
One of Ed's big selling points to parks was that disc golf could use land that wasn't good for any other sort of programmable activity. He knew that if we had to fight for land with baseball and soccer we would lose. He sought out spots with elevation and trees that would need a lot of landscaping to be developed into anything else; it put us in competition with disorganized user groups like people who like nature trails.

It also made for great disc golf, so win-win. The down side is the massive erosion that occurred by not properly landscaping the sloping land we used.

One of Ed's big selling points to parks was that disc golf could use land that wasn't good for any other sort of programmable activity. He knew that if we had to fight for land with baseball and soccer we would lose. He sought out spots with elevation and trees that would need a lot of landscaping to be developed into anything else; it put us in competition with disorganized user groups like people who like nature trails.

It also made for great disc golf, so win-win. The down side is the massive erosion that occurred by not properly landscaping the sloping land we used.

This makes a lot of sense. :thmbup:

I can confirm erosion issues (albeit, largely remedied in recent years at Bertrand) at Bertrand, Honeybear, and to a lesser degree Huntington Beach. I don't recall seeing terrible erosion at Oak Grove, but I might've just missed it.