• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sticking to one company

I stick with pretty much just one company (Discraft/DGA) for a few reasons.

1. Tradition-When I started playing there was only a handful of companies and Innova and Discraft were the big 2. Every one else had mostly Innova, and since I have always liked to do the opposite of what most people do, I bought mostly Discraft. Always did well with my XL,MRX,APX combo, so I stuck with Discraft.
2. Simplicity- I have come to realize that I have an addiction to buying discs as it seems most everyone else on this site does. If I tried out discs from other companies too I would spend way too much money on discs that are not even that much different from each other. Also the Discraft line is not that huge so I was able to try out most molds, decide which ones I like, and just use those in different weights and plastics.
3. Availability- The big companies are way easier to get color, weight, plastic combinations you want without having to search all over. I like to be able to easily buy the disc I want and have it fly how it should right out of the box in case I lose one or one gets too beat up. Which is also the reason I do not buy LE or OOP discs or rely on beat in discs for certain slots. I want something mass produced.
4. Location- I have always liked to try and spend my money as close to home as possible. Even though Michigan is a ways from me it is still in the upper mid west and I will support any product or business from there I can. (Michigan is a lot like Minnesota too). I know DGA is based in California but if Discraft is molding their discs some of the money comes back at least.

Keep in mind I do not have a problem with any other companies or feel other people should do as I do. But sticking with one company has improved my game a bit by just being able to do what needs to be done with the discs I have. Most discers do not like to hear it but these things are just glorified plastic plates and do not fly that much different from each other in their respective slots (OS driver, US driver, OS mid, US mid, etc.) so just pick one that you like for each slot and stick with it. Your game will improve with time, not different discs.

Haha people on the internet are just silly. Who cares how many brands I carry or somebody else carries.

Absolutely. There are more important things with which to concern ourselves, like how far people can throw.

Absolutely. There are more important things with which to concern ourselves, like how far people can throw.

ask mm1983 on here, about a month ago i'm pretty sure i set the world record for longest first attempt at throwing a comet off handed. dead nuts straight for probably about 250...turn and burn pretty much every other attempt after that.

I have no reason to doubt you. With corrections for internet distance, that comes to what, 75'? :D

You don't have any Medium "Death Takes It in the Junk" Wizards laying around by chance, do you?

I just checked my bag and I have 12 companies represented out of 26 discs.

How many companies are there? Good gravy. I thought I was forcing the issue when I was bagging 8 manufacturers' discs. Come to think of it I don't even carry, or have the means to carry 26 discs. Your bag must be the Whitman's sampler of discs(not to mention an anchor if need be).

Is there any sort of consistencies in a players game when they stick with one company? Or is it necessary to switch up because there are certain discs that just aren't replicated? I've played with people who carry only one company and I've played with people who have 5 different companies. I've recently thought about playing with only prodigy (never heard anything bad about the company). What are everyone's thought?

You need a Star Firebird and a Zone in your bag.

I think that anyone that purposefully uses only one company is limiting themselves, other than the pros who have to do this to keep their sponsorship. Innova used to be the only game in town and now there are soo many other companies that make very high quality discs. Dont limit yourself just because of a name or what you have heard from others about a particular disc. Keeping an open mind and throw them for yourself and then decide. You might just find a new workhorse for your bag.What works for one person doesnt always work for another. Your technique, style, ability and experience all play a role in how well a particular disc works for you. It takes a while to dial in what discs work for you. I think the most important thing about a disc choice is knowing your discs well and knowing exactly how they work for you and having confidence in them. Dont worry about what works for the pros or your buddies.

Keeping an open mind entails accepting the possibility that throwing only one manufacturer might just be the best for someone. And that someone was me.

I only throw innova. Not because I'm loyal to them or anything. I just (from trial and error) and I jet prefer the teebird and roc over almost anything.

I am an innova guy. I have tried MVP, Lat64, Prodigy, and Discraft. Of those 4 companies, MVP is actually the only one that I would bag some of there discs. Prodigy straight out sucks. Some of the crappiest discs I have ever seen brand new off the shelf. The other two and I just do not click. Innova covers my needs, I like the plastics and it is easy as hell to find.

I am an innova guy. I have tried MVP, Lat64, Prodigy, and Discraft. Of those 4 companies, MVP is actually the only one that I would bag some of there discs. Prodigy straight out sucks. Some of the crappiest discs I have ever seen brand new off the shelf. The other two and I just do not click. Innova covers my needs, I like the plastics and it is easy as hell to find.

I did see that the gas station was now selling "the Skeeter".

Sounded like you were razzing the "Skeeter" or gas station discs.

I did see that the gas station was now selling "the Skeeter".

LMAO. Good, because that is one of my staple mids. The skeeter and cro. I dont really care where the hell the discs are sold as long as i can hold them in my hand before i buy one. I know all the differences in the different molds to look for. PLH, dome, flashing, all of that stuff. Love me some skeeter.

Now who doesn't have an open mind. :|

Ah he is just peaved because i said brodigy sucks. Sorry but when i pick up a brand new disc and it has 1/8" or better flash and the flight plate is clovered already with never having been thrown. And the next five behind look the same way, yeah i am gonna think that companies disc are crap. Then when my buddy tells me hey i bought a d1 and a d4 and the d4 flies like the d1 should and the d1 flies like the d4 should. Even more reason to think the discs and company are garbage.