• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Still stuck 360-400 ft

Rll131

Bogey Member
My grip is exactly like sw22 except I used a power grip I get most the rip off my middle finger it feels like that anyway
Distance destroyer 340-380 average
Teebird 300ish
Rocs 280ish
I've really been working on slowing down and I've lost distance but gained accuracy greatly and even though disc aren't flying as far there flying how there suppose to. I've also noticed that even open players I've played against say they can throw 400-500 but yet can't out drive me and I'm at a legit 360ft. One more thing uvenoticed is I've watched a lot of pros in slow mo and appear to have worse form then me but can throw it a good 100ft farther then me am I missing acceleration or something? Here is a few videos any tips would be awesome sorry it's dark it's raining outside.

https://youtu.be/_6kDC6Es-jM

https://youtu.be/DDRzbTs95z0

Your right arm looks good to me, but you're spinning out your back foot/leg rather than shifting your weight. Because of the improper load you can't reach back late enough and really load up before the shift either. Have a read through on this: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127477

Also you can probably outdrive those players because they've never actually measured their throws and just think they can throw that far ;)

I think I understand hat you mean by inside of my foot on my rear foot your saying I was spinning by pushing around instead of shift my left butt forward and open. I just went in the garage and tried it out I definitely have not used those muscles before and could feel it. I'm confused on what you mean I can't get my reach back late enough.

Do the Door frame Drill video in the thread I linked, there are also 3 parts to that video if you go to the youtube channel with it and it shows how to time your reachback with your stride. You should be at max reachback while planting/shifting, when you are in the correct balance and shifting "from behind". You are currently at maximum reachback while your right foot is still in the air. Although this is simple to point out, I had the issue too and I couldn't correct it until I was shifting my weight correctly (and this fixed the issue automatically).

Just side by side your video with pro's, see when their maximum reachback occurs with regard to their feet/plant compared to you.

Yeah, hard to see it from behind the tee, but your front knee is going forward of your ankle, so it's not bracing you upright dynamically.

Sw22 is this because I am to upright and not low enough/athletic stance? So being at full reach back to early is just as bad as pulling to early? Also sp are you saying that pushing toward the target with my left butt will push me slightly forward in turn extending my reach back without really reaching back?

Last edited:
Yeah if you turn your left side toward the target behind you then your right side will turn back, while keeping your weight balanced inside of your stance. Doing both of these motions at once should feel very balanced and kind of equal/opposite in feel, but get you feeling loaded and ready to throw. Try to think of the reach back as a backswing/load/turn rather than literally reaching back with the disc.

Hard to say. You aren't planting with all your weight(Crush the Can) and your arm drops during the throw in both.

You're doing a couple of things that I have done in the past.

You're striding directly "at" the brace...basically it feels like you're bracing because you're getting stopped and you'll stand upright after, but it isn't correct. What's happening is you're jamming your front foot into the ground and your left side is just hitting your right side like a wall...some of it goes to the left of the brace (arm swings around) and some goes to the right (back leg) but it feels like you just get stopped on a dime. In a good balanced throw you'll just end up standing up...sometimes you'll swing around, sometimes you'll step to the side, but there's no impact or stopping feeling, just a controlled redirection.

So I'd try to make progress on the shift from behind concept still. It'll let you reach back almost as you're planting. You can tell you still hit the reachback early because you aren't turned the right way.

I also get into that exact same left shoulder/arm position. It sucks because it just swing/drifts around and in front of you, pulling your weight slowly forward. What worked for me was to get my hand beside or even an inch or two behind my left hip, rather than trying to get it a couple of inches in front. When I put my hand behind the hip then the arm and shoulder kind of counter the throw automatically. It'll take some playing around with, and the shift from behind stuff is more important first.

Do you have a favorite drill I can do for the shift behind concept? Your exactl right about the brace to me it feels like i come to a stop suddenly on my brace but I also thought that's what I was suppose to do any drills you know of for that also. I appreciate your help I am a very obsessive person and this is driving me nuts haha.

Go through the link I posted (and the link within that) of the first reply I had to this thread, it's post #2. That's a full explanation of how it worked for me with links to some videos and others' input. When it clicks conceptually you'll understand how it feels in comparison.

Yeah, you are softly putting your front foot down with weight still on the rear foot and your weight just goes over/past the front leg instead of sticking your foot into the ground and bracing up on the front leg. You need to shift your weight off the rear foot before you can plant your front heel with all your weight. Crush the Can with your rear foot raised off the ground 6" or so.

Latest posts