• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Still trying to find 450 ft golf shots

It is obvious that I am having problems with breaking at my rear ankle and knee. In my last video I started to notice that by the time my front plant foot lands by rear knee is forward of my ankle, which is something I am try to get better at, so, is what I am doing now okay, or am I still loosing leverage from that fact that my rear knee is forward of my ankle for only a portion on my stride forward?

There's no torquing hip rotation in your throw because you extend your rear leg too far(moving your center too far forward before you plant). You need to squat more inside the rear leg keeping your weight loaded more back as you move forward. You are not tilting your chest forward toward your knees and in a very wide horse stance or no squeeze between the knees.

is this the most likely reason that if I hop I feel like i make more power? About a year ago I was Informed that I should get rid of the hop and to go the X step, in doing so I did become more accurate but lost a decent amount of distance in doing so. I kept the x step because of the added accuracy I gained. Ill try and find the old video

The real question is can you throw from a standstill?

Ok finally got out to film myself throwing some standstill throws, I have been practicing trying to get my weight moving forward before reaching back and bracing. Still cant get my head around the squat with the brace/ ankle and shin at a 90 degree angle with my quad at a 45 degree angle or so.

well heres the videos

If you are going to move your hips forward, you need to stride your foot/leg forward. Your rear foot spins out during your backswing, literally it spins backward. You need to maintain and build torque and straighten the rear knee up staying more on your instep to clear and turn your rear hip targetward. It's fairly easy to see in both views how much more stacked and centered my posture is and swinging through my center of gravity on an upward trajectory.

I understand that my rear foot is spinning out, and see it clear as day. (not trying to make excuses, just inquisitive) While out there today I was really trying to concentrate on keeping a stance that was shoulder width apart, which was not easy to do without loosing my balance. I was doing this because of the problem that I have with having a stance that is too wide normally. So is it easier to drive the rear hip around with a shoulder width stance or slightly wider like you have in the images above? So, I am having a hard time feeling the added "weight" of my butt slinging around, is there a way that you can relate this sensation so kicking a ball, as I played soccer for over 10 years and can kick a ball quite well, but I have never gotten into baseball, hockey and usually HUB is referring to those sports to help link the feeling of the weight transfer. Also, am I having better weight transfer now, and just loosing out on any torque that I am building? or do you believe that I have yet to feel the benefits of building torque from my hips? As always thanks again for the time, but I have to say Im starting to get a little discouraged at this point...

Also in the rear point of view video, my last throw was with an X step. Here you can see the plane that I usually pull the disc through at. Should I try to pull even lower into my core?

The pull line is better in the x-step. Feldy's hip to the sky drill is a good one, where he talks about bringing the rear foot to the front foot in the finish. More aggressively you can kick your rear leg behind your front leg driving from your instep just like a normal kick but you need to plant closed(turning the thigh/foot back). So your finish you should feel the squeeze between your legs like squeezing a ball between them. The rear hip/knee should be driven forward, not around. If you watch Wiggins finish, he ends up with his feet tangled together and airborne, that is serious squeeze!
Hip to sky drill

If you are going to move your hips forward, you need to stride your foot/leg forward

100% agree. You're making it very hard on yourself by not moving that plant foot forward. This is that issue of people thinking "throwing from a stand-still" means not moving their feet. I thought this was the case too and left the field many times very confused.

The #1 issue with driving without a stride forward is that you will be completely reliant on rotational force. That's why you're "spinning out" your back foot. You're compensating so much for the fact that you have no movement forward (linear force) - and your body says, "Yo snail, you gotta get some power from somewhere!"

So you put all your eggs in the twist basket.

Good news is that taking a stride forward will take your body weight and accelerate it which gives us FORCE! Force = Mass x Acceleration.

That's why that last shot w/ the x-step was completely different from your standing shot (from posture to brace).

Also go back to the Hogan power move video, you need to clear your rear hip back(targetward) in the backswing, and straighten the rear knee. It may be hard to see in those pics, but I am turned back much further into the hips.

Your last post made me think of something, are we straightening our rear knee/leg out to push the rear hip towards the target (this is where the weight shift that Im missing happens)? Or is it that I need to turn more to get the hip towards the target and then straighten out my rear leg/knee to drive my hips forward mid throw?

This is that issue of people thinking "throwing from a stand-still" means not moving their feet. I thought this was the case too and left the field many times very confused.

Yep that was the understanding I had, and a one step would be where you take a stride forward. Glad I was just schooled by the HUB

Your last post made me think of something, are we straightening our rear knee/leg out to push the rear hip towards the target (this is where the weight shift that Im missing happens)? Or is it that I need to turn more to get the hip towards the target and then straighten out my rear leg/knee to drive my hips forward mid throw?
Yes to the first part, the lateral hip move happens more in the backswing. After that its more about maintaining leverage.

Okay, well my right @ss cheek is pretty sore! And I can say I confidently understand, at the very minimum, the weight shift and the brace. I still dont think I am doing it 100 percent correctly at the moment though, as I havent lost any distance, but I didnt really gain any either. Given, I feel this technique has much less stress on my upper body, especially my elbow, which has made the trouble worth it thus far.
Im going to try and get out to the field within the next few days. Now that I am feeling the weight shift/brace what is something else that I can concentrate on adding or changing?

I dint have much time so here are a few quick videos in the spare 20 minutes I had, there are a few throws in there that arent very good. Last video is a few pulls with trying to get the disc in the power zone like Nate Doss tends to do. I used to be alot better at it but I was hyper extending my elbow with my old form.
Im thinking that I need to get my hip going towards the target a bit more, and some more hip rotation. Still feels a little odd but ill get the feel for it soon enough.

OMG I just watched the video in the OP (hadn't looked at this thread yet) and recognized where you were..... I live in Teton hahaha what are the odds.

Watch the recent vids in my form analysis thread (Help me throw farther) and tell me if you recognize the park I'm throwing in. You just might.