• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Straight Drivers

You're giving advice based on your own really limited experience, which is ok I guess, but people don't want to get advice on how to suck at disc golf on here so consider listening up...

yeah, it's better to compare your personal experience to others, that way you know when somethings up (a leopard flying like a firebird for example. could have gotten a really messed up leopard or a really messed up firebird+bad form).

now we have to teach this to djjeremasdfsdaiah

It really depends on your power level. Most that are mentioned already are turnover drivers for me. A Beat champ teebird or a beat E* Destroyer are the straightest drivers for me at full power. At low power I'm probably just gonna throw a star leopard.

Does the E* not still fade out at the end?

Trifusal, that is exactly the point.

I absolutely do not look for respect on the Internet. I am not afraid of being wrong or not like everyone else. I've actually have learned a lot from reading (one person at this thread) suggestions, then taking those suggestions to the course.

He even suggests the Leopard.

My form is evolving.

My experience was when I was throwing nearly all 150g class discs to gain as much distance as possible. That Leopard was thrown at that time.

I throw heavier discs now.

Archon goes far straight, Banshee, Valkyrie I throw far A to B but it fades a little. Archon is new in the bag. My courses are grass, open and longish (opinion) and are well known.

I am Mr. Troll to a few that can't understand differences of opinion.

I am ok with that.

There is light here and it does shine brightly.

Thanks, you know who you are.

It's funny how we all start this game trying to throw as straight as we possibly can. I certainly did it, and it made sense, at the time, that I would want the disc to fly flat and straight.

Now I'll avoid throwing straight shots at all costs. I will hunt for a clean hyzer line if I can find it, simply because it's a more reliable line than trying to throw straight, or god forbid, anny ..:eek: LOL

That's not to say that I can't throw straight, or anny. I just have a lot more confidence in the hyzer line than anything else, and will throw the most overstable disc that I think can get me to the basket.

Alright Mr. Hangwind....

go out and make a video of you throwing these overstable leopards. I would love to see that...:popcorn:

A banshee is not a "straight" driver. A valk can be a straight driver if you don't have enough power to get its high speed turn to take over and flip it for you or if you do have enough power then you are throwing it on a hyzer flip.

I have a feeling that we have a troll on our hands here...

Last edited:
Thinking about the River now. it sounds like an awesome disc, thanks for your help :)

The River is one of those discs that I would never stop somebody from buying. I don't personally own one now, but I have, and they're awesome. At the time that I had mine, it overlapped with my AvengerSS too much, and now I only throw Wraiths in different plastics, and stages of wear.

You can call me Adam.

Agreed, physics = uniform.

Memory sometimes skew recall.

My longest drives are straight flying. My most accurate long drives have a little fade.

I'm not looking for a critique but I will try to can my Leopard drives, send the URL to a select few and go from there. First I have to buy another one.

I did not like my ION at first, now it is my favorite disc.

Oi, that was funny.

I was listening to lydon and rotten back in the late seventies on my way to go snow surfing or to the Ameron in the desert.

Cheers

....the Banshee I call straight has a flat, slightly dished top and is BTF but is smooth. It's line seems long corkscrew on it's axis, uhh, it screws as it goes straight, hmm, well, it flys flat, straight where I throw it when I throw it low.

Smile.

It isn't even a Banshee any longer.

I enjoy my Champ Viking very much. It is my single most consistent and straight driver.

Why no Gazelle love thats my straightest fairway. it does a small flex when I throw my beat to hell 9x on a hyzer angle but very very little fade.

The Avenger SS is also very stright for me....

Jls' and Squalls stay straight and both have good glide. A good mid-range that stays straight and can bomb is the Shark. Lots of people love the Leopard , obviously, but it doesn't work for everyone. I went out and got one based on advice from different threads, however I have never had great success with the disc. IMO the rim doesn't work great for people with large hands. I have to use the F.U. grip in lieu of the four finger grip when throwing it. It will stay straight but I get better distance with lesser discs.

Does the E* not still fade out at the end?

For the distance I use it for on a straight shot, there is no disc that wont fade out. If you ate looking for a disc that goes 400+ without left to right movement and doesnt fade, it wont happen. Even a teebird will start to s at that distance. The leopard i can't throw over about 325 without turning it over too far to be considered straight.

I'm about 6'0" 130lbs, my form isn't terrible but I unintentionally stop myself (killing any momentum gained) at the end of my x-step and pull through too high/low occasionally. If I'm shooting for a gap 100-200' in front of me, the straightest driver in my bag is either my 168 11x TB or my Z Buzzz, beat to where its lost a couple grams in weight. Howver, if there are no obstacles in the fairway, I can place my shots more consistently with a Leopard.

The slower discs usually offer more control than their high-speed counterparts.

Control <------------------> Distance (based on disc speed)

Z Buzzz ______ Leopard_______11x TB

Also, not only would obstacles in the flightpath determine disc selection, but how far I wanted my disc to travel/how much power I could put on it.

Last edited:
havent had a chance to read the other posts but im sure its has been mentioned...

-> dx teebird around 168g :thmbup:

i've got something totally different.

Gateway Apache in baseline plastic....great for a straight driver till it beats in, then its a good turnover disc for a while

love my 173 slightly beat in Champ Eagle...flies so straight with excellent glide