• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Straight & Flat Swing Plane Does Not Exist!

Drew throwing "Straight & Flat" or really 20 degree diagonal to the left and 20 degree hyzer flip up to fly flat-ish and straight-ish.
m8Ntq28.png

20/20 disc golf vision

Interesting (although maybe not indicative of anything in particular) that Drew's arm angle seems to collapse to match the line of his throw.

Interesting (although maybe not indicative of anything in particular) that Drew's arm angle seems to collapse to match the line of his throw.
Arm/disc Lag/inertia following his stride direction.

Force is straight.

Moment (Arm) of Inertia explains Orangutan Factor

I'll check out AJ, but this one I don't buy.

If he were correct, and two golfers hit a ball with exactly the same club head speed, but one was Wristy and the other had the arm in line, one would hit the ball 4 times as far.

The golf research shows that at impact, the 7 ounce head impacts the 1.6 ounce ball as if it were unconnected to the shaft, just the impact of two free objects.

I'll check out AJ, but this one I don't buy.

If he were correct, and two golfers hit a ball with exactly the same club head speed, but one was Wristy and the other had the arm in line, one would hit the ball 4 times as far.

The golf research shows that at impact, the 7 ounce head impacts the 1.6 ounce ball as if it were unconnected to the shaft, just the impact of two free objects.

Yeah, there is some fuzzy physics in there. I think the main point to takeaway is that the longer moment arm creates speed easier.

This is pretty cool.

sidewinder22 said:
Yeah, there is some fuzzy physics in there. I think the main point to takeaway is that the longer moment arm creates speed easier.

That makes sense. Maybe. Have to think about the flail/dingle arm.

I was surprised to learn which way a golf shaft flexes, some time ago.

I had thought as you start down the heavy clubhead should lag behind, and the shaft curve gently backward depending on how stiff it is.

But the opposite happens. As inertial forces try to straighten the arm-shaft connection, the clubhead is pulled forward, and the shaft bends forward delofting the face.

So, here is the thing. I totally understand the whole idea of getting on the front leg and loading it. I have difficulty doing that as I am currently recovering from a broken right ankle and two surgeries to repair it. I have been working on throwing from a standstill and have been getting more distance. What is interesting is that my throw and distance is getting better. I could use all the help I can get when it comes to getting better follow through. Thanks in advance and I will be looking into the videos here more

So, here is the thing. I totally understand the whole idea of getting on the front leg and loading it. I have difficulty doing that as I am currently recovering from a broken right ankle and two surgeries to repair it. I have been working on throwing from a standstill and have been getting more distance. What is interesting is that my throw and distance is getting better. I could use all the help I can get when it comes to getting better follow through. Thanks in advance and I will be looking into the videos here more

From my early but intense experiences here, I can say that a video form review is always the way to go. Even if your goal is just to make a few improvements, it's the only way to fully triage issues. There might be one or two major issues that have a surprisingly big effect on your swing mechanics that are hard to identify on your own. If you're anything like me, you'll discover all kinds of weird stuff your body does that you didn't intend. Even if you don't "take the red pill" and go all in, it's worth it.

Two quick things though:

1. Follow through - it is best to think about follow through as the outcome of good form. If you put your body into the position to begin, maintain, and end in balance, you will have follow through that improves w/ better and better form (see e.g., "Finish and Address Position" thread).

2. W.r.t. loading & injury history - with each iteration of form feedback (crediting SW22 again), in my case less and less strain moves through joints (I've injured several before), and more goes through the big muscles in the legs and core. The smaller muscles get recruited to support the throw. Drills will promote this change without requiring you to spend too much time overanalyzing the details. In your case, you will always need to recruit/use that ankle if you plant on it, but as form improves and smooths out it will take less and less of the burden. The plant leg will just end up inheriting your momentum briefly to transfer it up the chain to the disc.

Take it easy & slow. You came to the right place.

From my early but intense experiences here, I can say that a video form review is always the way to go. Even if your goal is just to make a few improvements, it's the only way to fully triage issues. There might be one or two major issues that have a surprisingly big effect on your swing mechanics that are hard to identify on your own. If you're anything like me, you'll discover all kinds of weird stuff your body does that you didn't intend. Even if you don't "take the red pill" and go all in, it's worth it.

Two quick things though:

1. Follow through - it is best to think about follow through as the outcome of good form. If you put your body into the position to begin, maintain, and end in balance, you will have follow through that improves w/ better and better form (see e.g., "Finish and Address Position" thread).

2. W.r.t. loading & injury history - with each iteration of form feedback (crediting SW22 again), in my case less and less strain moves through joints (I've injured several before), and more goes through the big muscles in the legs and core. The smaller muscles get recruited to support the throw. Drills will promote this change without requiring you to spend too much time overanalyzing the details. In your case, you will always need to recruit/use that ankle if you plant on it, but as form improves and smooths out it will take less and less of the burden. The plant leg will just end up inheriting your momentum briefly to transfer it up the chain to the disc.

Take it easy & slow. You came to the right place.

Thank you for that. As a matter of fact, I bought a pitching net for my little disc dude to practice this winter in the garage. I will do some video of my form in the next few days and will then share my videos. I really appreciate your message and am going to be working on form over the course of the winter.

If the shoulder/humerus is rotating like the ball and socket joint that it is, instead of folding and unfolding the humerus like a door hinge that is it not, then it is not collapsing.

Does this mean, that in its basic or perhaps rudimentary form, the pendulum should swing back and forth in an angle perpendicular to the shoulder axis (as seen from above)? By changing the shoulder axis, you change the direction of the swing?

The backswing in a standstill is pretty much like a toss in itself? Boule/horseshoe?

Does this mean, that in its basic or perhaps rudimentary form, the pendulum should swing back and forth in an angle perpendicular to the shoulder axis (as seen from above)? By changing the shoulder axis, you change the direction of the swing?

The backswing in a standstill is pretty much like a toss in itself? Boule/horseshoe?
I think of it more inline to the shoulder axis, one big lever.

Yes, backswing is a toss.

7ujiunZ.png

Well, I got out and played this morning shooting way over what I wanted. My putting game went out the window on most holes. Interestingly, after reading and looking at the posts in the list I was able to incorporate some of the moves into my throws. I am stoked to say that I actually had some of my best throws of the season. I shot almost 12 throws at 240+ feet. Now for a change of angle release and I should be good to go for some other changes.

A lot of good stuff in this one about the swing plane.

I noticed that Will Schusterick has seemed to change up his style recently, particularly in his backswing:
See this recent Instagram post:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CfhWPB3jnK2/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Given that Will already had one of the best strokes in the game, why do you think he switched it up? What advantage is to be gained with the exaggerated figure 8 style as opposed to a more straight-ish backswing?

I noticed that Will Schusterick has seemed to change up his style recently, particularly in his backswing:
See this recent Instagram post:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CfhWPB3jnK2/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Given that Will already had one of the best strokes in the game, why do you think he switched it up? What advantage is to be gained with the exaggerated figure 8 style as opposed to a more straight-ish backswing?

Interesting. I'm not sure it's just the backswing but his postures looks to have been adjusted overall. Maybe easier on his neck?

Interesting. I'm not sure it's just the backswing but his postures looks to have been adjusted overall. Maybe easier on his neck?

Yes, it looked like he was lining up much more diagonal/closed and reaching back straight behind that direction, but then he didn't pull/swing straight at all, he moved way outside before pulling back in. Maybe he has to do that or he will release early? He has a very long backswing and he has to time the acceleration to the hit?

But his actual swing seems to be exactly on the same plane that his shoulders are turning on. That's something I thought I did but just saw on a video that I wasn't even close.

Good point- Will did have an injury that sidelined him for a long time. Shoulder injury I think, but I don't know the details. These adjustments could be due to that. I wonder how this new style might be easier on his body.
What's interesting to me is the inside to outside movement at the top of his backswing, after all his old instructional videos preach the straight reachback along the trajectory line. Will's version here is really exaggerated, but a lot of pros seem to have a similar move, such as Adam Hammes and Alden Harris (although it is much more subtle). I can see how it could help with timing/rounding issues.

Here's another one of Will, it has a really interesting rhythm to it:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CfAglkPjkAP/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=