• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Straight Flying Fairway Driver?

Seppi

Well, I'm a newbie. My knowledge of discs is fairly limited, so I'm looking for a recommendation. Basically, I'm looking for a fairway driver that flies the way I throw it. If I throw it correctly and level, it will go straight.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

DX Leopard, hands down (as long as you don't torque it). If you can tolerate a touch of late fade, I like a Pro Leopard. This of course assumes you can even get a fairway driver up to speed. That is why many here recommend sticking to mids and putters when new (except for field work where you can play with drivers some).

You'll hear DX Leopard lot and rightfully so. The only other disc I like for this is a Pro D Cyclone.

I recently developed the arm speed to throw a fairway driver. I have a Cheetah and I love it, but it turns hard right. Can I ask why DX and not Champion or Star??

Well DX is suggested because it is a cheap way to try out new discs. It's also less stable and gives a newer player a chance to see how discs break in with wear. However, if you're throwing farther a Pro plastic leopard or an X plastic Cyclone would be good.

I have a Cheetah and I love it, but it turns hard right. Can I ask why DX and not Champion or Star??

Yeah, if your DX Cheetah is doing that, then your new DX Leopard will be doing that in no time.

The problem, though, is a max weight champ or star Leopard can be a meathook in comparison.

That's why I like 150 gram champ Leopards. Consistently flippy and durable. If you can get your hands on one, that'll be worth 10 DX ones.

... is nobody going to ask how far this guy throws and what the distance on these lines he's asking?

I'd get a Pro Leopard and a DX Leopard. They will both fade at first, but the DX Leopard will beat in straight quickly and then get flippy, which can be very useful. The Pro Leopard will soon beat in straight and stay there for a long time.

If the choice is to use an Axiom Crave, how far you throw or the power generated is not really relative. The HSS and LSS are near identical in this disc. I do think the Proton plastic is a bit more over-stable that Neutron.

Axiom Crave. its a better quality DX teebird flying disc'

i disagree.

i find that mine flies much more like a seasoned eagle. there is turn and there is fade, not like a teebird. the overall direction is very straight, but the flight path is not.

OP, the teebird flies straight. get a dx to start with or a gstar. those are the two straightest flying teebirds out there, with the DX being good for beginners as it seasons. it will be decent even for a beginner like yourself, powering down very well. if not at first, as it beats in it will be perfect. so i'm not really worried about how far you're throwing. *shrug* if you don't throw far at all, get a comet.

Last edited:

Latest posts