• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Straight Flying Fairway Driver?

i disagree.

i find that mine flies much more like a seasoned eagle. there is turn and there is fade, not like a teebird. the overall direction is very straight, but the flight path is not.

OP, the teebird flies straight. get a dx to start with or a gstar. those are the two straightest flying teebirds out there, with the DX being good for beginners as it seasons. it will be decent even for a beginner like yourself, powering down very well. if not at first, as it beats in it will be perfect. so i'm not really worried about how far you're throwing. *shrug* if you don't throw far at all, get a comet.

weird.. there is some tailwind in this video so they fade out but the crave is one of the straighter discs I have ever thrown. Older strikers and DX teebirds or qjls are really the only others with similar feel and flight. A stalker flies similar lines too I guess. Lots of people have compared it to a TB.

weird.. there is some tailwind in this video so they fade out but the crave is one of the straighter discs I have ever thrown. Older strikers and DX teebirds or qjls are really the only others with similar feel and flight. A stalker flies similar lines too I guess. Lots of people have compared it to a TB.

lotta hyzerflips in that tailwind.

a good dx teebird and a gstar teebird fly straight when released flat. at lower power the crave will too, but it will also likely fade more than a dx teebird.

i think it's a wonderful little disc and that's why i bag it, i just disagree with the TB comparison. to each their own. i only throw three fairways, myself - champ teebird, gstar teebird and the crave.

I'll second the earlier TL comment. I use one now as my 'turnover Teebird' but for a newer player, it is relatively easy to get up to speed and loves to go straight.

a good dx teebird and a gstar teebird fly straight when released flat. at lower power the crave will too, but it will also likely fade more than a dx teebird.

i think it's a wonderful little disc and that's why i bag it, i just disagree with the TB comparison. to each their own. i only throw three fairways, myself - champ teebird, gstar teebird and the crave.

From a fellow noob with both a GSTAR and a few DX teebirds... at noob power levels the GSTAR will be much more OS than the DX out of the box and that gap will only grow as they season in. I'd definitely recommend the DX to start with as it'll quickly season into straight even at noob power levels. On the course I use my DX 3-4x as much as my GSTAR. Just toss your 2 birds on a 200' throw and you'll see the difference. As I've gained distance this gap has certainly narrowed, but it is still there.

I recently developed the arm speed to throw a fairway driver. I have a Cheetah and I love it, but it turns hard right. Can I ask why DX and not Champion or Star??

Different plastics will fly differently. For example, in mids I bag an X Buzzz and a Z Buzzz because they are completely different flights with the same feel in the hand (the same reason many players cycle or "beat in" one mold or disc to different degrees to handle all the flights they need).

As I mentioned, a Pro Leo will exhibit a bit more late fade than a DX Leo. It will also tolerate a tiny bit more torque (actually OAT) and have a bit more HSS (resist right turn). Star Plastic even more so. Champ is another animal altogether (for me) and is so OS in most molds that I don't bother with it except in molds that I want to preserve their OS qualities indefinitely.

The only disadvantage to DX plastic is that its flight characteristics will change faster due to wear. As JenB mentioned, it will start with a little fade when new, beat to straight and then after a period start to turn right (for RHBH). How long it stays in this "sweet spot" depends on how many trees you hit and how abusive the landing surface. More durable discs like Pro, Star and Champ will take longer to "beat in" but will usually stay in the sweet spot longer.

Also, when I first developed some arm speed and started "turning" discs as you describe with your Cheetah, it was me (off axis torque or wrist roll) and not the disc. It will be up to you to clean up your form if needed and not compensate with more OS discs. This may not be the case though, as the Cheetah does have some negative HSS before the fade kicks in. A DX Leopard will tell you whether it is you or the disc for sure. Just remember, slow is smooth and smooth is far.

From a fellow noob with both a GSTAR and a few DX teebirds... at noob power levels the GSTAR will be much more OS than the DX out of the box and that gap will only grow as they season in. I'd definitely recommend the DX to start with as it'll quickly season into straight even at noob power levels. On the course I use my DX 3-4x as much as my GSTAR. Just toss your 2 birds on a 200' throw and you'll see the difference. As I've gained distance this gap has certainly narrowed, but it is still there.

Definitely agree that dx will be the better option, much less power sensitive to get "up to speed" and more inherent glide to get more distance out of less power. Good call.

You have to have at least 300 feet of power for that. And even then, Volts have a pretty decent fade.

That would be the case for most fairway drivers. If he wants a lower speed straight disc, try a Buzzz ss or a truth.

very few newbs can throw a new Tee Bird straight - it's a fairly OS mold. A TL might even be a bit much.

Leopard, leopard, leopard...anyone who says otherwise is lion.

That would be the case for most fairway drivers. If he wants a lower speed straight disc, try a Buzzz ss or a truth.

A lighter Switch (and to be fair, a DX Leo and probably 10 other fairways) would be great discs for a beginner.

Actually, I would also recommend the Zombee. It's a tick slower than a fairway, easy to control, versatile, and has great glide.

I would say Pro Leopard as a step up from DX Cheetah. Will beat in to a great turnover driver, hyzerflip straight disc. Leopards have less fade then a Teebird so probably better for his assuming less then 300 feet of power.

I would say Pro Leopard as a step up from DX Cheetah. Will beat in to a great turnover driver, hyzerflip straight disc. Leopards have less fade then a Teebird so probably better for his assuming less then 300 feet of power.

^This. All day long.

The Pro Leopard is what you are looking for if you seek a straight fairway driver.

If a Teebird, and want something more durable, then StarLite. I am loving my 150g StarLite Teebird, and looking at getting another to slap a Disc Beeper on.

I've been told that the StarLite molds were tweaked so that they would fly more like DX would for the molds.

a good dx teebird and a gstar teebird fly straight when released flat. at lower power the crave will too, but it will also likely fade more than a dx teebird..

There will always be some discrepancy given power level and style of play but something I always fall back on is from the DGR Article Blake wrote up on Disc Evaluation. This part specifically applies:

Stable Discs
....the "best" stable drivers are the discs that are the most high-speed stable (without being overstable at high speeds) with the least low-speed fade....
.... keep in mind that this does not mean the discs have to fly straight when thrown flat. Some of the straightest discs on the market fly best when thrown with a bit of hyzer angle and flatten and "lock in" at flat without turning over. These discs generally fly understable when thrown flat, but I consider them to be stable drivers since they do hold the idealized stable flight path (often better than discs that must be thrown flat)... Finding the best stable disc for your own power level can be difficult.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/discevaluation.shtml

While discs like a pro/DX leo are very straight they wont stay that way for as long nor is it much different from a cheetah if that's turning over hard for the OP. There is a big difference in recommending a disc to someone who is just looking for X flight vs trying to improve their technique/game etc...

Most stable discs which fly very straight given a little bit of hyzer for bigger power players will also fly very straight for less powerful players when thrown flat and the overall change in stability is fairly minimal across the plastic/power/playing style spectrum. If I crank on a seasoned dx leo its not going to fly straight for me at all-- that's the point to my recommendation as sure A crave/TB might fade out but for the lifetime of a single disc they are going to be much straighter for much longer and the superior stable mold.

We could recommend a champion polecat if it was a matter of being straight I don't think you can get more of a straight shooting disc lol.

If a Teebird, and want something more durable, then StarLite. I am loving my 150g StarLite Teebird, and looking at getting another to slap a Disc Beeper on.

I've been told that the StarLite molds were tweaked so that they would fly more like DX would for the molds.

My 150 starlite teebird flies about the same as my fresh 167 dx bird...maybe ever so slightly more stable and about the same distance. My newish 168 gstar bird is more OS and 10' shorter than my starlight. My beat 167 DX bird is less stable (will turn slightly on a 250' toss w/ no wind) and is usually ~5 ft longer than my starlight.

Prodigy f7. Throw it on a line and it will stay on that line. Dont torque it tho or it will be a turnover driver.

Latest posts