• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Straight upshots/drives: Axiom Proxy vs Lat64 Pure

Tagging you here Mike because you know your gyro.

I'm looking for options to bag as a neutral putter alongside an Envy. I'm wondering if maybe the Proxy is a little too fast for what I'm looking for, which is a putter that won't fall out of the air when powered down and will instead stay straight to the ground. I don't mind and in fact might appreciate a controllable flip up on 200 ft shots and out.

In your experience, can the Proxy handle lower power shots or should I look elsewhere?

I'm no Mike but absolutely. Proxy is straight as an arrow on low powered shots bh or fh. Nothing better than Proxy for what you are looking for, IMO.

I'm no Mike but absolutely. Proxy is straight as an arrow on low powered shots bh or fh. Nothing better than Proxy for what you are looking for, IMO.

Looks like ThomasOrion niced you so I will consider that a second. Do the rest of you guys agree? Does the Proxy really hold a low powered anny to the ground? I'm talking like, "float one up to an island basket" style shots. Thanks!

Proxy is the straighest disc off the shelf ever made and i loved the grip line pures back in the day which seemed magical until a proxy came around.

Looks like ThomasOrion niced you so I will consider that a second. Do the rest of you guys agree? Does the Proxy really hold a low powered anny to the ground? I'm talking like, "float one up to an island basket" style shots. Thanks!

If you want it to hold Anny longer get Plasma - My Plasma Proxy 174g is smooth and can be thrown with finesse on really straight lines but for most throws it fly's a lil' understable - not a LOT - but a lil enough to drift to the Right and hold - Neutron is more stable but as the new flight #'s suggest - 3/3/-1/0.5 seems very accurate - for touch approaches its very straight and will still sometimes fade - always depends on the thrower - the plastic - the weight - the power - the conditions, etc, etc of course ----but it is a great floaty approach disc - I think of it as a Faster Nova. But feels better -

The Proxy is not floaty. It's fast and straight.

Yeah, it needs some speed to activate the glide. For a low powered anny to the ground I'd say you're better off with beat up conventional putters (i.e. Aviar) or understable putters (Swan, Spin, etc).

Or a Polecat (or reasonable facsimile).

Not that you need a second Proxy but I have had the shots you are craving with a 170 plasma just straight out of the box it flys great for me flys like a seasoned Envy with no fade. Anny to the ground and glidey? Brother Dave called in the Spin, the glidiest most understable MVP putter around, that's what I pack for that slot but nothing wrong with that Proxy!

Not that you need a second Proxy but I have had the shots you are craving with a 170 plasma just straight out of the box it flys great for me flys like a seasoned Envy with no fade. Anny to the ground and glidey? Brother Dave called in the Spin, the glidiest most understable MVP putter around, that's what I pack for that slot but nothing wrong with that Proxy!

I am considering picking up another Spin just for this shot. I use a Wedge right now, but it's so fast, and I just moved near a shorter course recently, and found myself wanting a slower floaty anny.

The straightest overmolded disc I know of is,

the Nova.

The Nova is nice and straight thrown more like a traditional putter, and the Proxy is a lazer thrown more like a mid. Both are capable of similar lines but get there is slightly different ways.

Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but I have specific questions regarding the Pure vs Proxy.

I've been bagging an Opto Pure that I use for driving, approach & putting. However, my son is making a strong move to commandeer it, so... I'm thinking about giving it to him and using this as an opportunity to try a Proxy. It sounds like the feel in hand & flights are very similar between the two, and I am Gyro-curious. LOL I'm not sure which plastic will be most similar to my Opto Pure, though.

I prefer a firmer feel and more durable plastic, so I'm not looking at Electron. Right now, it seems like the Proxy is most readily available in Plasma & Eclipse 2.0. My research has me concerned that the Plasma will be too OS out of the box, gets floppy in the heat and doesn't have the best grip. This leads me to the Eclipse 2.0. Most reviews say the Eclipse 2.0 is pretty true to the flight numbers. But, in most other company plastics, the glow is typically more OS. I guess I'd just like some confirmation that Eclipse 2.0 really does fly true it's numbers, and would love to hear from anyone that's thrown both the Opto Pure & Eclipse 2.0 Proxy.

Thanks for any help.

I only own Proxys in Neutron, but my experience is, glow has the least effect on stability in putters. I probably already said this earlier in the thread, but I go back and forth between Pure and Proxy with zero adjustment.

Tagging you here Mike because you know your gyro.

I'm looking for options to bag as a neutral putter alongside an Envy. I'm wondering if maybe the Proxy is a little too fast for what I'm looking for, which is a putter that won't fall out of the air when powered down and will instead stay straight to the ground. I don't mind and in fact might appreciate a controllable flip up on 200 ft shots and out.

In your experience, can the Proxy handle lower power shots or should I look elsewhere? The Nova basically is what comes to mind but I'm not sure I love the Innova over mold.

My apologies for such a late reply.

Been a few years since I've thrown a Pure or Nova, so keep that in mind with this post.

The Proxy does feel a little faster in the air compared to the Nova and Pure.

It also feels more true stable to me. The Pure and Nova feel that way at common approach distances (150' and in) but I found using either off the tee for 200-350' shots they felt understable.

In comparison the Proxy still flies true stable for me out to about 350', and it's only in the 350'-420' range that it starts to turn. This is with the seasoned one I bag, mind you. My brand new backup Proxy's can handle a little more oomph and still fly dead straight without needing to add some hyzer.

So if you're looking for a 100% dead neutral disc for 150' and shorter shots, yes the Proxy can cover that role without dumping out into a fade at the end - but you might find discs like the Pure and Nova fit that range better depending on your style.

My style for approaches is to throw basic straight to fade shots fh or bh depending on the line needed. I like to give my putters a fairly crisp release in this range and keep them low with a touch of hyzer. This gives me grrat consistency.

Lots of players prefer to use glidier upshot discs and lean more on their backhand throw than forehand. They'll utilize different angles of release and use more of a touch throw form than me. For these style throwers I think the Pure / Nova style disc is a great option. Or if you're looking at the MVP family, maybe an Anode or something.

The Proxy is pure magic for me and it's one of those discs I really feel everyone should try. But depending on how you approach the upshot game, and whether or not you like to use your putters as short range drivers, will influence what fits this role best for your style.

I played with someone yesterday who loves gyro throwing putters (as do I) and he was throwing an Eclipse Proxy. Said out of the box it wasn't very proxy-like (i.e. slightly US). He's been throwing it a couple months and said it's just start to beat in to fly like a proxy. Based on the way it was flying in the wind, it appeared to be a little OS compared to most proxies (not horribly so, but definitely a notch more OS than what you'd see a proxy do typically)

I know you said electron is out...I'll make a quick pitch for Cosmic Electron Firm. It's more durable and not "floppy" like some of the electron plastic while still having a great feel/grip in the hand. I also like Plasma, I don't find it too OS out of the box, but I do find it gets floppy/soft in the heat. The grip in the heat is fine for me (the grip in the cold is not IMO). The grip in the heat feels like a normal-temp gstar plastic (which is what I like) but in the cold feels harder like a champion plastic (and I don't like champion much in the cold, not grippy enough).

If you want durable but still proxy-like numbers, I'd suggest neutron.

The Proxy does feel a little faster in the air compared to the Nova and Pure.

It also feels more true stable to me. The Pure and Nova feel that way at common approach distances (150' and in) but I found using either off the tee for 200-350' shots they felt understable.

In my experience these are the key discrepancies...I like a soft neutron envy and a medium electron envy for throwing duties. For throwing putters from MVP it seems like Plasma tends to be pretty stable, neutron/soft neutron fly true to the numbers. eclipse is a definite tick down in stability but not by much, then electron.

I love the pure for putting and anything I need straight and floaty for about 225. Once I start to push the 250' my Gold-X pure will hold this really nice line that drifts to the right. Enough nose up or height and it will fade back. Otherwise it's just gone. My beat envy is what I throw when I want straight with no fade out of a putter and it can take more force.

For me the Opto Pure is magical. Dead straight although I only throw it 230' max or so. Holds any line.

I've only tried one Proxy, it was a cosmic neutron. It seemed to drift right more when powered (RHBH). For approaches I liked it about as much as the Pure, but I went back the the Pure.

I bag opto pures and got myself a plasma proxy. Can't really tell a diffence in flight other than pure needs a bit more height. So now pure is gone as I play a lot of wooded courses where high tree kicks usually spell disaster. Use them up to 300'.

At this point I bag a Proxy, Envy, Zone combo, and am working in a Dagger (my putting putter) for short floaty ups.

Latest posts